PDA

View Full Version : TL-1TH attachment of volume/tone pots

Harry
28-12-2016, 02:20 PM
I was wondering what the best way to attach the volume/tone pots to the scratch plate would be? I don't want to wreck the plate by doing something wrong.
Cheers guys
Harry

FrankenWashie
28-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Hi Harry,
The pots should just slip through the holes and the the supplied nuts and washers attach to the threaded section to hold them in place? Is this not what you have?

Harry
28-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Theres a small part of the metal that sticks up from the surface of the pot which I'm guessing is to keep the whole pot from twisting when using them. Because theres no crevice in the plate for this to sit they don't sit flat and its longer than the plate is thick. It does come with nuts and washers and have a threaded section though

FrankenWashie
28-12-2016, 02:57 PM
I see, normally you'd have like a shake proof washer for the inner and a flat washer to sit under the securing nut to hold things steady.
It may be possible to trim that back, or at least get it to a point where it isn't in the way. Are you able to post a pic?

It may also pay to have a quick e-mail off to Adam @ PBG and he may just change them out for you. Failing that depending on where you are I have a number of the stock PBG pots that won't be used in my builds i can shoot off to you. What values are the pots you have?

Harry
28-12-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to building guitars so I'm not sure what value they are. What would the shake proof washer look like? Because I think that the little bit of metal would definitely be important and it looks like I have all the parts that should be here

Harry
28-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Heres a picture of the pot

FrankenWashie
28-12-2016, 04:08 PM
I'd almost just run with that, just pack up the height with suitable washers to give you a flat mount to the plate back.
Provided of course that it gives you enough thread on top t o engage the nut.

Harry
28-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Okay, and then just screw tight enough so it doesn't twist?
Thanks a heap man

FrankenWashie
28-12-2016, 04:17 PM
that would be the go, or source a skinny sort of shake proof washer y go against the plate underside.

WeirdBits
28-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Just grab some pliers and bend the tab flat (I always do), they're not really needed and usually cause more trouble than benefit. You'll find the tabs usually break as you bend them... bonus. However, if you do want to keep them, packing with washers or nuts to their level works especially when attaching to something thin like a pickguard etc.

RickyTerzis
08-07-2017, 01:14 AM
Hi...i am a new user here. I think the pots should just slip through the holes and the the supplied nuts and washers attach to the threaded section to hold them in place.It may be possible to trim that back, or at least get it to a point where it isn't in the way.

circuit assembly (https://www.7pcbassembly.com/)

wokkaboy
08-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Hey Ricky welcome to the forum. Not sure what you mean. What kit are you building and have you got the correct nut and washers for the pots? There is larger nut and washers for the tuners. If the pots aren't pushing through a control cavity or pickguards you may need to drill out slightly especially if you have upgraded to better pots are usually a larger shaft diameter

wazkelly
08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Could be a good idea to buy some plastic or nylon washers to place on the underside so that there is less thread above the scratch plate. This would make it look cleaner from on top rather than having control knobs sitting too high off the deck.