PDA

View Full Version : Sunburst finish with dingotone

AnAbidingDude94
21-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Hey all :)

Bit of a rookie here, but I've ordered myself a custom guitar kit. It'll be an IB-1 with a spalted maple veneer and a mahogany body, and a black and white binding. I'm keen to use dingotone because I love the colours on range, and was eyeing off the outback sunset for this guitar. I love this image in particular https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DTOS3.jpg. I was thinking of trying to achieve something similar to that picture, and this one here http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-y4i71le/product_images/uploaded_images/spalt.jpg.

So my question is, how do you go about doing a burst with dingotone? How do you approach the stain coat and the intensifying coats? I have some leftover Karajini red here, would that work well with the outback sunset?

Kind regards,

Nathan

dingobass
21-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Hi Nathan.
When doing a burst, always begin by applying the lighter colour first.
Work from the centre outwards and stop where the darker colour will meet the lighter one.
Then apply the dark working from the outside and feather blend it into the lighter colour.
I would suggest doing a practice run on a scrap chunk of tree as bursts can be a bit of a challenge first time round.

When you have achieved the desired colour depth, let it cure for a few days and repeat the process with the intensifyer coats.

Outback and Karijini would look amazing together :)

wazkelly
21-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Hey Dude94, DT Outback Sunset can be more of a dark orange than what is shown in that image which from memory may have been one of Wokka's builds. On my EX-5 ended up mixing it with Coolangatta Gold to lighten things up.

Have a look at Andy40's SGD12 build as he is doing a burst and used up my leftover DT OS plus used DT CG and possibly Black Stump. He has also built a LP in Karajini Red and some of that may have been added to the mix too. His build thread provides these details at about this point.... http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5516&page=8

Fretworn
22-09-2016, 10:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7Og9Gc_KY

Welcome Duderino!

Muzza
22-09-2016, 07:05 PM
(Muzza.... keep..... out.... of.... it....)

dingobass
22-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Bwahahahaha!
Next time Muzza.. you can do it! :D

Muzza
22-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Oh, I got there in the end DB. But at what cost to my physical and mental well being...?

(Well... One of the two turned out really nice. I guess 50% is considered a pass mark!)

wazkelly
22-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Bwahahahaha!
Next time Muzza.. you can do it! :D

Reminds me of that Fawlty Towers sketch with the Germans in the dining room......"whatever you do, don't talk about the war".

Muzza
22-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Yep. When Muz is online... 'Don't mention bursts'...

dingobass
22-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Yep.. 50% is a pass :)

Bit like me wiring anything more complicated than a Telecaster... guaranteed to cause a massive Tourettes attack..
My better half aways goes out when I wire guitars up as she cant stand the language that comes from the workshop :D

AnAbidingDude94
23-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Thank you for your response, Dingobass, gives a lot of direction :)

One quick question though, when you say 'feather blend it into the lighter colour", do you mean to say that I should mix the two together to help make the burst seem more natural at the points where the two colours mesh? Or to just take extra care when meshing the two colours and applying the outer colour delicately? :) Sorry if that sounds convoluted.

Kind regards,

Nathan

AnAbidingDude94
23-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Cheers for the pointer there wazkelly. I'll try it out on some spare wood (while practicing the burst) to determine whether I am happy with the shade. Could very well be happy with a darker orange, and if not, I'll follow your advice :) Thanks mate

AnAbidingDude94
23-09-2016, 06:39 PM

Thanks Fretworm!

dingobass
23-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Or to just take extra care when meshing the two colours and applying the outer colour delicately?

Thats the one! :)
Dont over fill your cloth and carefully blend the dark into the light so you end up with a gradual transition

Andy40
27-09-2016, 04:45 PM
The burst on my SGD-612 is coolangatta gold in the middle, 50% Karajini Red and 50% Outback Sunset in the blend line and Black Stump on the edges. I mixed the 50/50 Karajini and OS in a spare bottle first then used it as its own colour (did the same with the intensifying coat. It blends with Coolangatta Gold quite well and also Black stump.

I used three different pots with each colour and 5 pieces of cotton, 1 piece of cotton for each colour and the other two to feather or blend between each band. I put down the Black stump around the edge first, then the Coolangatta gold in the middle leaving an unstained track in between, then I put down the 50/50 blend of Karajini and OS without hitting the other stain coats as best I could. I then took each spare "blend cloth" and feathered in between each band.

I was more generous with the Coolangatta Gold middle patch first because as you put down each stain coat (and intensifying coat) the darker colours invade towards the middle.

Good luck mate.