PDA

View Full Version : Totally Confused by PB LP Wiring Diagram

GregLane
11-01-2017, 11:35 AM
I have just successfully wire my LP1-MQ i.e. it makes the proper guitar noises (well the ones I make with a guitar) but the knobs are working in reverse.
After some initial discussion with members it appears that I have read the PB wiring diagram incorrectly.
The diagram is the PB 2 Humbucker, 4 Pot and 3 way switch.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't understand the diagram. I cannot decide what I am actually looking at.
Am I looking at:

1. The top of the guitar as if the pots have been placed upside down on the cap? With this view the components are in the correct position (except switch) except the caps are upside down.

2. The top of the guitar with the pots correctly installed and the soldering tabs are visible as if I am looking through cap? The components are in the correct position and correctly installed. I assumed I was looking at the top of the caps from the top of the guitar with the diagram showing the soldering locations. This was the basis for my installation.

3. The bottom of the guitar looking into the electrics cavity. Am I looking at the top or bottom of the pot In this view all components are upside down and back to front on the paper.

4. Are the pots top up(shaft up) or bottom up when indicating the soldering spots.

I think I need to buy another set of pots as it will be a bit difficult to desolder the grounded tabs. But I would like to have this resolved before I get the soldering iron out again.

wokkaboy
11-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Hi Greg you are over complicating the diagram. The diagram is shown so the neck pots and bridge pots align with the corresponding pickup so ignore where the pot is shown in relation to the correct locations. The important thing is the start and end of each wire goes to the correct location.
The diagram I view it as looking from the bottom in the control cavity so you are looking at the pot casings.
Maybe send us a photo of your control cavity, sounds like you just need to reverse the wires going to both volume pots so looking at the back of the pots with lugs downwards pickup hot wire should be left and middle to the switch and right will be ground as Weirdy said.
With the tone pots looking at the back with lugs down middle should be capacitor to ground and right lug to left lug of volume pot.

I think the confusion is also the orientation of the pots should have volume and tone opposing each other.

Hope this makes sense

wokkaboy
11-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Hi Greg try this diagram might be easier to read the pot locations are neck vol/tone on bottom and bridge vol/tone on top looking from the back of the body so reverse these. The pot orientation how they should be.
Ignore the 2 wires taped together these are coil splittable pickups.

GregLane
11-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Thanks again Guys. I will go back to my Build Diary with a question about replacements.