PDA

View Full Version : Popping the quilt

dave.king1
29-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Seeking guidance here because as usual I'm in 3 or 4 minds about the best way to go.

As most are aware I'm doing a Tuff Dog tribute based on a TL-1Q and want the quilt to pop under the DT Cooloongatta Gold.

Should I use a maple or similar Timbermate or do a light DT Black Stump wipe and sand it back, the very thin cap worries me quite a bit on this course of action.

wazkelly
29-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Hi Dave, personally I reckon it is too risky trying to timbermate quilted tops and also think inks or stains is equally as risky however if you feel you must then black fountain pen ink is about the safest option and it does dissolve in water thus allowing you to wash and wipe plenty of it off without having to sand much, if any at all.

The nature of DT CG once the instensifiers are applied that tends to make things pop in shades of the same colour if that makes sense.

Simon Barden
30-01-2017, 01:58 AM
The maple of a quilted top has closed pores, so there's not really anything for the Timbermate to fill. It's all going to sit on the surface. Using Timbermate on the quilt would only have any use as a means of applying some stain - with the drawback that you're probably going to end up sanding off more of the veneer than it you simply lightly stained it and then sanded it back.

dave.king1
30-01-2017, 04:19 AM
Thanks guys, CG only it is then

Andy40
07-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Sorry DK, just caught the thread. I know you made up your mind but as DT is oil based, popping the grain with it requires a bit of sanding....might be a bit hard on a thin quilt.

dave.king1
07-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Thanks Andy, not touched it yet because it's been too bloody hot.

I'll see if I can find some maple quilt somewhere to stuff around with before I commit to the body

christodav
09-02-2017, 05:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCOGyId9pTs

You might like to watch some of this blokes videos if you haven't already seen his work to get some ideas with dyes.

Chris

ILRGuitars
09-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Hi Dave. Just saw this post. I used a very diluted Feast Weston Japan Black wash on my TL-1Q (diluted with turps or metho...can't remember), wiped off the excess and repeated as necessary. I then added the colour burst (diluted with water). I only sanded it back with a kitchen nylon scourer to remove the raised grain.

I did a fair bit of testing on scrap first (highly recommended!!!). Not sure how it will work with the gold but I hope this helps.