PDA

View Full Version : Ib5 active preamp

Thigg88
13-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone. Just planing my next build and i have decided to build an ib5 bass but i have been toying with the idea of an active preamp. Just looking for a bit of advice and opinions on whether its worth while and where to look to source parts.

wokkaboy
13-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Hi Thigg welcome to the forum. I put a SBK-3 (or -3A) Tonemonster pre-amp into a IB-6S (6 string version). You have space for 4 pots so choose a model that will suit. The IB-6S had space for 5 pots and a larger control cavity.
I'm not sure if anyone in the forum has put a pre-amp into an IB-5 that can help.
You may have to modify the control cavity and most likely need to route a battery box compartment.
It is definitely worth the effort the pre-amp gives you a much wider range of sounds.

Attached is a pic of the IB-6S this was a mock test to see if it fit. I managed to leave the battery in the control cavity held it with some tape and foam padding. Main issue to check is the height of the circuit boards on the pre-amp pots and they don't touch the cavity cover.
Also attached a pic of the pre-amp when it arrived in the post.

Thigg88
13-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Cheers, Good to know its worth doing. I am planing to route in the battery box. Did you keep the standard passive pickups?

wokkaboy
13-12-2016, 03:57 PM
no worries Thigg, yes I kept the kit supplied passive pups and with the 3 way equaliser settings and amp settings it sounds punchy and clear. Think there was a boost pot on my pre-amp so that is always set on vol 10 !

Thigg88
13-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Ive been looking at a belcat eq-b2t that looks like a boost/cut just a little scared that $20 buck is a little seems to good to be true. Boost to 10 for sure. All about the punch