PDA

View Full Version : Different Pickguard

TK421
03-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Hi guys,
Just wondering how I would go about swapping out the pickguard that came with my kit with one I bought online? Does some sort of guide exist as to how to properly unsolder/resolder all the wiring, etc. I have a black fretless neck lying around and want to put it on my kit, which I plan on painting silver so I think a black pearl pick guard (as opposed to the white) will look really good!

Thank you!

Dedman
03-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Which guitar? You should be able to just unscrew everything without unsoldering on most.

TK421
03-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Ahh, of course. My apologies

I have the PBA-4 Electric Bass Guitar Kit

Dedman
03-01-2017, 12:32 PM
not sure on the pick ups but the pots and jack will just need the retaining nuts undone and they will push out , I'm pretty sure the pick ups are just held to the pick guard by 2 screws each, the whole lot should just undo. I'll stand corrected if someone who has the kit knows otherwise.

WeirdBits
03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Yep, as Deds said, you shouldn't need to unsolder anything. Just undo the parts from the old pickguard with all te wiring intact and transfer it to the new pickguard.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/IMG_6879.jpg

There may be some slight size and fit differences with the new pickguard, particularly around the neck heel, and the screw positions/spacing. So, before attaching anything to the new pickguard check the fit and make any adjustments first.

Edit: Why aren't you at your post?

wazkelly
03-01-2017, 07:52 PM
The pickups on a P Bass screw into the timber and are not attached to the scratch plate, same on J Bass too, and therefore a new one should easily drop in on top except for some minor tweaks as pointed out by WeirdBits.