PDA

View Full Version : EX-7 - 7 String Explorer

Slayer666
21-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Hey folks,

Thought I would post my thoughts on the EX-7 - 7 String Explorer (transparent honey) I purchased recently.

Overall I am happy with the quality of this axe, the finish is excellent and is well constructed.

It came pretty well set-up - I did need to change the strings to a heavier gauge as the stock strings were far to lose for a 7 string especially if you like to down tune. It plays well and stays in tune which is awesome.

For $300, it's an awesome looking guitar and given I am new to 7 strings this was a great purchase. I will look at upgrading at least the bridge pickup at some stage.

Cheers Adam!

wokkaboy
21-11-2016, 09:38 AM
good one Slayer glad you are happy with the EX-7. You should have a crack at building a kit next !

Raz
21-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Thanks for posting this. I actually just ordered an EX-7 (satin black). Should be mailed out today.
Are there any mods you think you're going to do to it?
Any more detailed info for a review? Weight, how solid it feels, things it's definitely going to need over than the bridge pup (i.e, tuners, bone nut, etc). Overall sound?
Also: What pickups are you looking at putting in?

I'll be monitoring this thread closely and making one of my own *hopefully* soon. haha.

Slayer666
23-11-2016, 03:01 PM
good one Slayer glad you are happy with the EX-7. You should have a crack at building a kit next !

Hey wokka, I have a PRS kit waiting for me to pull my finger out, I actually bought it months ago before the 7 String... need some dedicated time. Can't wait to start.

wokkaboy
23-11-2016, 03:03 PM
sounds good Slayer, I think you will really enjoy building a kit and be warned it is 'slightly' addictive hahah

Slayer666
23-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks for posting this. I actually just ordered an EX-7 (satin black). Should be mailed out today.
Are there any mods you think you're going to do to it?
Any more detailed info for a review? Weight, how solid it feels, things it's definitely going to need over than the bridge pup (i.e, tuners, bone nut, etc). Overall sound?
Also: What pickups are you looking at putting in?

I'll be monitoring this thread closely and making one of my own *hopefully* soon. haha.

Hey Raz,

For the price I think it's awesome. I had never really played a 7 string before so didn't know really what to expect. The body is solid and well put together as I stated - I have no issues with that. Having played an Explorer style before, it's as comfortable to play as my ESP model 6 string (I play sitting down). The stock sound is good enough for an entry level 7 string, especially with the heavier gauge strings on it. I used Ernie Ball 10-62's.

I would upgrade the tuners, nut, PuP's (either EMG 707's or something from Seymour Duncan) if I had the spare cash and really got into 7 strings. For me though, the pickups would be the first thing to pimp up just to get a fuller/nicer tone.

I hope this helps!

Raz
24-11-2016, 03:22 AM
Hey Raz,

For the price I think it's awesome. I had never really played a 7 string before so didn't know really what to expect. The body is solid and well put together as I stated - I have no issues with that. Having played an Explorer style before, it's as comfortable to play as my ESP model 6 string (I play sitting down). The stock sound is good enough for an entry level 7 string, especially with the heavier gauge strings on it. I used Ernie Ball 10-62's.

I would upgrade the tuners, nut, PuP's (either EMG 707's or something from Seymour Duncan) if I had the spare cash and really got into 7 strings. For me though, the pickups would be the first thing to pimp up just to get a fuller/nicer tone.

I hope this helps!

It completely helps.
I've only owned one 7 string before and it was a shoddy mess (haven't owned a Jackson since). I'm in the same category in basically all of what you are. I always gravitate towards Explorer styled, my other guitar is a 6 string Dean Z; and yeah with these styles and especially the weight that comes on some of them, much easier to play sitting down. I signed up for Wired Guitarist's "StringDrop" string subscription so I'll be reporting on that when I can.

Only difficult part on upgrading the pups is the price. a SD Nazgul/Sentient combo is expensive (to me at least). Really for me what gets upgraded depends on finances at the time of upgrading, and overall individual need. Want new pickups and can afford? that happens first. Able to get new tuners and feel they're needed but can't spend the ~200 on the pups? then I'll go with some new Grovers, Sperzels, etc.

I'm also working on some sketches of custom pickguards, and once I've made about 5 or 6 total designs I might put them on here and take votes; or give ideas to others that have the same guitar. Or, even give a full template of the set (once I make them that detailed, that is).

Slayer666
25-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Sounds good mate. See how happy you are with the stock guitar, you might be surprised. Pit bull sell some reasonably priced pickup upgrade options too (I have never heard them though). And yeah, post some pics!

Happy shredding \m/

Raz
29-11-2016, 01:45 AM
I've seen the pickups with the pentagram on them before. Never heard what they sound like though. One thing I'm thinking of changing when it arrives is the nut. Probably one of the cheapest changes I can do. Would a 7 string Bone (if possible to find) or a Tusq Graph Tech nut be the preferable?

Oh and good news: According to USPS Tracking: the guitar cleared the US Customs and should arrive tomorrow! The 3ish mile (aka 5ish km) walk home from campus will be done in record time.

Simon Barden
29-11-2016, 02:15 AM
Both would be good replacements. If you were playing fairly cleanly and playing lots of open chords, then a bone nut would probably be the better choice for tone, but if you are mainly chugging or shredding away on distorted amps, then the Tusq nut would be preferable with regards to tuning stability, (not that both types can't provide stable tuning, but the graphite in the Tusq nut does help a bit).

Raz
29-11-2016, 03:01 AM
Thanks, Simon! I play, and prefer, chugga chugga. Tusq it is.

Slayer666
20-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Simon! I play, and prefer, chugga chugga. Tusq it is.

How's the 7 string chugging going Raz?

I recorded some riffs the other day with mine which sounded great. Getting the Entwhistle dark star bridge pickup for Xmas \m/

wazkelly
20-12-2016, 06:37 PM
I had a jam with some young fellas last week at the Palmwoods Hotel which is in the hinterland here on the Sunshine Coast last Thursday night and one of the kids had an 8 string Schecter that had a low B plus a low F# which was about .76 gauge. Pretty wide neck and he absolutely Aced me turning up with my EX-5 in terms of which was more oddball on the night.

It had an interesting sound where single notes on the fat strings overlapped some of those on a conventional Bass' thin G string. Chords sounded quite dark and muddy and it just did my head in trying to figure out fingering positions for various common chord patterns.

Yet to fully master 6 strings on a conventional guitar but from playing 5 string Bass for a few months now I fully get it as to why a 7 string guitar could work well for some genres and for single note picking it makes accessing those lower notes so much easier.

Zandit75
20-12-2016, 06:47 PM
You'll be playing one of these in no time Waz!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apd5Xv2k41U

wazkelly
20-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Haven't got enough spare time to master anything like that.

Slayer666
21-12-2016, 10:01 AM
I have recorded some riffs on the EX-7... I will work out how to link it to here for anyone interested in hearing how bad my playing is and what the actual guitar sounds like.

FrankenWashie
21-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Haven't got enough spare time to master anything like that.

I'm not sure I possess the mental capacity to deal with that many strings. I struggle with six!

wokkaboy
21-12-2016, 10:12 AM
good stuff Slayer look forward to hearing it. What software/website have you used to upload the soundfile ?

If it's soundcloud then just paste the link.

I have a 7 string Iceman I haven't spent much time playing but love the low B string sound and low chords

Slayer666
21-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Here tis, pretty rough but gives you an idea of the sound you can get out of this guitar:

https://soundcloud.com/user-940579060

wokkaboy
21-12-2016, 11:37 AM
sounds great Slayer, nice low and chunky chords, is that in a standard tune ? Nice riffs dude !

FrankenWashie
21-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Mmmm, very chunky. Really does growl in the lower registers doesn't it? Great stuff! (quietly slips that one into the eventual build list...)

wokkaboy
21-12-2016, 12:44 PM
haha Frankie your eventual build list must be miles longer than the 5 in the project list hahahah

Slayer666
21-12-2016, 01:38 PM
sounds great Slayer, nice low and chunky chords, is that in a standard tune ? Nice riffs dude !

Thanks mate, I will upload a few other tunes I have done on my 6 strings soon... this one is in Drop A. I changed the strings to Ernie Ball Cobalt's, the B string is a 64 gauge I think... thick as!

wokkaboy
21-12-2016, 01:58 PM
nice one Slayer, when I get time to play my IC-7 I'll have a play around with some drop tunings. I just ordered some baritone strings for a current build and the E string is 68 gauge

Slayer666
21-12-2016, 02:14 PM
nice one Slayer, when I get time to play my IC-7 I'll have a play around with some drop tunings. I just ordered some baritone strings for a current build and the E string is 68 gauge

\m/ sounds awesome!

FrankenWashie
21-12-2016, 04:57 PM
haha Frankie your eventual build list must be miles longer than the 5 in the project list hahahah

You've no idea...neither does the better half!

Slayer666
21-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Here's a few more tracks

https://soundcloud.com/user-940579060

Better quality now.

wazkelly
22-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Wow, for a stock finished guitar costing around $300 bucks that sound is awesome and suggests fantastic value for money. Love the colour scheme and how it has accentuated the Ash grainy goodness.

Slayer666
23-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Yep agreed, for the prices it's a great intro to 7 strings. The Entwhistle pick up I am getting will only improve it for $50.

wazkelly
24-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Amazing value