PDA

View Full Version : Allparts Ricky Style tailpiece problem

Janitor
01-11-2016, 01:22 PM
I bought an Allparts Ricky style tail piece for my RC-4 kit. However, there's a small dilemma with the tail piece. The screws that are used to adjust the muffler are glued to the nuts so hard that I can't get them to move. So the muffler is un-adjustable.
I'm afraid that if I grab a set of pliers and use raw power to unlock the screws I'll either break the screws or break the threads.
I tried to scrape the glue off the nut and heat it with a lighter to melt the glue but it didn't work. The screws still can't be opened.
I sent an email to Allparts but they told me that they're unable to help me and I should go to a local guitar repair shop or return the tail piece. :confused:

Does anyone have an easy solution to this?

Dedman
01-11-2016, 01:38 PM
There might be some lock tite or other thread locking crap on them. Try a little bit of heat (hair drier) or some solvent like acetone (nail polish remover). If its of oriental origin they some times drop stuff in the chrome vat with screws already in which will lock em in, sometimes heat will make the 2 metals expand at different rates and break the bond here too.

Janitor
01-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Problem solved.
I applied some serious heat to the nut with a soldering iron, grabbed a pair of pliers and started to wiggle the screw back and forth very carefully. The screw started to rotate and once I turned it enough, the nut fell off and I could see that there were threads in the muffler plate itself. Why would they put the nuts in there in the first place if the plate has threads?

Well, case closed. Now I'm just gonna have to wait for my RC-4 kit to arrive so I can start the bass building.

Dedman
01-11-2016, 04:32 PM
:D Fire makes it good!