PDA

View Full Version : Humbucker neck? humbucker bridge?

OliSam
02-01-2017, 05:08 AM
Hi guys

do you know which is the neck and which is the bridge?

Simon Barden
02-01-2017, 06:03 AM
If you go to the wiring diagrams section on the BPG site http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wiring-diagrams/ then select the humbucker diagram, the it shows the yellow wired one as the neck and the red as the bridge.

Another way of checking is to measure the DC resistance of the pickups. The bridge one should have a slightly higher resistance than the neck pickup. This is because the movement of the strings is greater at the neck pickup position than at the bridge position, so the bridge pickup needs more turns of wire to produce a similar strength output signal (and more wire means more resistance). Your picture shows two-wire output pickups, so it's easy to check this.

Zandit75
02-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Exactly what Simon said!
Another quick way of checking is the length of the wires.
Since the neck pup is furthest away from the control cavity, it normally has a longer wire.

OliSam
02-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Doh!
thanks guys

Brendan
02-01-2017, 10:22 AM
If you go to the wiring diagrams section on the BPG site http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wiring-diagrams/ then select the humbucker diagram, the it shows the yellow wired one as the neck and the red as the bridge.

Just a word of warning - there is the odd change to the kits that come through and while we work to get the wiring diagrams right, we can make mistakes. That said, the best way to tell which is neck / bridge is as Simon and Zandit have said. The exception to this is Jazz basses where the neck pickup is marginally (a couple of mm) smaller.

Bob Knapman
21-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Hi there
Sorry if I seem a little bit dim but the pickup I have with the yellow wire has the fatter base and the one with the red cable is much thinner. I have tried to look at photos of the SG1 and the ones I have found have the thicker base closer to the bridge. I am confused but I am sure there is an explanation for this. Please help !!! I am obviously a first timer so be kind !!!!!!!
Cheers
Bob Knapman

wokkaboy
21-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Hi Bob can you please post a pic of both the pickups and wires ? I presume this is a SG-1 build. Wire colours from the factory vary so don't assume yellow is neck pup and red is bridge pup. Usually the neck pup will have a longer wire than the bridge pup. Also check the resistance of each pup if you have a multimeter generally the bridge pup will have a higher resistance.
By fatter base I presume you mean the pickup surround ? The factory could have mixed these up too. the thicker surround is for the bridge pup and thinner for the neck pup.

Bob Knapman
23-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Hi Bob can you please post a pic of both the pickups and wires ? I presume this is a SG-1 build. Wire colours from the factory vary so don't assume yellow is neck pup and red is bridge pup. Usually the neck pup will have a longer wire than the bridge pup. Also check the resistance of each pup if you have a multimeter generally the bridge pup will have a higher resistance.
By fatter base I presume you mean the pickup surround ? The factory could have mixed these up too. the thicker surround is for the bridge pup and thinner for the neck pup.

Thank you for your quick response, much appreciated. As I dont have a multi meter at present is there any other way to tell which is which.They both look identical and both cables are the same length. If the multi meter is the only way whats the correct way of testing the pickups
Cheers
Bob

wazkelly
23-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Hi Bob, not an electronics expert but you can buy a reasonable multimeter from Jaycar or even the big green shed if that is all you have in your neighbourhood. It should come with instructions and all you do is for one pickup place an electrode on one of the wires and the 2nd electrode on the other wire to test the flow of current as a resistance. Generally the higher number of the 2 pickups tends to suggest that is the bridge one.

Bob Knapman
25-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Tested with multi meter and it appears that the neck pu has a red cable the bridge pu is yellow. Thanks for help , I was confused as
All the wiring diagrams I looked at had the neck pu wire shown as yellow. Keep up the good work helping us newbies it all might seem
small stuff to you but first time round it's all a bit daunting.

FredA
25-06-2017, 11:17 AM
I would have said that yellow is neck and red is bridge based on which side of the screw coil the cable comes out. Usually they're built so the cable doesn't need to fold under the pup once installed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk