PDA

View Full Version : Help on fitting aftermarket hardware

nitroburner1000
13-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Hi guys, plain and simple.. would this hardware fit into any of pitbulls guitars, i would love a jaguar replica.

stan
14-11-2016, 01:43 AM
it might all go on a JM, but it wouldn't be set up for all the switching options so you might have to get in some creative routing.

And yes a Jag kit would be awesome

zeromick
14-11-2016, 05:38 AM
Also... the Jag is a short scale 24 in (610 mm), the bridge as it sits now on the pickguard will not be right for the full scale neck 25.5 in (648 mm) on the JM kit.... so no, you cant fit that onto any of the pitbull kits without extensive mods.

Simon Barden
14-11-2016, 05:53 AM
You need to remember that a Jaguar had a shorter scale length (24") compared to the standard Fender scale (25.5"). So if you butt the scratchplate up against a standard Fender scale neck, the bridge won't be far enough away from the neck by about 1.5". If you put it so that the bridge was in the right place, then you'd have a 1.5" gap between it and the neck. The PitbBull JM-1 has a 25.5" scale neck and the body is routed out for a bridge located to match that scale length. Even if you got hold of a 24" scale neck, the bridge routing on a JM-1 would still be around 1/2" /13mm (my rough estimate) too far away from the neck.

You'd really need a proper Jaguar guitar kit unless you did a lot of filling and re-routing. Maybe Adam could source one.

adam
14-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Yes, we have asked, but they don't have plans for a Jaguar style kit.

Chuck
14-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Maybe order a JM kit with an unrouted body? You could also just go a scratch body build...

wazkelly
14-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Where would you source a 24" neck as the odd short scale length seems to be the biggest issue?

Simon Barden
14-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Major suppliers I know of are Warmoth (but then you are paying so much that you'd need a very good body to match and make the outlay justifiable), or Allparts. A web search will turn out more, but almost all are showing up in the US. You could keep watch on eBay (though most will still be from the US), though they are quite rare and still relatively expensive, especially with shipping included. I haven't seen one for less than £130/A$210.

nitroburner1000
14-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, looks like that idea is down the tube.

stan
15-11-2016, 03:41 AM
you could get an unrouted strat, and use the regular neck and go from there...

or get DB to make a neck and do a custom body...

do you have the hardware or is it just a pic?

Simon Barden
15-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Even if the body was unrouted and you used a regular scale neck, there would still be the problem of the holes in the pickguard for the bridge posts being in the wrong place if the pickguard was placed right against the end of the neck. You might be able to put the bridge behind the pickguard, but then it would look wrong for a Jaguar. Which then means you really need a new pickguard to compensate for the extra scale length. It all becomes rather complicated.

I found a UK company making decent Strat and Tele bodies and they also do a good Jaguar body. But although they do Strat and Tele style necks (with spade-style headstocks), they don't do a short scale neck to match.

nitroburner1000
15-11-2016, 06:24 PM
you could get an unrouted strat, and use the regular neck and go from there...

or get DB to make a neck and do a custom body...

do you have the hardware or is it just a pic?

No its just a pic at the moment

nitroburner1000
15-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Even if the body was unrouted and you used a regular scale neck, there would still be the problem of the holes in the pickguard for the bridge posts being in the wrong place if the pickguard was placed right against the end of the neck. You might be able to put the bridge behind the pickguard, but then it would look wrong for a Jaguar. Which then means you really need a new pickguard to compensate for the extra scale length. It all becomes rather complicated.

I found a UK company making decent Strat and Tele bodies and they also do a good Jaguar body. But although they do Strat and Tele style necks (with spade-style headstocks), they don't do a short scale neck to match.

Ok, appreciate your input

nitroburner1000
15-11-2016, 06:32 PM
So another idea, could i get a JM-1 retain all the original hardware, bridge etch, but use the pickguard , the switches, and chrome switch holders? Then route the body as needed and shape the pickguard to suit or cut a new one from a blank?

Simon Barden
15-11-2016, 07:07 PM
You may be able to, but without any idea of the exact size of the JM-1 body and the routing sizes, it's very difficult to say. Without the Jag/Jazz trem, it's not gong to look that Jaguar-like.

Dedman
15-11-2016, 07:34 PM
you could order a Gibson neck on an unrouted Jag body I guess

wazkelly
15-11-2016, 07:41 PM
You could maybe buy this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fender-62-Japanese-reissue-Jaguar-/152315044326?hash=item2376af21e6:g:AkAAAOSwXeJYJqB 5
Or maybe this one?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/prahran/guitars-amps/fender-squier-jaguar-electric-guitar/1126932022

zeromick
16-11-2016, 05:36 AM
I looked at doing a jag style by modding a kit but opted for a (slightly) more traditional Jazz style... build diary below

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4071

To go full jag style by modding, buying the correct neck, hardware ect would potentially be more than picking up a Squier Jag and modding/refinishing to your liking... I ended up grabbing one off ebay for under $500 with upgraded Mustang bridge and it is a killer guitar.

nitroburner1000
16-11-2016, 02:59 PM
You may be able to, but without any idea of the exact size of the JM-1 body and the routing sizes, it's very difficult to say. Without the Jag/Jazz trem, it's not gong to look that Jaguar-like.

Thats one thing about this site, nothing is traditional, the guitars i want to build are ones that are not the norm, so ta for the input mate

nitroburner1000
16-11-2016, 03:00 PM
you could order a Gibson neck on an unrouted Jag body I guess

Im not too worried about using the bridge and trem gear just the switches. cheers

nitroburner1000
16-11-2016, 03:01 PM
You could maybe buy this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fender-62-Japanese-reissue-Jaguar-/152315044326?hash=item2376af21e6:g:AkAAAOSwXeJYJqB 5
Or maybe this one?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/prahran/guitars-amps/fender-squier-jaguar-electric-guitar/1126932022

The fun is in building them for me, ta waz

nitroburner1000
16-11-2016, 03:03 PM
I looked at doing a jag style by modding a kit but opted for a (slightly) more traditional Jazz style... build diary below

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4071

To go full jag style by modding, buying the correct neck, hardware ect would potentially be more than picking up a Squier Jag and modding/refinishing to your liking... I ended up grabbing one off ebay for under $500 with upgraded Mustang bridge and it is a killer guitar.

Love it and thats what its all about for me, modding so its uniquely yours...thanks

Simon Barden
16-11-2016, 04:49 PM
I could keep my eye on this for you, if only for the neck alone. You may be better off with a new body, though fixing it up would certainly be a real project! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-jaguar-guitar-please-read-carefully-/112203287140?hash=item1a1fd64a64:g:eSYAAOSwA3dYKID n

I'd be happy to buy it and post it on for you at cost if you're interested. Obviously let me know what your maximum outlay would want to be (I'd need it posted here first before posting it on as it's too far away to collect). Currently £1 = A$1.66.

nitroburner1000
16-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I could keep my eye on this for you, if only for the neck alone. You may be better off with a new body, though fixing it up would certainly be a real project! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-jaguar-guitar-please-read-carefully-/112203287140?hash=item1a1fd64a64:g:eSYAAOSwA3dYKID n

I'd be happy to buy it and post it on for you at cost if you're interested. Obviously let me know what your maximum outlay would want to be (I'd need it posted here first before posting it on as it's too far away to collect). Currently £1 = A$1.66.

Really appreciate the offer Simon, nothings in concrete yet, just toying with the idea for my next project. If it comes to fruition ill give you a yell but it wont be for awhile yet, unless i have more than one on the go.

wazkelly
16-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Hey Nitro, the UK eBay special has made in China on the neck and looks like it would need plenty of refinishing on the body. Makes a locally sourced Squire possibly a better bet.

nitroburner1000
16-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Hey Nitro, the UK eBay special has made in China on the neck and looks like it would need plenty of refinishing on the body. Makes a locally sourced Squire possibly a better bet.

Ok cheers mate. So it looks like a Chender! will give a yell when and if i go ahead with it.

Simon Barden
16-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Yes, Fender are now selling some Chinese-made guitars as Fenders rather than Squiers.