PDA

View Full Version : Ib-6s finish

Petrus_Bass
26-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Hi

I'm waiting for my IB-6S kit and I'm looking for how to finish it.

I have no to much experience and I want to know if everyone of you give me a hand about how to get this

I know it won't be easy, but it is too much cool to not try it XD

Andy40
31-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Thats definitley got a flamed maple cap, which the IB6S doesn't have but i assume you knew that. The bust is unusual, but not impossible. If you were in Australia, I would point you in the direction of U-beaut dyes, which are water based. I've seen a couple of greeny blue bursts done with those dyes. The purple can just be mixed by using the colours. The finish is just a satin finish so either a satin based acrylic or poly spray, or if you use shellac or tru oil, just don't sand to full shine.

Thats the best I can give you at the moment with the time that i have tonight.:cool:

wazkelly
05-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Hi Petrus, the IB-6 comes with a spalted maple top not flame as shown in that picture so not sure if you would want to destroy what could look very cool in it's own right. If you sculptured the rounded edges it could also end up with a similar look. Those control knobs look like they are wooden and probably turned on a lathe or decent sized bits of dowel sanded down to size.

All up, quite an ambitious project and wish you lots of luck.

Simon Barden
05-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Those control knobs look like they are wooden and probably turned on a lathe or decent sized bits of dowel sanded down to size.

They are definitely two-part knobs, with a fancy wooden button on the top, and something else for the base (difficult to tell from the photo). They look like they've got a rubber insert running around near the top, probably to give a good grip. They may be home-made, but there are lots of knob suppliers out there where you can get something out of the ordinary e.g. http://www.bill-lewington.com/qparts/dome.htm

Petrus_Bass
07-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Thanks,

I talked a friend that works as luthier sometimes and explain me (more or less) how to do it.
I'm thinking about a plan b, but I will make some tests with an old bass to take some experience before do it.

I'll show you, pray for me XD

Petrus_Bass
07-02-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm from Spain Andy, not easy that you helped on site. Thanks anyway