PDA

View Full Version : Sound Demo of Lyn #14 - The solid body acoustic

robin
08-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Seeing as I promised to do a Demo I thought I had better. No way I’m doing a Youtube though (even if I knew how), you’ll have to settle for SoundCloud.

https://soundcloud.com/user473075613/acoustic-demo

If anybody is interested, this is how I did it.

0 – 23 Sec
Finger picking – No added fx, just dry DI guitar.
23 – 45 Sec
Same chords strummed. Mono track dry, no fx
45 – 1:06
Same chords strummed. Doubled tracked stereo, panned hard left and hard right. Dry, No fx.
1:06 – End
Same doubled tracked (no fx) stereo chords with added centre track with EQ and Chorus to try for a 12 string sound. Unfortunately I mixed the Chorus track a bit too loud and didn't get the EQ quite right, but it was just a quick and dirty attempt.

Overall I’m really happy how she turned out. I find the recording a bit harsh, but with Amp Sims and EQ, I’m sure I can get close to the sound I want.

Cheers guys
rob.

wokkaboy
08-12-2016, 12:13 PM
awesome Westy it does sound very close to an acoustic guitar and the last parts with EQ and chorus did sound like a 12 string.

and congrats for logging up 4 figure posts, you will catch me one day hahahah

love the new avatar too mate !

wokkaboy
08-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Westy I have your other soundcloud tracks on in the background, good work mate, you have created some very cool tracks.
Did you also play sax on one of the tracks ?

Andy40
08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Rob that looks and sounds great. You should be really proud. I found that highly enjoyable, thanks for taking the time to post it.:cool:

FrankenWashie
08-12-2016, 01:56 PM
That is an absolutely wonderful result. From some very basic materials you've crafted something I, and probably most of the forum, would gladly have in their herds. Fantastic job, thank you for sharing the process with us.

G-Axe
08-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Sounds amazing. What you've managed to accomplish with just hand tools and a slab of pine blows my mind. Out of curiosity, what's the piezo bridge/pre-amp you've used? I suspect I've got something similar in my electric/acoustic, but it doesn't sound half as good.

andrewdosborne
08-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Sound great I'm surprised how acoustic it sounds

Sent from Android N

JB RETRO
08-12-2016, 03:47 PM
sounds richer than I thought it would

WeirdBits
08-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Great sounds Rob, something to be proud of.

robin
08-12-2016, 06:39 PM
@Warren
Thanks mate. Me play sax?? Haha. No mate, I’m flat out hitting a string with a hunk of plastic.

The Sax (and the Flugelhorn) you heard on that track are actually sounds you can play on a keyboard. They’re called a “soundfonts” that, with the right software, you can record on most DAW’s. Fairly old technology now, but those two stand the test of time, and have a lovely “breathy” quality about them.

Posts? I have only just made it to 4 figures and you’re into the 5’s!! Yeah I can see me catching you any day now. Lol.

@Andy40, Frankie, AndrewO, JB and Scott,
Thanks guys, but you are too kind.

@G-Axe
Thanks mate, it is a Fishman Presys Plus Pre-Amp. Or a knock-off, as I bought it on-line from China. From memory it cost between $30 -$40.

My guitar has 3 plain strings (standard superlite D’Addario Electric set) whereas most acoustics only have 2 plain strings. Maybe that’s why is has a very bright sound??

Cheers guys, and thanks again.
rob

Dedman
08-12-2016, 08:09 PM
bravo Robin, once again you have done an awesome job . Take a bow, no , take 2.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Demotiv/tumblr_mm0lr87wbJ1soqgbqo1_500_zpsqf1lfudj.gif

Simon Barden
08-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Not a bad sound at all. I've heard a lot worse from very expensive guitars. To me it's got a bit of a compressed sound to it, with the notes 'blooming' after being picked, especially at the bass end, and a very long sustain, (probably of the result of having a solid body), so you might try a little downwards expansion to get it sounding more like a miked acoustic.

Some nice Soundcloud tracks there, though I was a bit disappointed your Song 2 didn't break into a raucous WOOHOO! ;)

stan
09-12-2016, 04:17 AM
Rob, this is an epic guitar, sounds and looks great, and I just might have to steal this idea... well done

dave.king1
09-12-2016, 04:24 AM
That really does sound nice Rob, looks even better

robin
09-12-2016, 04:34 AM
@Dedman,
Thanks mate. Sometimes luck plays a bit part.

@Simon,
Thanks mate.

To me it's got a bit of a compressed sound to it, with the notes 'blooming' after being picked, especially at the bass end, and a very long sustain, (probably of the result of having a solid body), so you might try a little downwards expansion to get it sounding more like a miked acoustic.

You have a good ear Simon, and you are right as usual. In my euphoria of the guitar actually working, and my enthusiasm of recording it, I completely forgot that although I recorded the guitar dry I did use a compressor and a limiter on the master fader to bring up the volume. I am in the habit of gain staging tracks to -12db and bumping the master fader. Maybe I over did it, as I was in a hurry to just get it recorded. Still pretty new to all this.

Thanks for your input mate, much appreciated.
rob

robin
09-12-2016, 04:37 AM
@Stan and Dave,
Thanks guys.

Simon Barden
09-12-2016, 05:03 AM
Explains a lot! Acoustic guitar sounds are one of those sounds that generally only require very light compression, if anything. Of course there are always exceptions and it always depends on the context. But a quicker release time should probably sort it out on any further recordings.

Good on you for gain-staging to leave headroom. It really does help.

robin
09-12-2016, 06:38 AM
Thanks again Simon, tips noted and stored away for future reference. I need all the help I can get. I had a fairly slow attack AND release time, I'll know better next time. :D

DrNomis_44
09-12-2016, 06:33 PM
@ robin To my ears, your solid body acoustic guitar sounds indistinguishable from a standard acoustic guitar, it is that close, it looks cool too, cheers for posting the demo.

Fretworn
10-12-2016, 03:26 AM
Sounds like that guitar would be great for recording, especially on a busy band track where a normal acoustic would struggle to compete.

robin
10-12-2016, 04:48 AM
@Doc,
Thanks mate, I must admit it is closer to the sound of a real acoustic than I expected.

@Fretty
My thoughts exactly Fretty. I think its a bit too bright by itself, but should cut through a mix OK. Plus I always have the EQ on the pre-amp of the guitar and my fx pedal to dial it in. Its not like I play gigs in different environments etc, I just have to get it dialed in to one room (church).

For recording, I can use any number of plugins in my DAW to get the sound I want.

gavinturner
16-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Wow Rob, that sounds amazing. That acoustic tone is just from the pickup?? I'm astounded to tell you the truth! Great job dude.

cheers,
Gav.

robin
16-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks Gav. Yep its just the under saddle piezo pickup that you are hearing. You can see them on ebay ranging from just a few $$ through to $200+ I guess I just got lucky. Mine is a Fishman for about $35. But I'm more than happy with the result.

Still got to sort out intonation problems, but that can wait till after Christmas. At least she sounds good playing open chords.

Cheers mate
rob

Zandit75
17-12-2016, 06:22 AM
I finally got a chance to listen to this. Great sound robin, well done!!
Not only would this be great as a recording guitar, but also as a gigging guitar. You will have the acoustic sound, but none of the feedback issues commonly found in acoustics when playing loud live.
Awesome job mate!

robin
17-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks Zandit, my criteria when I first started this build was exactly as you have pointed out. I am very pleased and surprised how she has turned out.