PDA

View Full Version : Stain advice

dave.king1
26-11-2016, 05:51 AM
G'day all,

You may have see this thread http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6504 where I talk about doing a Merle Haggard tribute Tele which the kids are now funding as a christmas pressie, I'll be ordering it in the new year

I think your Coolonagtta Gold will be perfect for the lighter sections and neck but am at a bit of a loss for the black on the back and edges because it looks like a solid colour, I guess I could use acrylic if it is compatible with the DT stain.

Another question is how to go about masking to get the sharp edged transition between the colours.

Any advice will be most appreciated

ILRGuitars
26-11-2016, 07:13 AM
I've seen a lot of builds using black printer ink but better check for compatibility first. I found using different diluted washes of dye helped me control the level of fade in the burst on my TL-Q1. Of course, you can always cover and tape off the front and then spray paint he sides and back. No problem with doing that. Use auto pin striping tape for the bindings, flexible and gives a sharp edge, then scrape the bindings when it's all finished if there's any over-spray. Hope it helps.

wazkelly
26-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Hi Dave, Andy might be the best equipped forum member to answer this question given he is using DT products for the burst on his double necker.

Simon Barden
26-11-2016, 07:29 PM
As DingoTone contains oils and waxes, it isn't going to be compatible with an acrylic spray. It won't stick well, and you'll get puckering and orange peel effects. So you may have to go all acrylic, or else live with some translucency on the dark colours. It is going to be a tribute after all, and not an exact copy. Or you could go water based stains (which you could spray on with an airbrush for the sunbursts) and then finish with clear acrylic or tru-oil.

dave.king1
26-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the hints and answers guys, I've also been in touch with DB via email with some pointers as well.

Once I see the colour of the kids money and get the kit home I'll get a diary happening.

( her indoors is blissfully unaware of this at the moment but she does know I am planning to build another car :) )

Simon Barden
26-11-2016, 08:06 PM
(There seems to be something wrong with that thread link in your OP as I get a 'server not found' message).