PDA

View Full Version : That humbling moment when...

Bass Guy
22-01-2017, 03:25 PM
...one of the world's best guitarists likes your inelegant riffing on facebook....😮😮

Dedman
22-01-2017, 03:33 PM
bravo!
:cool:

andrewdosborne
22-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Nice one!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Bass Guy
22-01-2017, 03:48 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154069092390124&id=708560123

Link attached for the amusement of the omnes.

dave.king1
22-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Very nice indeed.

I thought this was going to be something like when my band supported Jeff St John & Copperwine and held our own so felt absolutely full of our own self importance only to support Kavas Jute to following week and being blown so farinto the weeds by Dennis Wilson & Tim Gaze with their blazing twin guitar attack we didn't know our ar5e from our elbow ( also heard King Crimson for the first time that night after the show )

So bad there was nearly a pre CBS Fender inferno in the back yard

Bass Guy
22-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Yikes- I bet KC was a huge wake up call! They were/are a terrifying group!

Bass Guy
22-01-2017, 04:11 PM
For those unfamiliar with Ben Lacy, get ready to catch your jaws as they drop...

https://youtu.be/jnhM7Jo5Uzc

dave.king1
22-01-2017, 04:20 PM
KC fortunately was only on vinyl but having held our own beside Ross East, Harry Brus & JSJ the Kavas Jute assault just destroyed us and then when we sat down to talk the night through and work out where we needed to go next Roo said have a listen to these guys.

Kavas Jute also included Bob Daisley & Danny Davidson on bass and drums so it was a stupidly solid riffathon, a combination of the best of Mecca and Taman Shud.

The local music scene was just so strong back then, would be nice if it could come back but regulations mean those sweaty club & pub day are long behind us

dave.king1
22-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, the beer made me do it :D

wazkelly
22-01-2017, 06:53 PM
For those unfamiliar with Ben Lacy, get ready to catch your jaws as they drop...

https://youtu.be/jnhM7Jo5Uzc

Man, think I just broke my Jaw!

Listened to about 5 of his songs on YT and he is just amazing and quite diverse in genre of songs played too.

Simon Barden
22-01-2017, 07:17 PM
He's very good. I'm not normally someone who likes this sort of thing - but I like his sort of thing!

Simon Barden
22-01-2017, 07:26 PM
On the subject of humbling moments....

My mate Ivan lived in Nashville for the best part of 15 years during the '80s/early '90s and played bass with several different bands in the area and got to know a lot of the local pros pretty well. One day he was sat at a gig when the bassist in the band, his friend Victor Wooten, looked in his direction and spoke into the microphone. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I see we have in the audience one of the greatest bass players I have ever known". Ivan gets quite excited. "Would you like to come up and and play the next song with us?" at which Ivan starts rising from his chair, only to be beaten to it by the guy sitting next to him. He's been sitting next to Donald 'Duck' Dunn and hadn't realised it.

Bass Guy
22-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Ouch! That's definitely humbling.

The closest I get is the Crimson ProjeKct gig. After the band all agreed to autograph Claymore (my first Chapman Stick) Adrian Belew and Tony Levin were soundchecking. Belew casts his gaze in my direction as I sit enthralled with Claymore on my knee... and says into the mic "I think we found your replacement, Tony... "

If ever I wished the earth to open up and swallow me whole, it was then.

Simon Barden
22-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Ha! :) Nice one.