PDA

View Full Version : How about a PBG kit based on my HotRod Strat build?

DrNomis_44
11-12-2016, 08:41 AM
I got pretty good results with my HotRod Strat build, so I was wondering if Adam would be interested in adding a PBG kit to the current range of PBG kits based on my HotRod Strat build, since I'm sure that there are some PBG Forum members that would be interested in building one for themselves, would that be feasible?

adam
11-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Sure, send me the detailed specs and we will see if they understand the request.

Modifying an existing kit should straightforward.

Please send them by email if you can Doc.

DrNomis_44
11-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Sure, send me the detailed specs and we will see if they understand the request.

Modifying an existing kit should straightforward.

Please send them by email if you can Doc.

No worries mate, will do, hope you are having a great weekend.

I just had a thought, maybe what you could do is use the STA-1 kits as a basis for the HotRod Strat kit, and just mod it so that it uses a Floyd-style trem rather than the traditional Strat trem, the neck would then only need to be routed to accept a locking nut.

And then you could offer a choice of scratchplates with either an HSS, SSS, or HH configuration, apart from the trem-system, the rest of the hardware could be as per a standard STA-1 kit.

I just sent the email off to you.

dingobass
11-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm Super Strat

Simon Barden
11-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Might as well offer an HSH configuration whilst we're talking about it. Also, would there be a chance of and sort of 5-way super-switch option. One can obviously be bought separately, but for those looking to buy an all-in-one package, it would offer more wiring possibilities for HH, HSH and HSS configurations.

DrNomis_44
12-12-2016, 04:14 AM
Might as well offer an HSH configuration whilst we're talking about it. Also, would there be a chance of and sort of 5-way super-switch option. One can obviously be bought separately, but for those looking to buy an all-in-one package, it would offer more wiring possibilities for HH, HSH and HSS configurations.

I think those would be some cool mods to include in the basic design, cheers mate.

dave.king1
12-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Apart from the nut and Trem requirements the pup options could be accommodated with a swimming pool rout with optional scratchplates to suit the pup options.

Much simpler to describe to the factory

JMTBW

Simon Barden
12-12-2016, 05:45 AM
But the full swimming pool rout bodies sound so bad compared to normal bodies. Too much wood removed in the wrong place. An HSH rout would cover all the options and sound better IMO.

dave.king1
12-12-2016, 07:23 AM
But the full swimming pool rout bodies sound so bad compared to normal bodies. Too much wood removed in the wrong place. An HSH rout would cover all the options and sound better IMO.

I'm with you on this Simon, it is just something I have seen a fair bit on aftermarket bodies so put it out there.

DrNomis_44
12-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Another idea I just thought up is maybe have an option for Flamed Mapling, like the IB1 kit, but still retain the Strat body-shape, the headstock could be kept as the paddle-shape so that individual builders can customize it to their liking as per all the STA and TL kits, there's lots of scope for this kit idea.

I totally like the idea of having the standard HSH routing so that different pickup configurations can be accommodated.

And coil-tapping can simply be implemented using push-pull pots too.

Imagine what a HotRod Strat kit would look like with Dingotone finish on it?, lots of scope for different finishes there too, I'd love to see someone build one using Dingotone finish, you could even do Spalted too, quilted would look epic with a white pearloid scratchplate and either a chrome or black Floyd Trem.

stan
12-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Pretty cool idea, super strat with many options, nice one Doc

DrNomis_44
12-12-2016, 11:05 AM
A reversed-headstock option would be cool too.

dave.king1
12-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Just in the process of replacing the standard pups in my STA with the stacked Seymour Duncans and for those who are interested can report it is routed HSH from the factory so the only mods from standard would be for the FR & the locking nut

Simon Barden
12-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Good to know, Dave, thanks for that.

Whilst we are still in the design phase, has anyone got any comments about the size of the standard control cavity (having no experience with the kit)? Big enough to fit a 5-way super switch with extra caps and resistors, or a battery if anyone wants to go active? Or would a little more space be appreciated by some?

wokkaboy
12-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Hi Simon I have put in a larger 5 way switch (Allparts CRL 5 way from memory) in a STA kit and had to make the cavity a bit deeper below the switch. Think a battery would be tight in the existing cavity so you would probably need to allow to route a separate battery box cavity.

Simon Barden
12-12-2016, 03:53 PM
So, maybe a deeper rout in the switch area and an option for a battery box cavity rout? We'd have to pick a standard battery box for the rout idea to work.

Gotoh make a good robust one that I'd be happy with, but it's for a sideways mounting battery so quite deep (but relatively narrow). The shallower flat mounting battery boxes I've come across so far are all cheap things with less than ideal battery connections, though someone else may have found a better flat type than I have.

DrNomis_44
12-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Good to know, Dave, thanks for that.

Whilst we are still in the design phase, has anyone got any comments about the size of the standard control cavity (having no experience with the kit)? Big enough to fit a 5-way super switch with extra caps and resistors, or a battery if anyone wants to go active? Or would a little more space be appreciated by some?

Personally, I can't see why you couldn't do something radical, like installing a set of Active EMG pickups, I think that this would have been a popular mod back in the 80's, which reminds me, I have a Guitar Handbook that has a project in it for a simple preamp that can be installed in a Strat, under the scratchplate, it uses a single TLO71 IC and a few resistors and caps, looks relatively easy to make on a piece of Vero/stripboard, in fact, i seem to remember making one and it did work pretty well too.

Maybe that's a good project for the DIY section?

Simon Barden
12-12-2016, 04:15 PM
I'm trying to think of any other areas that could be improved. What do people think about a cutaway heel? Here's Fender's own version on an American Elite Strat.

Would something like that be worth it, or do people feel it would be too small a change to make any real difference to upper fret access?

There is of course nothing stopping anyone from doing this themselves and buying a 3rd party neck plate, as long as the neck came undrilled, otherwise the original neck-end high E side screw hole would be visible.

Any takers for this as standard, or leave as a DIY option (as long as an undrilled neck was available)?

Simon Barden
12-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Personally, I can't see why you couldn't do something radical, like installing a set of Active EMG pickups, I think that this would have been a popular mod back in the 80's.

It was, some of the most famous ones being Dave Gilmour's red Strats fitted with EMGs which he used as his main guitars from '85 through most of the '90s and still uses for some of the songs .

Even I succumbed - here's my 1987 white Chandler custom super-Strat (with Kahler trem split coil EMG 89 + 2 x EMG SA, and SPC presence boost) being played in 1994. Chandlers was a great guitar shop in Kew, London (sadly it shut down a few months ago due to the landlord doubling the rent) used by a lot of pro guitarists to maintain or modify their guitars (one of the DG red Strats came from Chandlers).

DrNomis_44
14-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I've just emailed Adam a new pic of my HotRod Strat, he's going to show it to the workers in the Factory in China, so, it looks like this kit idea will become an official PBG kit......awesome.

Andy40
14-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Sweet Hasslehoff sunnies Simon....

DrNomis_44
27-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Sweet Hasslehoff sunnies Simon....

Hey Andy, Happy Birthday mate!!, hope you had a good one.

wazkelly
27-12-2016, 08:10 PM
+1 from me too (almost forgot).

Hope it was a good day for you with lots of nice prezzies.

Andy40
03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys...just saw this...:o had a great day with the kids