PDA

View Full Version : Earth wire on a hollow body?

ozzbike
05-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Guys of much wisdom. This less endowed member of the PB Community is trying to wire an ES-175 style build. I have a feeble inquiry, that you may wish to assist me with.

This is a true hollow body kit. Where do I run an earth wire? Across the body under the f hole, out of sight of course, to one of the banged in bridge posts for a tune-o-matic bridge, or down the body and out a sneaky drilled hole under the mounting body of a trapeze tailpiece. These are the only two options I can think of. As a hollowbody...no wood for the pickup cavities....they are just cut into the top and will screw into the veneer itself.

Being a fender style person myself....bridges are reasonably easy to find. I have never even done the push down the hole thing on a solid body Les Paul.

WeirdBits
05-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Typically, under the trapeze tailpiece for floating bridges. However, with fixed bridge posts you also have the option of the ground wire in the side of the post hole. Your choice.

enikoy
05-10-2016, 04:11 PM
For me I did....

"Across the body under the f hole, out of sight of course, to one of the banged in bridge posts for a tune-o-matic bridge."

I stripped the wire insulation the same length as the bridge post. Then held the wire against the post as I pushed the post in. So the earth/grounding wire is making contact the full length of the bridge post side, squashed against the timber body.

ozzbike
05-10-2016, 06:00 PM
It is only a 3 to 5 mil veneer. That will be enough contact on the bridge post? The bridge holes don't go into solid wood. The strain of the strings is taken by the trapeze tailpiece.

I think I will try the bridge post thing......just keep it tucked up under the lip of the post socket.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

WeirdBits
05-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Is it a PBG kit? If so, there should be a small solid block that runs from the top to the bottom to support the bridge post holes. A ply top alone isn't enough for the ground wire (or the bridge posts imo), unless you maybe used a washer/eyelet and nut on the underside of the post to attach the wire to etc.

Dedman
05-10-2016, 06:56 PM
On my Es-5 I drilled a hole under the mounting plate for the tail piece , stripped a good length of wire and let it get sandwiched between the tail piece and body...seems to work

enikoy
05-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Mine has block inside, as deep as the bridge plugs, about 11cm x 8cm. Then this has a brace running through to the back of the guitar. It’s not a pitbull, but a DIY guitar shop version.

You can see the block on mine here.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10392&d=1460264070

ozzbike
06-10-2016, 05:40 AM
Oops, went to the shed and had a look....mine is the same as enikoy.....above. Think I will try the bridge post. Thanks guys. 😀

Simon Barden
03-11-2016, 09:38 PM
My ES-3 kit already had a hole drilled for an earth wire to the bridge post nearest the controls. It's not obvious, but it should be there.