PDA

View Full Version : IB-5 Wiring help.

Tiernan
19-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Hey guys, just got an IB-5 kit and its all setup aside from wiring, anyone got a bit of a cleaner diagram than on the pitbull website? I find it difficult to understand. Thanks.
--Tiernan

wokkaboy
19-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Hi Tiernan, welcome to the forum. The wiring diagram is pretty clear I think. Best get a piece of cardboard and poke the pot shafts through and write on each pot if it is bridge or neck and if it is tone or volume.
Let us know which part is confusing for you. Here is the link : http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/IB-5.pdf

the hardest part when I wired mine was working out the correct hot and earth lugs for the stereo jack.

Also a tip usually the control cover isn't recessed you may want to do that before sanding and check the jack retaining nut will reach the thread, best do this before you start sanding the body

Tiernan
19-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Is there any way you could send me a picture or something of the wiring? Just so I have a better idea

wokkaboy
19-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Hi Tiernan, I don't think a photo of the control cavity is going to be much help. At work I only have a photo of Robin's IB-5 wiring but should be similar to yours.
I've also added 2 other wiring diagrams see if they are clearer for you to read. Just ignore the jack connection on the two diagrams are mono, not stereo jack that you have.
Out of the 3 wiring diagrams I have posted the Pitbull one is by far the clearest and easiest to read

WeirdBits
19-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Tiernan, is there a particular part of the wiring you're having difficulties with? The diagram itself or matching the parts up to the layout? Pickup wires, pots, caps, output jack... some specific part or understanding the diagram in general?

Tiernan
21-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Hey Scott.
Thanks for the reply.
Ive got everything wired up and after a few adjustments, somehow the potentiometers are buzzing whenever I touch them and I have power running through them, and my pickups are making no sound at all

WeirdBits
21-10-2016, 05:00 PM
The buzzing when you touch the pots is most likely the hot and ground connections reversed on the output jack. No sound from the pickups is harder to diagnose, but most likely it's something shorting to ground or shielding.

Post some photos of your wiring if you can and we may be able to spot the problem.

Tiernan
21-10-2016, 05:15 PM
I took some photos and uploaded them http://imgur.com/a/fQnDO Sorry for any blur and the messy wires

WeirdBits
21-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Are the tips of the twisted red & white wires from the pickups soldered togther (it's hard to tell in the photos)? If not, for each pickup (separately) they need to be soldered and should then be insulated with some tape.

The two volume pots should have their 'non-wire' lug linked to ground via the back of the pot. Just solder a short link of bare wire from the lug to the back of the pot. You need this for the volume controls to work properly.

And, it's always hard to tell with those long flush-mount jacks, but you may need to swap the red and black wires on the lugs. If it buzzes when you touch a pot it usually means your jack's hot lug is actually connected to your guitar's ground and vice versa.