PDA

View Full Version : Advice please! re spraying over a stain

Vicarious
09-01-2017, 12:13 PM
So I was 'umm-ing' and 'ahh-ing' about whether to stain or just spray the body of my guitar kit and after much debate with myself went with staining (figured it would be easier) even though it wasn't really the colour I truly wanted.
After looking at it a few times (after having applied a coat of stain already) I came to the realisation I should have just sprayed it the colour I originally wanted....

Would I be best off just leaving it stained and save the colour I really wanted for another kit or is it easy enough to just sand back and prime/spray over a stain? How would I go about that without making it look horrendous. It's not a bad colour at all, I just kind of decided after the fact I probably should have gone with my first choice.

tl;dr Just wanted advice as to whether possible and not too hard to spray over an existing stain. Cheers

wokkaboy
09-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Hi Vicarious,
welcome to the forum. What kit is it you started staining ? Should be easy to sand off the bulk of the stain and be worth grain filling with timbermate before you spray the primer coat.

Vicarious
09-01-2017, 12:26 PM
It's a tele style kit I received for chrissy from the girlfriend and she's said its either an ash body or alder (starts with A) so I don't even 100% know haha. Although this is a picture of what I have done to it.16274

edit: actually looks like its the TL-1A from the pictures on the pit bull site

dave.king1
09-01-2017, 12:28 PM
G'day and welcome V, Grain looks like Ash

wokkaboy
09-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Hi Vicarous, yes its an ash grain tele kit. Best to sand as much of the stain off as you can and ash is a coarse grain so you will definitely need to grain fill and sand back before you apply the primer coat.

Vicarious
09-01-2017, 12:43 PM
okay thanks guys, so just timbermate from bunnings. Sand it back, apply a primer, spray then top coat? how long would you leave it between the steps? appreciate your help!

wokkaboy
09-01-2017, 12:51 PM
curing times will depend where you live - climate and what type of paint you choose to spray. Steer away from acrylics take too long to cure.
Sand off the stain first and sand to about 240 or 320 grit - I assume you would have already sanded to about that level.
Make a timbermate slurry and wipe/scape it over the entire body, let dry at least 12 hours.
Sand that off and you should be ok for primer coats.

Vicarious
09-01-2017, 01:27 PM
awesome, thank you for your help!