PDA

View Full Version : Swapping neck nuts

METAL Rulez 4ever
26-11-2016, 08:12 AM
How do i remove a nut and replace it with another one please ? I am trying to convert a left handed neck into right.

Dedman
26-11-2016, 08:48 AM
I've just grabed em with a pair of pliers and rocked gently back and forth untill the glue cracked and I got movememnt, then added upward pulling as well as rocking untill it came free. Much like a dentist pulling a tooth. :D just be gentle (she said)

WeirdBits
26-11-2016, 08:55 AM
It depends on the style of neck and nut. Is it a G type with the nut at the end of the fretboard, an F type with the nut inset in the fretboard or a locking style nut?

Brendan
26-11-2016, 10:27 AM
F type if you're not concerned about keeping the old nut - grab a sharp knife (exacto or something like that) and score between the nut and the fretboard where possible. Then with a hacksaw, cut from the top down, lengthwise through the guts - most of the way with a hacksaw blade. Grab some pliers and gently squeeze and the glue should let go and come out easily.

corsair
26-11-2016, 02:55 PM
You have to defeat the glue before the nut will shift easily, and yeah; sometimes grabbing with the pliers or drifting them out with a softface hammer will work a treat. If the glue is being stubborn, though, putting a domestic iron - on a low heat - on the nut briefly will often defeat the glue and allow the nut to be removed. Generally though, there's only a couple of drops of white glue holding them in and a quick tap with the afore-mentioned hammer will do the trick!

METAL Rulez 4ever
28-11-2016, 07:03 PM
It depends on the style of neck and nut. Is it a G type with the nut at the end of the fretboard, an F type with the nut inset in the fretboard or a locking style nut?

Thank you Dedman, WeirdBits, Brendon and Corsair for all you advice. I have not got the kit in as yet, however the supllier has informed me that the nut is on top and is 45mm. I hope this helps ?

Brendan
29-11-2016, 08:32 PM
What sort of kit are you looking at? That will tell us what type of nut you'll be dealing with.

METAL Rulez 4ever
29-11-2016, 10:14 PM
What sort of kit are you looking at? That will tell us what type of nut you'll be dealing with.

Hi Brendan, its an Iceman Bass kit.

DrNomis_44
30-11-2016, 01:45 PM
There are a couple of things you need to check before you install the new nut, first thing to check is the Fretboard Radius that the nut was made for, most standard Fender nuts were made to fit necks with a 9.5 inch Fretboard Radius, I think all the F-style necks that are in the F-style kits are made with a 12 inch Radius, which is flatter than a neck with a 9.5 inch Radius, you can buy a set of Radius Gauges online from Stewmac, the other thing you need to check is the length, width, and height dimensions of the nut, most replacement nuts do need some sanding in order for them to fit properly, another thing to check is the string-spacing of the nut-slots that the strings fit in.

For G-style nuts, you only need to give them a few gentle taps towards the headstock and they will come out relatively easily, F-style nuts can be removed by grasping them with a pair of pliers and gently rocking them backwards and forwards, this is usually enough to break the glue-bond.

dave.king1
30-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Take a lot of care removing F type nuts, the method described is correct but I have experienced fretboard and neck damage which happily in both cases was easily repairable.

Had nothing to do with rushing the job, I learned many years ago that being hasty is often expensive

wazkelly
30-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Iceman is basically what Ibanez were forced to come up with as a result of the lawsuit era so that they didn't get sued for continuing to make Explorer copies.

It is effectively a Gibson (G style) neck where the nut is at the end of the fret board whereas Fender (F style) have a groove cut into the fret board and therefore can be a bit more tricky to remove. A light tap towards the tuners and it will easily pop off.

You mention that it is a left hand neck and wondering is the body also a lefty too as that lower horn will end up in all the wrong places if it is.

METAL Rulez 4ever
05-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Iceman is basically what Ibanez were forced to come up with as a result of the lawsuit era so that they didn't get sued for continuing to make Explorer copies.

It is effectively a Gibson (G style) neck where the nut is at the end of the fret board whereas Fender (F style) have a groove cut into the fret board and therefore can be a bit more tricky to remove. A light tap towards the tuners and it will easily pop off.

You mention that it is a left hand neck and wondering is the body also a lefty too as that lower horn will end up in all the wrong places if it is.

Thank you Dedman, WeirdBits, Corsair, Brendan, Dr.Nomis and Dave. Your info was very helpful, much appreciated guys.
Yeah, i wanted the hook on top similar to the Fireman. Here are the pics of my finished project. Reversed lefty Iceman...Now a Fireman Bass. Its a pearl white finish with a marble effect and a coating of clear pearl glitter nail polish stolen from my Fiancee ! Haha.

Simon Barden
05-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Its a pearl white finish with a marble effect and a coating of clear pearl glitter nail polish stolen from my Fiancee ! Haha.

Or ex-fiancée if she ever finds out! ;)

METAL Rulez 4ever
05-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Or ex-fiancée if she ever finds out! ;)

She knows. She is great and liked the idea and result. But i bought her another 2 more bottles to replace what i used.:cool:

Simon Barden
05-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Good man, and you're still breathing. So you must have done something right. :)

METAL Rulez 4ever
05-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Good man, and you're still breathing. So you must have done something right. :)

I wasn't breathing much with the fumes of the nail polish ! Haha. :rolleyes:

wazkelly
05-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Not the best time to think about lighting up a smoke either.

METAL Rulez 4ever
05-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Not the best time to think about lighting up a smoke either.

Lucky i don't smoke.:o