PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Of Memories

dave.king1
15-01-2017, 06:59 PM
One of the originals I have been putting together with my mates, we play country music and early 60s style pop & rockabilly but somehow the darkness of the lyrics carried me away once I started putting it together I guess my prog rock and classical roots are showing

https://soundcloud.com/suthol/gathering-of-memories

Written by Bob Browne

Bob Browne - Vocals
Max Richards - Harmony vocal
Dave King - Guitars & Bass, MIDI, recording & production ( recorded at Dead Mouse Studios )

Strings & Drums are MIDI, 7 tracks in total of Vocals, Strings & Drums, 1 track of bass and 13 tracks of guitars

Yamaha bass, STA1, Shergold Masquarader, Squier CVC Thinline

I can still hear a few things I will change and would love to add tympani but that would have to be done with care so it doesn't flood the sound.

Any and all comments welcome

wazkelly
15-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Hi Dave, yep, UK sounding prog rock roots shining through alright. Could also picture tymp's under the keyboard fanfare parts.

Cheers, Waz

dave.king1
15-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Hi Dave, yep, UK sounding prog rock roots shining through alright. Could also picture tymp's under the keyboard fanfare parts.

Cheers, Waz

Loved Gentle Giant back in the day and still listen to their stuff regularly, we won't go near their vocal structures or time changes though my mates would have a brain explosion if I suggested something in 13/8.

I really wanted this one to be in Dm because it is the darkest of keys but the voices weren't going to go there without too much massaging and we have to be able to do it live.

Age wise I am 68, Bob is 71 and Max 72 so what we are trying to do is to get all of our 100+ originals recorded to at least this standard so our families have something more than words one paper, 7 down and sh1tloads to go but being far less complex progress should be quicker.

The real problem is as we record them I write the guitar parts and promptly forget what I have done so have to go back and relearn :(

wazkelly
16-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Too funny Dave.

You wouldn't be the only muso to forget parts of your own songs.

I remember when Kiss reformed with their original lineup a few years ago they had Tommy Thayer brought in to teach Ace Frehley all the original parts & solos and when they got to Oz they booted him off the tour and replaced him with the guy hired to teach him how to play his own parts. How sad and embarrassing but I suppose that is what lots of booze and drugs can end up doing to someone.