PDA

View Full Version : guitar wax

Petergrout
12-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Hi All My Dingotone Guitar wax arrived yesterday and is very hard and dry. Is there a preferred method of softening it up or would a bit of heat do the job?

wazkelly
12-11-2016, 04:46 PM
A few weeks ago I put mine through the microwave at 30 seconds to begin with and then additional 10-20 second intervals until things softened up. Just need to be careful as the centre will soften and melt first and if you go too long it will end up as hot as molten lava.

Andy40
12-11-2016, 04:49 PM
I tried the microwave and didn't like the control I had over it.

I just dig a bit out and ply it in my fingers for a minute or so while my body heat warms it up. stick a bit on a rag with an eraser in it and apply to each fret. I keep kneading it in my fingers so it stays soft and put little bits on the rag as i go. once done, I get a coarser rage and wipe off any excess, then polish.

wazkelly
12-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Fair comments Andy. Just found mine had solidified as hard as petrified wood and needed a bit of external heat source to help things along a bit so that working with fingers was manageable.

Dedman
12-11-2016, 06:28 PM
I sat mine in a bowl of hot water, then applied at low speed with a polishing mop on the dremel

Rabbitz
13-11-2016, 10:32 AM
I've not used Dingotone wax,

I've found that if I leave my Mr. Zog's Sex Wax out in the sun it gets soft and runny.

:cool:

Petergrout
14-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Thanks a lot for your advice fellas. I was thinking of hot water or the heat gun. We'll see how I go