PDA

View Full Version : February 2017 GOTM

DarthAcrymon
02-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Here goes.
This is my first build (but it wont be my last :)). I got the kit a year a go for Christmas and finished it today. I always wanted one of those hot looking PRS's but could never afford one. I'm pretty damn happy about now.
This has some mods which came form a friend who was changing stuff out of his PRS SE. It has PRS S2 pickups and tuners, I also put a Schaller Signum bridge in. Pickups are coil split on a push pull vol pot.
The colour is Parker Pen water based ink, hand applied a few times, with some extra tones added in via some black ink, such as what you see on the back and sides. I also washed out some colour with water here and there. Top coat clear is marine varnish (about 10 coats),...I wont be using that again.
It plays and sounds great.

Cheers,

Damien

[mod] Damien - I've moved this post to the Feb 2017 GOTM as the Jan one is closed - good news is that you're in first for Feb! Brendan

Brendan
02-01-2017, 02:34 PM
That time again! This will be the first comp (no prizes, just acolades!) for guitars completed in 2017.

February Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in January 2017)

February 2017 GOTM

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars February 2017 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) 31 January 2017

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for December closes 31 January 2017.

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well has the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the "Wow Factor"
· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

I'm a personal fan of demos - no matter how simple - everyone likes to hear how an axe has turned out!

Also worth thinking - we've got a range of judges and who knows what they'll like (or not), so don't be afraid to enter your guitar - no matter whether you think it's good enough to win or not - on the day, you may get a couple to swing your way!

Andy40
05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Hi again everyone. Might as well put this one in for GOTM.

Its a Pitbull SGD-612 kit. This kit is completely PBG stock EXCEPT I pulled apart the pickups swapped the ceramic magnet with alnico 5's and wax potted them. - It has all the other Chinese parts and electrics installed in it. The burst is all Dingotone, its Black stump and Coolangatta gold and the blend strip is 50/50 Outback sunset and Karajini Red. The finish is Tru oil.

Link to the build diary: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5516

Andy40
05-01-2017, 01:20 PM
a few more

WeirdBits
05-01-2017, 04:28 PM
It really ties the room together.

stan
05-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Great PRS build Garth, love the blue

Andy that SGD 12 is mental - in a great way, and modded the pups - awesome

Fretworn
05-01-2017, 07:24 PM
It really ties the room together.

The Dude abides.

Zandit75
06-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Wow, what a great start to the month!!
Andy, that build is sensational!

ILRGuitars
06-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Well done Andy. I think it's all over for this month, IMO.

Slayer666
06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Here goes.
This is my first build (but it wont be my last :)). I got the kit a year a go for Christmas and finished it today. I always wanted one of those hot looking PRS's but could never afford one. I'm pretty damn happy about now.
This has some mods which came form a friend who was changing stuff out of his PRS SE. It has PRS S2 pickups and tuners, I also put a Schaller Signum bridge in. Pickups are coil split on a push pull vol pot.
The colour is Parker Pen water based ink, hand applied a few times, with some extra tones added in via some black ink, such as what you see on the back and sides. I also washed out some colour with water here and there. Top coat clear is marine varnish (about 10 coats),...I wont be using that again.
It plays and sounds great.

Cheers,

Damien

[mod] Damien - I've moved this post to the Feb 2017 GOTM as the Jan one is closed - good news is that you're in first for Feb! Brendan

Mate that is awesome... love the colour!

DMartin
16-01-2017, 05:20 AM
This is my sons SGB-34 bass, Finished in Classic white with racing stripes. This is our second Pit Bull Guitar kit Build. Hope you enjoy.

pablopepper
16-01-2017, 05:51 AM
Wicked looking bass, DMartin! How did you get the crackle effect on the stripes?

wokkaboy
16-01-2017, 06:13 AM
Sweet SG bass Dmartin.
@ Pabs he posted it on FB. The stripe paint was quick drying and reacted with the white paint

DMartin
16-01-2017, 06:16 AM
Cheers Thank you. The cracking is an unexpected finish. I think it was a reaction between a 'quick drying' matt black paint and the gloss white finish. The intent was to have solid matt black stripes not the cracking effect. I think it turned out ok (thankfully).

pablopepper
16-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Looks great. A happy little accident!

FredA
16-01-2017, 06:56 AM
I love the crackling effect! Looks awesome and it makes it very unique!
The best part is that you would have struggled to achieve that effect if you wanted to... :-)
Great job

Chuck
16-01-2017, 07:09 AM
What FredA said! I couldn't agree more!

Zandit75
16-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Great effort DMartin!
I thought the stripes were Hammertone finish there for a second. Great effect.

cade711
16-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Definitely a great finish effect. Unexpected results are sometimes the best as it adds something that creative thinking initially doesn't!
All 3 entries looking like tough competitors

andrewdosborne
16-01-2017, 08:08 AM
Love the bass and the cracked paint looks really nice!

Sent from Android Nougat

Fretworn
16-01-2017, 09:04 AM
I am instantly impressed by that bass DMartin! Great job.

GregLane
16-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Another first build for Feb GOTM.

My LP-1MQ is finished with ColorTone and TruOil on the top, TruOil and Mahogany TimberMate on the base and Truoil only on the neck.

I probably would not have chosen quilt as my first build but I was given the kit as a birthday present much to my great surprise. As it turned out I am very happy with the result and the quilt turned out beyond all my expectations. The raw quilt timber looked very subdued.

The guitar is standard straight out of the box. I used everything (not even a screw left) except for the plastic covers.

So here she is for critical appraisal and by the experts and advice for the next one as the GAS has set in.

Fret board was lightly sanded and lemon oiled.
I am very happy with the sound but can upgrade the electrics in the future after I get a bit more experience with the hardware.

wokkaboy
16-01-2017, 10:42 AM
top job Greg for a first build you have really built a fantastic looking axe

ILRGuitars
16-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Beautiful Greg...simply beautiful.

andrewdosborne
16-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Really nice Greg a top class.first build

Sent from Android Nougat

CascadiaGuitarGeek
19-01-2017, 02:31 AM
Nice work Greg. I really like the headstock design and custom covers.

GregLane
23-01-2017, 11:55 AM
After I had a look at the previous photos I found that the quilt was not always in focus . I found it difficult to get a photo with the quilt in focus even to the extent that I killed the camera battery and have had to wait for a new one.

So here is another one

wokkaboy
23-01-2017, 11:59 AM
great pic Greg that really captures that superb grain pattern

gavinturner
23-01-2017, 03:22 PM
OMG, the finishes on all these entries! Just amazing. Couldn't pick a winner at this stage.

cheers,
Gavin.

stan
23-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Slayer that blue is amazing, not enough blue guitars, very cool

stan
23-01-2017, 03:57 PM
DMartin, that is one of the coolest SGs I've seen here, love the racing stripe

stan
23-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Greg, super nice first build, red quilt LP, lovely

G-Axe
28-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Okay, so I don't think this is even in the same ballpark as the previous entries with their beautifully crafted finishes - it doesn't even have any clear coats on it, and up close there are a lot of flaws.

That said, it was built for the stage (and as such, looks great from a distance), it sounds great and I'm really proud with what I accomplished in a week. One day I will strip off the hardware and clear coat it so it lasts but for now I'm getting too much enjoyment out of playing my first custom built guitar!

So without further ado, I present the Spliceman Mk. 1 (half 'splorer, half Iceman - the first of many). It's a butchered EX-1 kit, with a custom vinyl decal over Duplicolor Empress Red spraypaint. Just about everything is stock - the hardware is chrome, shabbily sprayed with a translucent grey the only upgrade was to put in some Artist Bullbuckers (chinese JB/Jazz neck clones).

Here's some "glamour shots". Don't mind the scraggly lawn and unfinished pergola - just the work I should have been doing instead of building a guitar.

G-Axe
28-01-2017, 10:12 AM
...a few more....

G-Axe
28-01-2017, 10:14 AM
...and a couple more for good luck.

Last of all, a shot of it in action:

Brendan
28-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Sweet - great to see an action shot!

Dedman
28-01-2017, 02:32 PM
I thought they were stick on automotive stripes!. That's gotta be one of the best happy accidents ever!

stan
28-01-2017, 07:10 PM
G Axe that looks amazing, awesome concept

GregLane
28-01-2017, 08:24 PM
If only I was that brave. Love the concept. Is it to be used for a particular song or set? I'm sure it will hit the spot.

Simon Barden
28-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Any plans to put some clear coats on it now? It's good enough to be worth finishing properly.

AxeMurderer
29-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Some very nice guitars this month but I'll throw my hat in the ring with my first build...

This is the PBG PRS-1Q kit with;

PRS shape headstock with quilted maple veneer
U-Beaut dye, Aussie Oil and Traditional Wax
Pleeenty of elbow grease
Upgraded Tuners - Grover Rotomtics
Tonerider Rocksong P/ups
Tusq nut
Upgraded to CTS Pots & orange drop cap

Cheers
Dean

G-Axe
29-01-2017, 04:37 PM
AxeMurderer - that's a very nice looking guitar. Love the green and gold burst.

If only I was that brave. Love the concept. Is it to be used for a particular song or set? I'm sure it will hit the spot.

Last year a mate of mine bought his first electric, and was keen to put on a gig where we're the backing band for friends and family singing karaoke. So being my first gig in over ten years, I was pretty keen to have something a bit showy - even if it was for a couple of dozen people at a tiny local pub.

Any plans to put some clear coats on it now? It's good enough to be worth finishing properly.

Yeah, definitely. Just finding it hard to put down at the moment. It's hard. I know the more I handle it, the more likely it will get some dings, scratches, etc. So I think once these stupidly hot 40 degree days that are likely to screw with the rattlecans are past us, I'll take the time to finish it properly.

nitroburner1000
03-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Guys love all the builds so far, i just love all the different and innovative ideas you builders come up with, keep em coming dudes

Brendan
03-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Okay - entries have closed - I'll get them off to the judges and get a result in the next few days.

Brendan
06-02-2017, 09:05 PM
So - we're now ready to reveal the results...

But first - a general comment from one of the judges:
"Holy cow, you first timers are pumping out some awesome axes - great to see!"

The comments - submission order:

DarthAcrymon's PRS-1Q
Love the blue - with the gloss, I'm thinking the beach on a hot summer day… If I had to be critical (which I have to to separate all the great axes) - I'd say that I'd like to see some shape to the top of the headstock and a personal logo, but overall great build.

Excellent first build Damien, You wanted a cool PRS so you certainly made one. Some sweet upgrades and those Schaller bridges are awesome. Love the blue. A shaped headstock and logo to make it yours would have really stepped it up - cool guitar, looking forward to the next one.

Love the swimming pool effect and colour on quilted top. Extra points for upgraded hardware however a slight deduction for no logo or headstock shaping. Overall a very nicely presented axe.

Colour turned out great. A shaped headstock would have made it looked finished.

Really nice first build and nice upgrades, the colour looks excellent on the quilted maple veneer. Would have been better if you shaped the headstock and put your own logo on to say you built it.

Andy40's SGD-612
Stunning Burst finish. An envy creating guitar.

Another top quality build Andy and love the burst and colours really work well. I can't fault the build. Top work !

Andy you should get extra point just for degree of difficulty, awesome build. Love the head stocks and logo, this will certainly howl. Great work with the pups too. Nice work with the Dingotone, a ripper burst job.

Fantastic burst - it has come out really great. Nice tones and blends - you're looking to knock Wokka off as king of the burst!

Extra points just for doing a double necker. Pulled off a great burst finish after some jack socket challenges early on. Nice touches with the Howling Wolf name spread across both headstocks plus their uniquely shaped profiles. Highly desirable axe

DMartin's SGB-34
Love both the colours and the finish. The racing stripe has been executed brilliantly. Being nitpicky, I’d personally have liked to see the stripe go across the back as well to balance it out – I know it’s not visible, but I’d know its not there.

Wow what a great bass, this looks badass indeed. Cool logo and very slick finish. Racing stripe dilemma worked to your advantage, a real point of interest the doesn't detract. If this is number 2, looking forward to 3...

Eye catching simplicity. In a room full of axes this is one you would notice.

Really clean build, love the white and the crackled stripe works well. A build I would be proud of well done.

Very elegant in white with the crackle effect racing stripes. Like the cheeky headstock logo too. Finished to a high standard.

GregLane LP-1MQ
Top effort for your first build considering all the veneer issues encountered early on. Love the colour scheme, unique headstock shape and logo. Extra points for timber matched control plates on the rear plus use of same timber for your own logo'd truss rod cover.

Greg this looks the goods mate. Shows what can be done with a totally standard kit. Wild headstock and nice logo. The colour combo is classic and looks great. Well done on the covers, nice touch.

Headstock shape & cavity covers are great departures from the norm.

Lovely red – the blend of colours and subtleness comes together nicely. The headstock shape is original and a great feature. The wooden cavity covers and attention to detail gives this a high end feel.

Love this LP build you chose nice colours and the headstock shape is original and cool as. A stunning build top effort !

G-Axe's Ex-1
Well done G this catches the eye straight away - in a good way. Flaws or not, it does exactly what you designed it for - rocking out! A very cool take and nicely modded body to really make it yours, I like it a lot

Well thought out & executed customisations.

Love the patterns and colour choice, must have taken hours to do the pattern. Cool looking explorer well done.

Eyecatching and hypnotic – this axe looks great. I like the consistency of colour across the body and neck. I agree that it’d be good to clearcoat for protection, but can understand the feeling of enjoyment from playing your own guitar.

Surprisingly good result for such a rushed build. Vinyl stickers work well with the bold body reshaping, particularly the lower front Iceman shaped horn. Extra points for including an action shot. Look forward to seeing more shots once you have had time to get some clear top coats done and oiled or waxed the fret board.

Axe Murderer's PRS-1Q
The first time I saw this guitar I instantly wanted it.

This has a sophistication to it that is amazing – love how it has all come together with colours I’d never pick for a guitar – it has turned out stunning.

Everything but the PRS logo - some really nice enhancements and upgrades. Nice burst - not the usual and turned out nicely. Cool logo and the black hardware really ties it all in.

Stunning finish from every angle. Love the burst finishes on both front & back. Extra points for veneer on headstock, logo and personalised shaping. An axe I would be proud to own.

Stunning PRS build this thing oozes class. Would love this axe in my collection. Great choice of colours you got the most out of the quilted maple veneer.

Thanks to the judges for those comments - it takes time to review each of the entrants to get a winner, but there can be only one....

Brendan
06-02-2017, 09:12 PM
So to the runner up:
Andy40's SGD-612 - this stunning 18 stringer has been wonderfully finished and looks great.

The winner though:
Axe Murderer's PRS-1Q - for a first, this is a killer guitar. You've done a great job and I hope it plays as great as it looks!
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16751&d=1485664330&thumb=1

Understandably, only a fraction of a point separated first and second, and its easy to understand why with such a high quality of entrants. Well done to all!

wokkaboy
06-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Congratulations Axe murderer and Andy. I couldn't split these two entries and gave them highest scores. Well done all other entrants were all of a high standard

stan
07-02-2017, 06:05 AM
well done Axe Murderer, a well deserved win

Well done to the rest, this is now a very difficult comp to win and judge, the level is so high

GregLane
07-02-2017, 06:11 AM
Congratulations AxeMurder and Andy. You sure kept those judges on there mettle.

Thanks Bendan and your judges for the constructive comments on my build.

Sure was a constructive 4 months. Now I have been playing the guitar for a month I am identifying issues which start another wave of research into a new realm. Examples have been what pup for upgrade, what capacitors and now I have realised that I have a high fret. Well here we go again - tools have been ordered.

I definitely have the GAS (and 7 grandchildren) so as they say in the classics "I will be back"

Thanks again and thanks to all on the forum for there great support and advice.

Greg

andrewdosborne
07-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Axe murderer and Andy, well done! And I say the same every month - all entries are of a very high standard great work all

Greg - your journey has just begun, welcome to the world of guitar tweaking!

Zandit75
07-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Congratulations Axe Murderer and Andy, two more excellent builds in a comp that is getting harder and harder to pick, even just as a spectator like myself!

WeirdBits
07-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Great entries from everyone. Well done Andy, epic build. Congrats Dean, that thing is gorgeous, a well deserved winner.

Fretworn
07-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Congratulations guys. Well deserved.

wazkelly
07-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Another tough month for the judges and congrats Axe Murderer & Andy.

AxeMurderer
07-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Wow!! I'm absolutely stoked and honoured to be amongst such great artisans. Thanks for all of the supportive comments.

Andy40
07-02-2017, 02:36 PM
WOW! thanks guys! there were some really awesome builds here too, I am absolutely stoked!! Well done axe murderer that green and gold burst is awesome

G-Axe
07-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Great job Axe Murderer and Andy (well everyone, really). Outstanding guitars this month. :)

FredA
07-02-2017, 04:54 PM
Awesome builds guys! Congrats to all!

Brendan
07-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Congratulations to all - BTW Axe - one of the outcomes is that you'll be the guest judge next month - watch out for an email from me at the end of the month with the details!

Dedman
07-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Well done gents! Glad I wasn't a judge...or a competitor for that matter!

Chuck
08-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Congrats to all who submitted - and especially Axe Murderer and Andy!

Hobastard
09-02-2017, 08:00 AM
the dude abides.

lmfao.....

METAL Rulez 4ever
10-02-2017, 09:03 AM
I am nowhere near anywhere as professional as the builders here. I hope to get there some day with every kit i build and learn as i go.
Here is my best build so far i feel. EX-5 Explorer 5 String Bass.
It was a struggle to get the action spot on with the extra height on the bridge, but got there in the end with a couple of shims.

stan
10-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Very coool bass Metal, but you need March GOTM, this one has been run and won mate

Brendan
10-02-2017, 10:34 AM
I am nowhere near anywhere as professional as the builders here. I hope to get there some day with every kit i build and learn as i go.
Here is my best build so far i feel. EX-5 Explorer 5 String Bass.
It was a struggle to get the action spot on with the extra height on the bridge, but got there in the end with a couple of shims.

Entered into March GOTM.

METAL Rulez 4ever
10-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Entered into March GOTM.

Sorry about that Stan and Brendon. Now i know to enter a month before. Do i need to resubmit this build or has it been done for me already in March's ?

Brendan
10-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Hey - dont be sorry - not a problem - just the way the "comp" works. I've already added your other post to the March GOTM: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6911 for you. Best of luck!

METAL Rulez 4ever
10-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Hey - dont be sorry - not a problem - just the way the "comp" works. I've already added your other post to the March GOTM: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6911 for you. Best of luck!

Awesome, Thank you so much Brendon, much appreciated.

Brendan
10-02-2017, 01:18 PM
No worries - that's what we are here for.

Hobastard
10-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Congratulations to Axe Murderer and Andy.

It was a tough line up this month with all entries capable of winning on their day.

Makes me feel very intimidated for when I eventually get my act together.....