PDA

View Full Version : Clear Finish Problem

Peter H
29-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Hi Guys,
Can anyone give me some advice I'm clear coating my next bass build and I've already done 3x3 coats of white knight crystal clear gloss over 3days I have 2 to go, so I start with a new can today and when I when back to check it after the 2nd coat the clear as gone a matt finish and not gloss like all the previous coats. I'm just wondering whether wet sanding will bring back the gloss or that the clear is old and gone off.

They sell this product in Gloss and Satin so maybe the labelling is wrong I'm going to get some more from a different supplier. I hope this fixes the problem has this happen to anyone else.

stan
29-10-2016, 03:47 PM
hard to say, but try a fine sand back and go again.
the other possibility is blushing, caused by too much humidity when it was sprayed.
Some pics might help

Andy40
29-10-2016, 06:56 PM
I was going to ask how humid it was when spraying the last coat. It causes clouding. I agree with stan, you'll have to sand it back and do it again.

Peter H
30-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Update on finish. I went to a different supplier and got two more cans, then I sanded back the body a bit and re-spray and YES the gloss is back. So it looks like the other two cans are label wrong or faulty in some way. It wasn't humidity because before doing the body I just finished the neck but didn't have enough clear left in the can to carry on so I got a new can and that's where the problem started. Anyway problem fixed just have to wait for 3 weeks now befor I can start to wet sand. I will be adding a build diary soon. Stay Tune.

Simon Barden
01-11-2016, 07:10 PM
It should be possible to simply add clear gloss over a clear satin finish to get back to a clear finish again. I've done it with nitro sprays.

stan
02-11-2016, 04:32 AM
It should be possible to simply add clear gloss over a clear satin finish to get back to a clear finish again. I've done it with nitro sprays.

yes gloss will go over satin fine