PDA

View Full Version : Dingotone on both Neck and Body, differences in finish?

B'Lark
29-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm plotting a Tele kit build, and what I hope to do is stain the body, neck and fretboard (inspired by the Kiesels with their treated fretboards, http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargallery/images/full/dc7x-rnc-fdc-aat-bbe-ash-fph-bmf-tn-stjf-nin-5mw-dslb-bc-726-50caliburst-blue-treatedboard-aqua-125130_gallery.jpg for example)

What I'm wondering, is have many people got examples of using the same colour of Dingotone on both a body and their neck? I'm not sure how different they might end up with figured maple vs rock maple (or possibly Ash [EDIT: Or Basswood because I am a total sucker for Thinlines]), and whether it will end up annoying the crap out of me depending on how different they end up.

Andy40
30-10-2016, 04:17 AM
Hey B'Lark.

My LP-1SS was done in Karajini Red both neck and body. as both are mahogany, there was no difference in colour. no surprises there.

My SGD-612 (currently working on it) has a basswood body and a maple neck. I did a DT burst with Black stump, Karajini red, outback sunset and coolangatta gold on both the body and each neck. You can get the DT colours pretty close, but you have to work at it a bit.

The basswood is much more porous and the DT stain coats absorb really well, whereas the neck not so much. dont sand the maple neck so much with anything over 240 and the stain will take better.

By the time i think i was on my 4th or fifth stain coats they were pretty much on par.

B'Lark
30-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Ooh, your SGD-612 is a great example, and I'm glad I can potentially make it work. I'll definitely be checking through your build diary to see some details. Thanks man!!

wazkelly
30-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Hi Buddy, just responded on the other thread.

Both my Explorers were done with DT and on the EX-1 with just Cooloongatta Gold the colour blended nicely with the neck and you can still see the grain. From memory I may have done one more coat of stain or intensifier on the neck but it wasn't hard to get a colour match.

As Andy said, don't sand past 240.

B'Lark
30-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Awesome! Thanks Waz!! Looks like that sorts that part of the plans!

dingobass
30-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Wot they sed :D

B'Lark
31-10-2016, 06:24 PM
The approval of DB is always appreciated too :)

By the way, I have a couple of little questions that I wanted to ask about the Dingotone, I'll send em off in a PM to you shortly if that's alright, as the email address listed on the PBG website didn't work.