PDA

View Full Version : Fender Starcaster Headstock question

zipen
24-10-2016, 06:36 PM
I am ignorant enough to at least attempt to turn my headstock into a starcaster-style. I have posted a pic of the real deal below.

Could a Dremel, a routing bit and a steady hand make that groove around the outer edge?
I'm not in love with the bump above the top E tuning peg, so in theory it should be able to be carved out of the Pitbull standard "paddle". It's really the channel I'm after.

zipen
24-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Sorry - just read the previous post on FS-1G headstock - rookie error.
I probably read that after some beverages on the weekend, and then forgot where I had previously seen it! I'll practice with the dremel on some spare wood.

wokkaboy
24-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Hey Zipen, good move practice on some scrap wood and when you cut the paddle you should be able to do a good job. If you are freehanding the dremel (ie no template to guide it) then stay a good few mm from the marked line and probably safer to do the final shaping with files and sandpaper

Fretworn
25-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Zipen, if you dig back through the build diary from a couple of years ago you will find a build where someone did something similar. Can't remember who it was or what guitar it was though.