PDA

View Full Version : Binding question

Chrisp250
15-12-2016, 02:17 AM
Hi all and sorry if this was asked before.
I'm building the Thinline Tele with the bigsby bridge. This guitar has a small binding. My question is how do you apply Dingotone around the binding area. Do I have to mask tape it'll? Do I try to avoid touching it when applying? Or do I just try to clean it off before it dries?
Thanks in advance.
Christian

FrankenWashie
15-12-2016, 04:53 AM
Hi Christian, generally from what I have seen on the forum, most guys either mask off with thin line auto tape, or polish the binding with 2000 grit to get the binding less porous for the stain.
If you mask off with normal masking tape you will still get bleeds into the binding, and this will highlight any cracks or fissures in it. Kind of like a pre-relic effect. The thin line auto binding tape does a better job but it is expensive.
If you are of a steady hand nature then you could try to avoid it but you' run the risk of missing spots.
You'll still get some on the binding but if you are fastidious you can just try and wipe these off as you go. If you haven't done so check out DB's corner and the other finishing guides in the how to section of the forum.

dingobass
15-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Wot Frankie sed :D

Andy40
15-12-2016, 09:59 AM
I did both of what FW said, polish the binding (double checking there are no cracks in it), then i tape it off. you will always get some bleeding into the binding, but if you polish first its easier to scrape off. Always tape as well, an ounce of prevention is better than...you know what.

If the binding is cracked anywhere, you don't want any bleeding into it at all. I would probably consider protecting the binding with Tru oil or poly to prevent any bleeding into it. you can always sand it off later.

Chrisp250
26-12-2016, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys all for the replies. This gives me a good idea of what I'm up for.
Christian