PDA

View Full Version : New "Options" Test

adam
26-12-2016, 06:19 PM
So, as I have no life, on Boxing Day, during the inevitable Melbourne rain delay, I starting messing around with our E-store software to see if I could get a user-friendly upgrade system happening on one of our products... as a test. I picked the TLA-1Q; Ash body, quilted maple veneer, TL kit. Check it out:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-tla-1q-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit-quilted-maple/

Please have a play and let me know what you think. Is it intuitive? Any problems? Anything missing?

If you can have a look on you phone or pad too... I did a lot of work to make sure it made sense on a phone.

If we can get this one right then we can add these upgrade options to most of our kits.

Thanks in advance for your input.

dave.king1
26-12-2016, 06:33 PM
G'day Adam,

This is timely as I am very close to pulling the trigger on this one for my Merle Haggard Tuff Dog tribute, with the same options the price is up on what it was this morning when I optioned it up so I'm not sure if the actual prices have changed or the maths are wrong somewhere.

My spec is
TLA-1Q
22 fret maple neck
Gold hardware
Tonerider Hot Classics $86.63 ( were $89.00 )
White Pearloid Pickguard

I didn't itemise the rest but the automated total previously came to $358.95 and now $380.32, not a huge difference but maybe something is not quite right or was wrong before.

My question before pulling the trigger is about the neck profile and radius, is it the same as the STA-1 if so I am in.

I have a built Tele kit from another Australian supplier that I finished years ago and the fretboard is almost flat and I just can't bond with it and it will be going to a new home in the near future

dave.king1
26-12-2016, 06:41 PM
I should add, the Tuff Dog has a few gold items that are different to the kit that I will have to source from OS, they being

6 Saddle string through bridge
String through ferrules
Circular string tree
Oval jack plate

So the equivalent kit items will become surplus but as I discovered when I upgraded my STA to black hardware the cost differential was minimal ( passed off the chrome & white stuff to my brother for beer )

dave.king1
26-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Just looked on my phone and it's listed as follows

TLA-1Q $199.00 ( new price $199.00 )
Gold Hardware $39.00 ( new price 69.96 )
TR Hot Classics $89.00 ( new price 86.63 )
White Pearloid PG $12.95 ( new price 8.48 )
22 Fret neck $19.00 ( new price $16.95 )
Total $358.95 ( new total $380.32 )

Wife's iPad prices up the same as the PC @ $380.32

I think I'll order it off the phone thanks ;)

Simon Barden
26-12-2016, 07:27 PM
My default currency setting is for GBP. Whilst the top 'from £xxx' label displayed in pounds, the bottom running total was displaying in $. By changing the currency setting to A$ then GBP the bottom total then changed to £. Just a slight niggle but it should really display the correct currency first time.

Edit: just tried it again, and if no options are chosen, the bottom green running total box isn't shown. I feel it should really be shown all the time.

Also, if I reset an option like a rosewood neck back to no upgrade, the running total box disappears and if I then pick another option, it re-appears but reverts back to displaying in A$ again.

I tried selecting various options and the adding up worked for me (using A$) with all my selections. Conversion to GBP for the total was the same rate as for the 'from £xxxx' at the top, so no issues there.

Simon Barden
26-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Just a thought driven by this exercise, but is it worth offering a set of rear-mounting string ferrules of the appropriate colour if you select a Wilkinson or Babicz bridge, as they are all string-through body types (unlike the standard top-loading bridge)?

Fretworn
27-12-2016, 03:39 AM
I think it is a good direction to go in. My only concern would be option anxiety. Possibly there needs to be a "Buy Default Kit" button for newbies, or people buying as presents, who don't know what all these options mean. Ideally the first decision would be whether you wanted the default kit or a customised kit and you would only get to see the options is you chose a customised kit.

adam
27-12-2016, 09:10 AM
G'day Adam,

This is timely as I am very close to pulling the trigger on this one for my Merle Haggard Tuff Dog tribute, with the same options the price is up on what it was this morning when I optioned it up so I'm not sure if the actual prices have changed or the maths are wrong somewhere.

My spec is
TLA-1Q
22 fret maple neck
Gold hardware
Tonerider Hot Classics $86.63 ( were $89.00 )
White Pearloid Pickguard

I didn't itemise the rest but the automated total previously came to $358.95 and now $380.32, not a huge difference but maybe something is not quite right or was wrong before.

My question before pulling the trigger is about the neck profile and radius, is it the same as the STA-1 if so I am in.

I have a built Tele kit from another Australian supplier that I finished years ago and the fretboard is almost flat and I just can't bond with it and it will be going to a new home in the near future

Thanks Dave, yes, we'll need to play with the pricing more. It actually have worked out a bit cheaper, so I'm not sure what's up there.

All our necks are 12" radius and 'Modern C' profile, 43mm at the nut.

dave.king1
27-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Ordered, now to wait for the fit to hit the shan :)

Shouldn't get beaten up too badly as "the boss" was aware of the impending purchase and it was partially funded by the fat bloke

adam
27-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback, most of which I didn't consider. So, still a bit of work to do.

dave.king1
27-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks Dave, yes, we'll need to play with the pricing more. It actually have worked out a bit cheaper, so I'm not sure what's up there.

All our necks are 12" radius and 'Modern C' profile, 43mm at the nut.

Thanks Adam, just ordered the kit.

The biggest uplift difference in the old quote and the new was the gold hardware being up $30.00 and I added the 22 fret neck as well

dave.king1
27-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Just a thought driven by this exercise, but is it worth offering a set of rear-mounting string ferrules of the appropriate colour if you select a Wilkinson or Babicz bridge, as they are all string-through body types (unlike the standard top-loading bridge)?

Just discovered the ferrules of all colours are listed in the extras under spare parts

adam
27-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Thanks for being a guniea pig for this new format. All came through this end ok, and, importantly, adjusted the stock.

The hardware does actually need to be more than it was in the old format, we were losing money when Gold HW was ordered. I will increase the discount though as $30 is too big a jump. I will also refund that $30 to you, as you were so helpful in testing this.

If you want a set of 6 ferrules, send me an email to remind me and I will include them at no extra charge.

Thanks Adam, just ordered the kit.

The biggest uplift difference in the old quote and the new was the gold hardware being up $30.00 and I added the 22 fret neck as well

dave.king1
27-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks Adam, much appreciated and once again a pleasure to do business with Pitbull

adam
27-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, thanks again for your feedback, I've had another play, addressing your comments, and have a draft 2.

Please have another look if you have the time.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-tla-1q-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit-quilted-maple/

daveking1, I don't know how you got the difference in prices between the phone and iPad, that doesn't make sense. The only explanation is that you were looking when I was playing around with it.

Simon, I did see the GBP/AUD issue you were talking about. I will get Darren, our IT Guru to have a look at that.

Fretworn, I've added some text to make it clearer that the "stock" kit is priced at the "From" price.

The one big complicating factor is that we also sell on eBay (about 30% of sales), so our listings have to work there as well. These "upgrade option" won't work on eBay, so they need some instruction to contact us.

I think it's getting closer.

Let me know what you think.

dave.king1
27-12-2016, 06:36 PM
G'day Adam,

It seems to quote OK now, which it did before although the gold hardware price is amended

I had never look at any of the prices on my Samsung phone before which was where the low prices were so there was no chance it was looking at cached data. ( being an old fart the screen on the phone is too hard to read for anything but forum stuff )

I had looked at the pricing early in the morning Sydney time on the iPad and they were as per the phone and then after your initial post in this thread they were up to the new pricing as it also was on the PC.

On the PC the cache is cleared every time I shut Firefox down but the iPad is a manual clean which I had never done until around noon today.

The ghost in the machine I guess.

DrNomis_44
27-12-2016, 09:51 PM
I just had a quick look and I'm liking the new options system you've come up with Adam, makes it much easier to add upgrades to an order.

Dedman
28-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Spelling error Rotomatic licking tuners

"Please kids, don't lick your tuners"

adam
28-12-2016, 08:57 AM
Well spotted... fixed.

Spelling error Rotomatic licking tuners

"Please kids, don't lick your tuners"

wazkelly
28-12-2016, 12:57 PM
And here was me thinking they must have been a new line that came chocolate coated!

Maddogm
02-02-2017, 03:15 PM
I am seriously considering getting one of these for my next guitar build, but thinking along the lines of no pickguard so would want a custom routing for single neck pickup which means not getting to play with the options form

ikeus
15-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Think your presentation looks good. My own recommendation for top mounted bridge for Telecasters and other non-tremolo is the Schaller Brass Bridge. I believe a fairly new release.. Awesome! Intonation is far easier and sustain goes on and..
Uh this was on a Chinese cheapo Telecaster.

nitroburner1000
19-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Think your presentation looks good. My own recommendation for top mounted bridge for Telecasters and other non-tremolo is the Schaller Brass Bridge. I believe a fairly new release.. Awesome! Intonation is far easier and sustain goes on and..
Uh this was on a Chinese cheapo Telecaster.
The new options are awesome, but just one suggestion but dont know how hard this will be to do.
By the upgrade items could you put a link to where we could actually see what they look like? Then we could scroll through pics of the hardware to see what would look good with what.