PDA

View Full Version : Fv-1

nickremmert
23-12-2016, 02:43 PM
So this is my first ever attempt at a guitar kit. I am 97% useless with tools etc... Anyhoo - Specs: FV-1 kit, Seymour Duncan Invaders, CTS pots, Orange drop caps, Grover locking tuners, Gotoh bridge, epiphone output jack. I'm waiting on a switchcraft 3-way switch and a new truss rod cover to arrive.

I have found a very peaceful (and sometimes very frustrating) hobby. :D

Next project - An explorer!

Omarion
17-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Looks awesome. Is it Basswood or Mahogany kit (is it heavy)?
Cheers

FrankenWashie
17-08-2019, 09:36 PM
The FV kits are normally basswood, in the case of the G version, with a thin flame maple veneer top.
Unless it’s marked as an FV-1M kit, they won’t be mahogany.

Omarion
29-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Thanks for reply mate. Would you know what is the headstock angle on these kits maybe, are the similar to originals (these , Firebirds, Thunderbirds)?

FrankenWashie
30-08-2019, 12:54 PM
I think the headstock angle is about 13 degrees or there abouts? I'll try and check for you on my as yet unbuilt kit tonight

m0j0
01-04-2020, 03:55 PM

Sonic Mountain
02-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Really like the colour combo on this.

m0j0
03-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Really like the colour combo on this.

Thanks man. I knew the black pickguard and jack plate wasn't going to look good with the red and besides, there's no black in Arsenal's colours. I didn't think I'd do a good job of cutting out new pieces from blanks - just looked like too many straight lines and precise corners - so I ended up just spraying those bits with gloss Krylon. I bought some clear gloss to go over the top, but I liked the ripply effect the white finish gave so I just left it as is.

I did get a white FV truss rod cover with gold Gibson logo but it ended up being so big that I would have had to dremel out a couple of arcs where the two 'E' tuners sit and thought that would have looked silly. In the end, I decided the kit black truss rod cover broke up the white of the headstock and kinda looks like an extension of the fretboard so I opted against spraying that also.

All up I was happy with the result. I had trouble parting with it. Only had the finished product in my house for about 8 hours.

ChrisL
28-07-2020, 08:13 PM
Where did you locate the strap button? Looks like it might be quite close to the tip of the wing? And how is it for balance in that position?