PDA

View Full Version : An EP with Pitbull guitar/bass

ihasmario
21-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Hey guys,

I made an EP that uses my bass and guitars from pitbull guitars.
My two favourite tracks -
The track "Slip Away" features my J-bass and Telecaster "Plus" (not quite tuned!)
The track "Change" features my Telecaster "Plus" in the chorus and my J-Bass
I recommend listening to these two tracks if you don't have time to sit through 30 minutes of average singing or don't care for dancey music

The track "Into The Night" features my J-Bass and my "Starcaster". The other tracks with guitar either have

soundcloud.com/leadlights/sets/birdsongs

I'd really appreciate some comments/feedback. Unfortunately I set myself a deadline so some of the finer points of mastering aren't polished (eg. it fades out too often or there are a few seconds of silence at the end of a track). But as I did all of it myself (all the instruments etc are me) I would really appreciate any feedback - even if it's on like mastering/mixing which I haven't really done properly before.

Fretworn
22-01-2017, 10:53 AM
I'll be honest, its not the type of music I would normally listen to but, you've done a really great job. And don't doubt your vocals they are perfect for the music you have written here.

I've followed you on Soundcloud, I can imagine listening to this while I'm working.

ihasmario
22-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Hey Fretty,

Thanks for the listens, follows and feedback.

What are your favourite bands you listen to? Always looking to listen to new stuff.

Fretworn
23-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Hey Fretty,

Thanks for the listens, follows and feedback.

What are your favourite bands you listen to? Always looking to listen to new stuff.

What day is it? I own over 700 different cds, records, music dvds, mp3 albums. I'm a very restless listener. I range anywhere from Classic Rock to Blues to Jazz to modern prog to Russian folk music. There is very little in the realms of Opera, Country, Hip Hop or top 40 dance music that appeals to me at all. The last albums I have bought are -

the re-issue of Ron Bumblefoot Thal's "Hermit" album (waiting for delivery on this one.)
Blackfield's "NYC" live CD/DVD
Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" (final bought myself a copy)
The first five Toto albums (one of those Classic Albums box sets)
Ben Folds Five "Whatever and Ever Amen"
Rockenfield Speer's "Hells Canyon"

Simon Barden
23-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Really nice stuff. I'd mix the vocals a bit louder - don't be afraid of hearing your voice! It's not always easy mixing your own recordings as it's hard to be objective.

Simon Barden
23-01-2017, 05:25 PM
The CD standard originally demanded a 2 second period of silence at the start of each track, not sure if it still does. But don't be afraid of having a bit of silence at the beginning and end of each track.

ihasmario
25-01-2017, 01:54 PM
The CD standard originally demanded a 2 second period of silence at the start of each track, not sure if it still does. But don't be afraid of having a bit of silence at the beginning and end of each track.

Hey Simon, thanks for the info. Didn't know that. I knew they all had like smooth transitions but didn't know about the silence. If I ever fix some of the problems rather than move on I'll definitely add these!

Thanks for the listen too

Simon Barden
25-01-2017, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure how the standard coped with music that flowed from one track to another - especially live albums with crowd noise in-between songs. I'd imagine they must have changed the standard to cope, - but at least it did start off that way and I do ensure a I put a 2 second silence at the start of my tracks.

JohnH
30-05-2017, 10:05 AM
This is great! Just the right tempo for me at the minute (I've been listening to Darkher's 'Realms' on repeat - really nice and slow). I agree with Simon that the vocals could be a little louder, but apart from that I really enjoyed it.

dave.king1
30-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Don't mind that at all, not really my kind of music either but it really is nicely put together.

I agree with Simon the vocals need to come further forward, no vocalist should ever mix because they generally don't like hearing their own voice.

OliSam
30-05-2017, 02:51 PM
I don't think the vocals should be forward.
I interpreted this music as moody-kinda-soundtrack-chill stuff and it sounded ok by me.

Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

dave.king1
30-05-2017, 03:11 PM
I don't think the vocals should be forward.
I interpreted this music as moody-kinda-soundtrack-chill stuff and it sounded ok by me.
Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

You're the producer so who are we to argue :)

Edited to add. Once you have a track where you think it needs to be your ears will probably be tired, let it rest for a few days and go and record something new / go for a drive / dig the garden or whatever.

Then go back to it and put the one track on repeat and just listen, if nothing jumps out at you you're done but I can guarantee that if there is something minor in there you've missed before it will be sending you mental after half a dozen spins.

Do you A/B you recordings through your mixing rig with a commercial product that has the feel and production qualities you are looking for.

Make sure you mix at volumes where you could hold a normal conversation over the top of it, everything sounds better and fuller when played loud

Also make sure you play each version of the mix through a number of different systems, your mix speakers and headphones should be very flat.
a. mix setup
b. home stereo
c. car stereo
d. phone/iPad earbuds

Probably telling you nothing you haven't heard before but these are all pearls of wisdom I have received over time from recording professionals.

( quite possibly I don't listen this wisdom as closely as I should because I still get bruises when I get another set of ears to have a listen and critique )

dave.king1
30-05-2017, 03:51 PM
G'day again Oli,

Have you had a look at Into The Night in a spectrum analyser, I use Voxengo SPAN which is free.

There's a lot or rumble right down at the bottom coming in with the kick, try a high pass on your EQ at 40Hz on each track but that one in particular.

In that track there's a lot of stuff happening down there and it's only inaudible mud which muddies the bass & kick and takes away headroom that could be used elsewhere.

Also have you mixed everything straight down the middle.

I'm liking this one a lot but the main voice seems crowded with too much in the same frequency range occupying the same sonic space.

ie. synth, lead vocal and harmony voices all down the middle.

Percussion and bass down the middle with the lead vocal and the guitars, synths & harmonies panned off to the sides to make a nest for the lead voice, then bring your lead instruments into the middle in the solo sections.

You could also try pulling the snare back a bit and add a bit of verb to it

JMTBW. feel free to ignore