PDA

View Full Version : The testing commences

adam
16-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Picked up a few samples while in China.

I've always thought an inexpensive, good quality, low wattage, genuine valve amp would be a good addition to the e-store. I really like my Vox mini stack and would even use it live (mic'd up), it sounds so good.

If we can get something like that, in a combo, I think it would be a winner.

There's plenty of $100-150 5 watt practice amps around, so if we can pitch slightly above this level, I think we might find a niche.

I also picked up a few pedals; delay, chorus, hi gain distortion and a tube screamer style pedal.

I've arranged for some comprehensive testing here in Perth and we'll feed back the results to the factory and hopefully end up with some new products early next year, after some refining.

So, what would you want to pay for a 5 Watt valve amp and the listed pedals?

What's missing in the inexpensive mini amp and pedal market?

What colour would you prefer the amp? (The "Fender colours" don't work for me... needs more Pit Bull Guitars red and black)

FrankenWashie
16-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Black vinyl covered box with a red gauze cloth front, black panel with red knobs, Pitbull logo stencilled on the cloth perhaps?

DrNomis_44
16-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Hi Adam,

That little Classic 5 Amp looks cool, I scored myself a Legacy Valve Edition 5 Plus amp from one of my local music shops a few years ago for only $180.00 because it was faulty, it turned out to be easily fixable though, the thing is, it was normally retailing for about $299.00 if my memory serves me right, it was a 5 Watter, just like that Classic 5 in the pic you posted, so, I'd be prepared to pay around $300.00 at the most for a nice little 5 Watt Valve amp, others would probably disagree.

I think that Classic 5 amp would look cool in the Pitbull colours, but with the Tweed pattern.

Nice selection of pedals you have there too.

Hope the testing goes well mate.

Here's a thought, what about getting a little 5 Watt Valve amp custom-designed and manufactured for Pitbull Guitars?

Andy40
16-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Don't suppose the pedals can be a build too?

DrNomis_44
16-09-2016, 06:06 PM

Now there's an intreguing good idea, what if there was a line of custom-designed/manufactured PBG pedals too?

adam
16-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Black vinyl covered box with a red gauze cloth front, black panel with red knobs, Pitbull logo stencilled on the cloth perhaps?

Well, you just read my mind... exactly what I was thinking.

adam
16-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Hi Adam,

That little Classic 5 Amp looks cool, I scored myself a Legacy Valve Edition 5 Plus amp from one of my local music shops a few years ago for only $180.00 because it was faulty, it turned out to be easily fixable though, the thing is, it was normally retailing for about $299.00 if my memory serves me right, it was a 5 Watter, just like that Classic 5 in the pic you posted, so, I'd be prepared to pay around $300.00 at the most for a nice little 5 Watt Valve amp, others would probably disagree.

I think that Classic 5 amp would look cool in the Pitbull colours, but with the Tweed pattern.

Nice selection of pedals you have there too.

Hope the testing goes well mate.

Here's a thought, what about getting a little 5 Watt Valve amp custom-designed and manufactured for Pitbull Guitars?

Yep, that's what we are thinking, in PBG colours and even with our own Mods... an extra switch, another knob... options are endless.

and yes, under $300 is the range I'm looking at... $250 would be spot on.

adam
16-09-2016, 07:06 PM

Hey Andy, when we started it was going to be guitar kits and pedal kits... but we couldn't make the pedal kit thing happen. We just couldn't find a supplier we were confident in.

There have been a few sites here who have tried and I'm not sure they are around anymore.

I can just see so many technical issues with DIY Pedals that I'm reluctant to make the investment.

Feel free to convince me otherwise.

A small range of pedals, like GFS do, would sit nicely in our store.

FrankenWashie
16-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Well, you just read my mind... exactly what I was thinking.

Option on a 25 and 50 tube head done the same style for those wanting to build custom cabs?

It'd be cool if you could get red coloured speaker cones and chassis, so you could mount it on a red base, then have a perforated metal grill in black in front of it

DrNomis_44
16-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Yep, that's what we are thinking, in PBG colours and even with our own Mods... an extra switch, another knob... options are endless.

and yes, under $300 is the range I'm looking at... $250 would be spot on.

I agree, $250.00 sounds like the right price, considering that most vintage 5 Watt amps, such as a Fender Champ in good condition, are worth quite a bit of money these days, I've heard of them easily going for a couple of grand, which is surprising since they actually don't contain all that much in the way of electronic parts, I've been thinking of building myself a Fender Champ, I've got two of the valves I need for it, so I could end up building one next year.

dingobass
16-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Dont forget the low enders....
I would really like a small Bass amp for the workshop, its a pain in the bum having to go inside and crank up the Hartke just to test a Bass.

Dedman
16-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Why not do the amps as heads with DIY cabs?
But I agree on the black with red mesh.
I can see your point on DIY pedals, just too many things to go wrong. I was tempted to build some but after trying to assemble a Fuzz Doc partly built I had to admit I had reached the end of my skill level.

FrankenWashie
16-09-2016, 09:30 PM

Great minds as they say eh Dedman? An angled twin speaker cab is on my list of future projects. I don't actually own a head unit but I figure thats easily enough solved.

Dedman
16-09-2016, 09:33 PM
yup, I cut the head off my Vox. It sounds 200% better through the cab I built. Planning another cab with a Jensen speaker just for different sounds.

DrNomis_44
16-09-2016, 10:07 PM
Speaking of Speaker Cabs, one of my future projects is to build a 2 X 12 Speaker Cab for my Peavey Renown head, but since my Marshall amp is functioning correctly, the Speaker Cab project is not a high-priority one, but that's not to say that I've shelved it indefinitely though.

Brendan
16-09-2016, 10:23 PM
I'm going to go different - I think red vinyl with black mesh - like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/95/03/45/950345426edcbb4de0575644711a60d6.jpg...

That said, I do agree with DB - don't leave us low enders hanging :).

fender3x
17-09-2016, 01:15 AM
I love the idea of small heads. There are LOTS of great cab designs available, but I nice little valve head at a reasonable price--that's hard!

Fretworn
17-09-2016, 05:03 AM
Amps schmamps. I'm still drooling over the Fulltone and Mad Professor pedals.......

Dedman
17-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Hotone do a bunch of differently voiced 5 watt heads under $200, if you could do something similar and maybe offer a cab with a quality speaker to match and especially one for the bass players I think it would do well. Perhaps offer the speaker cab unfinished so a buyer could buy a guitar and amp kit and finish them off as a matching pair.

Pedal prices...Mooers are around $70 to $100, same form factor ( and packaging LOL )

keloooe
17-09-2016, 09:56 AM
I agree on the bass amps, that would be pretty nice! The colours I'd go with the red grill cloth and black tolex

fender3x
17-09-2016, 10:09 AM
I like DM's idea. Bill Fitzmaurice has some simple but high quality cab designs (XF and Simplex), that he has allowed one or two folks to package as kits. Supply the cut pieces to go with a nice little head...

The problem, of course, it just takes more power to get the same volume on low notes. 5W might not be enough even in a practice amp...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

FrankenWashie
17-09-2016, 01:39 PM
I like DM's idea. Bill Fitzmaurice has some simple but high quality cab designs (XF and Simplex), that he has allowed one or two folks to package as kits. Supply the cut pieces to go with a nice little head...

The problem, of course, it just takes more power to get the same volume on low notes. 5W might not be enough even in a practice amp...

Yep I have a set of his plans for the angled cab. That's what i intend to build.

stan
17-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Hey Andy, when we started it was going to be guitar kits and pedal kits... but we couldn't make the pedal kit thing happen. We just couldn't find a supplier we were confident in.

There have been a few sites here who have tried and I'm not sure they are around anymore.

I can just see so many technical issues with DIY Pedals that I'm reluctant to make the investment.

Feel free to convince me otherwise.

A small range of pedals, like GFS do, would sit nicely in our store.

Perhaps you could be a reseller of one of the smaller brands...

Aadamdun
17-09-2016, 04:30 PM
I can see your point on DIY pedals, just too many things to go wrong. I was tempted to build some but after trying to assemble a Fuzz Doc partly built I had to admit I had reached the end of my skill level.

Now your talking, great idea. I've been thinking about building my own 2x12 cab for a while now. I have a Vox ac4tvh and 112 cab but am looking for another head that has something different.

Nickosaurus
17-09-2016, 05:12 PM
I'd expect to pay between 250-300 for a small head. 5 Watts is plenty of power if it's a tube. All you get with more Watts is headroom. Definitely keen for a small bass amp.

Would love to hear some demos of these pedals and amps

adam
17-09-2016, 06:16 PM
The sample amp is currently with Adam (yet another Adam) at Strummers Guitars in Perth. He's inviting his customers to come in and test it.

He's got a short demo on his Facebook page already. https://www.facebook.com/adam.strummers?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Not sure if that works, if not, search Strummers Guitars on Facebook.

It sounded pretty good when I plugged my Tele into it this morning. And Adam liked it so much he wanted to buy it on the spot.

Hopefully we get some good input from his customers and amp techs on what, if anything, we can change to make it something special in the low watt small amp market. He's also going to ask for feedback on the colour combo (he wants to keep the tweed colour scheme... I don't).

I hear you all on the head + DIY Cab idea and think it's a great idea. If this amp works out, we will do it and offer both (Combo and Head only + plans for a DIY Cab).

Thanks for all your feedback.

stan
17-09-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm going to have to build speaker cabs - unloaded on ebay for a 1x12 they start at around $300 and go up from there - unloaded

adam
17-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Oh, and yes, apologies to our string-challenged folk, I will of course inquire about bass amps. Although I think you need size to move the necessary air? Or, is it true that 'size does not matter'?

stan
17-09-2016, 06:39 PM
link works fine, sound test sounds pretty good, but between camera phone and youtube compression it would be interesting to hear it live - but if the price is right then it's a winner

adam
17-09-2016, 06:42 PM
I'm going to have to build speaker cabs - unloaded on ebay for a 1x12 they start at around $300 and go up from there - unloaded

Stan, I'm putting you in charge of the PBG DIY Cab working group.

We're going to need finished builds (demos), with videos, plans, list of parts, etc. I'll do the rest.

Let me know how you go.

Seriously though... if anyone is keen, start a thread for DIY Cab builds and then we can work out what PBG needs to source and make available through our store. But we will need detailed plans, instructions, build vids and finished demos.

DrNomis_44
17-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Stan, I'm putting you in charge of the PBG DIY Cab working group.

We're going to need finished builds (demos), with videos, plans, list of parts, etc. I'll do the rest.

Let me know how you go.

Seriously though... if anyone is keen, start a thread for DIY Cab builds and then we can work out what PBG needs to source and make available through our store. But we will need detailed plans, instructions, build vids and finished demos.

Seeing as I'm going to be building a 2 X 12 Speaker Cab for my Peavey Renown Amp anyway, perhaps I could "get the ball rolling" on that DIY Cab Builds thread?, I've got a magazine with an article about building a DIY Speaker Cab that I can use as a basis for a Speaker Cab design, and I have a bit of an idea what's involved, so, I might just go ahead and take the initiative mate.

What forum section would be the most appropriate for the thread?, the non-PBG gear section?

wokkaboy
17-09-2016, 07:07 PM
sounds like a cool idea Ads and Stan, I'd be up for a DIY cabinet kit if one came available. Presume it would contain cabinet materials, speaker/s and electrics.
Doc be good if you can have some input with your knowledge and experience

stan
17-09-2016, 07:08 PM
ply, tolex, corner covers, precut speaker mount ply (10 and 12 inch options) , connectors, wires etc.

thing is a proper cab isnt just a box with speakers in it - materials, open or closed back, types of porting, volume of cab, all make a difference, even with the same speakers... it's like the tone debate all over again...

i'd suggest a copy of something tried and tested, possibly even have the panels pre covered, screw together, add corners, handles, put in speakers of choice and wiring - simple wiring diagram.

also - singles, twins, quads, bass, etc?
perhaps single and twin in bass and guitar - then you could join 2 for a quad...
you could use the same box and angle the speaker mounting panels for those who want that option, and vertical or horizontal orientation....
a few basic tweaks could make these quite versatile cabs

adam
17-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Seeing as I'm going to be building a 2 X 12 Speaker Cab for my Peavey Renown Amp anyway, perhaps I could "get the ball rolling" on that DIY Cab Builds thread?, I've got a magazine with an article about building a DIY Speaker Cab that I can use as a basis for a Speaker Cab design, and I have a bit of an idea what's involved, so, I might just go ahead and take the initiative mate.

What forum section would be the most appropriate for the thread?, the non-PBG gear section?

Go for it DrNomis and Stan, I'll set up a new sub Forum for Cabs.

DrNomis_44
17-09-2016, 07:10 PM
sounds like a cool idea Ads and Stan, I'd be up for a DIY cabinet kit if one came available. Presume it would contain cabinet materials, speaker/s and electrics.
Doc be good if you can have some input with your knowledge and experience

No worries mate, I'd be more than happy to offer whatever input and knowledge/experience I can with regards to DIY Speaker Cabs, so I'm definitely in on this.

stan
17-09-2016, 07:11 PM
sounds good Doc, I also have a pair of Celestion vintage 30s that need a home, so I'll be doing one soon as well...

DrNomis_44
17-09-2016, 07:11 PM

No worries and cheers for that.

wokkaboy
17-09-2016, 07:13 PM
what a cool idea team ! Look forward to this thread updates

stan
17-09-2016, 07:14 PM

cool work Ads

about the speakers - if they were supplied you'd want some nice ones - cheapies might not make for a good cab, and turn people off, definitely need an unloaded option,in fact it may even be preferable... however, decent speakers average about $200 and go up from there like celestion and emmerson etc...

DrNomis_44
17-09-2016, 07:14 PM
sounds good Doc, I also have a pair of Celestion vintage 30s that need a home, so I'll be doing one soon as well...

Those Celestion Vintage 30's will be ideal if you're interested in building a 2 X 12 Cab, will be interesting to hear a sound demo once it's finished, I'll have to do something about ordering those two 100 Watt Celestions I was interested in using in my 2 X 12 Cab soon.

@ Stan I agree, if you're going to build a Speaker Cab it definitely makes sense to use the best-quality speakers you can afford, since cheap speakers will sound cheap regardless of what materials you use to build the Cab, you can buy pre-cut sheets of 13mm, or 18mm ply from the Big Green Shed, I've checked the sheets of ply out and they do look like pretty good quality to my eyes, next time I stop by the big green shed I might note down some pricing for 13mm and 18mm ply, plus any other bits of materials I think could be useful in DIY Speaker cab building too.

adam
17-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Forum thread is set up... go for it!

adam
17-09-2016, 07:24 PM
I botched my first attempt, but here it is: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

stan
17-09-2016, 07:28 PM
great Ads!

13mm should be plenty, 18mm would be a very heavy cab, but may sound different...
i think open back is the way to go unless you like volume and porting calculations...

here is some advice from celestion themselves on making cabs - they dont seem to concerned over open back cab sizes...
http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/3/7/Build_Your_Own_Guitar_Cab/

dingobass
17-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Not really on topic, but how cool would a Lesley revolving speaker cab be?

DrNomis_44
17-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Not really on topic, but how cool would a Lesley revolving speaker cab be?

It's a Speaker Cab so I reckon it's still on topic anyway mate, and yes a DIY Leslie Speaker cab would in my opinion be very cool, and quite do-able.

DrNomis_44
17-09-2016, 08:14 PM
great Ads!

13mm should be plenty, 18mm would be a very heavy cab, but may sound different...
i think open back is the way to go unless you like volume and porting calculations...

here is some advice from celestion themselves on making cabs - they dont seem to concerned over open back cab sizes...
http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/3/7/Build_Your_Own_Guitar_Cab/

I measured the thickness of the MDF used to make the Cab for my Marshall MA100C amp, and it comes out at 15mm, so yeah, I think you're right about 13mm being plenty.

fender3x
17-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Yep I have a set of his plans for the angled cab. That's what i intend to build.
I have been thinking about that one... I have built three of Bill's other cabs for bass. They are great, but a ton of work goes into cutting the pieces. Light and loud. I have plywood in the garage to build 2 1x12 Jacks...waiting for me to get enough free time to cut them out.

Muzza
17-09-2016, 11:07 PM
I built a 5 watt single ended tube amp, modified for harmonica, about 4 years ago.

I took it to a jam at the local TAFE with Phil Emmanuel and he plugged a Gibson LP into it (even tho' he HATES Gibsons...) and said "Wow, can you make me a 50 watt version?"

Sorry Phil, it don't work like that...

I ended up selling that very popular amp for $600 and the next day, our harmonica playing mayor of the time chastised me for not selling it to HIM!

I made another to replace it and ended up selling it too, the head only for $450.

I've got another half finished one on the same bench as my half finished guitars, but I'm keeping this one. Unbelievably loud for 5 watts, and virtually no feedback, which is a big problem with harmonica amps.

I bought a modified 20 watt 5e3 combo from the same harmonica playing ex-mayor last year that is a feedback monster, and my intention is to combine the best parts of a 5e3, 5d3 and 5c3 for harmonica, and call it the 5cde3 'Frankenamp'.

Hopefully I'll have them both up and running by the end of the school holidays. (And get one of my guitar builds under way again...)

Muzza
17-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Dont forget the low enders....
I would really like a small Bass amp for the workshop, its a pain in the bum having to go inside and crank up the Hartke just to test a Bass.
I've got a MarkBass CMD121P - 500 watts of punchy grunt through a single 12" speaker and you can pick the thing up with your pinky.

http://www.basscentre.com.au/products/500-watt-combo-amp-12-inch-spkr-w-piezo

fender3x
17-09-2016, 11:23 PM
I have a Carvin that's light that way too...and even has a tube in the preamp. But the amp itself is solid state, class D. Most of these small tube amps will have an iron core transformer in the. We all love our SVTs until we have to carry it ;)

DrNomis_44
18-09-2016, 12:16 AM
It'll be interesting to see what we can come up with to cater for all the Bass players cause I play a bit of Bass too, the only Bass amp I have is an old Peavey TKO80 Non-EQ model, been doing a bit of work on it to get it working a bit better cause it has some residual distortion that you can hear in the background whenever you play a note, might just be some radio-frequency interference getting into the input.

fender3x
18-09-2016, 12:31 AM
I am a bass player, but if it were my site I'd start with guitar amp and cabs. The frequency range for guitars is higher and just does not take as much power to produce. So you can have a gigable small guitar amp, but a gigable low-power bass amp is an oxymoron. I loved the sound of my old Sunn tube amp, but my back loves my new class D, 6 lb Carvin.

Bass cabs are also tougher to design and execute...more like a hi-fi cab--and generally bigger or heavier or both if the are going to move much air. The old saw is still true that the perfect bass cab would be light, loud and small--but you can only actually get too out of the three.

Don't get me wrong--I'd love to see bass amps and cabs...it's just not the lowest hanging fruit IMHO

fender3x
18-09-2016, 12:33 AM
That should say "two out of three". Wish my bass playing were not so much like my typing ;-)

DrNomis_44
18-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Remember the old Roland Cube 60 Bass amp?, I remember playing a Bass guitar through one and it actually wasn't a bad amp at all, maybe something along the lines of one of those for the Bassists among us would be cool.

Muzza
18-09-2016, 09:17 AM
The old saw is still true that the perfect bass cab would be light, loud and small--but you can only actually get two out of the three.

Not necessarily. MarkBass seem to have nailed it. I've got the same amp in the link below and a 12" extension cab for bigger venues. 500 watt, light as a feather (figuratively) and... It pumps!

http://www.basscentre.com.au/products/500-watt-combo-amp-12-inch-spkr-w-piezo

fender3x
18-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Those are great rigs. And 2 1x12 is a great way to go. Still 2 1x12 is only a small

fender3x
18-09-2016, 10:54 AM
For bass players ;-)

Arzi
20-09-2016, 10:40 PM
How about the colors on the amp cab:

Tweed type of cloth/tolex but the colors black with red - black being the main color. Vox type of red mesh with black cloth underneath. Red plate under the knobs with black knobs and text. Black or red handle. Tolex would be more durable material.

If you want black and red, although that would not be vintage look but personal anyways.

adam
22-09-2016, 05:33 PM
UPDATE

Testing went well at Strummers Guitars in Perth. Generally, those that gave it a run loved it.

They also had their Techie look over the insides to confirm the "hand wired" claim, which it is.

They did comment that the soldering was "a little scrappy with solder joints etc but overall not bad."

There are plenty of tweaks we can request but the consensus is that is great the way it is.

So... we are going to proceed with Pit Bull Guitars branded Combos and Heads, for guitar only at this stage.

Our preference is for a Red Tolex cover, "Vintage" Black Mesh, Black Control Panel with White text and a Red Handle. I'm fighting the urge to have the numbers go to 11.

It will have a plastic Pit Bull Guitars badge on the front... position tbd.

What do you think?

EDIT: Ignore the sticker, I can't delete it.

stan
22-09-2016, 05:50 PM
sounds cool, like the red and black theme idea.

Dedman
22-09-2016, 06:13 PM
I think a name is needed for this amp.
I'm thinkin...PitBull Ankle Biter (as its 5w)

FrankenWashie
22-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Pitbull Guitars Ferocious Flea?

Nickosaurus
22-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Pit Bull Guitars 'The Pup'

DrNomis_44
23-09-2016, 04:10 AM
Those are all really good names for the new amp, I'll definitely be interested in buying one once they become available.

@ Adam That Tolex colour should look cool on the amp with the Pitbull Guitars logo.

stan
23-09-2016, 04:59 AM
I think a slightly darker red tolex...

PitBull Rage
pitbull Jam
pitbull Forum
pitbull Performer
pitbull Vamp (contraction of valve amp)
pitbull Red Dog
pitbull Top Dog
pitbull Little Dog

adam
23-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the name suggestions.

Yes, a darker Red Tolex would be preferable but I think we have limited choices. I will ask them.

Dan
23-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Surely there has to be a ridiculously high gain version called the Rabid Dog.

Brendan
23-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Why not have the numbers go to 11? :).

Andy40
23-09-2016, 11:22 AM
UPDATE

Testing went well at Strummers Guitars in Perth. Generally, those that gave it a run loved it.

They also had their Techie look over the insides to confirm the "hand wired" claim, which it is.

They did comment that the soldering was "a little scrappy with solder joints etc but overall not bad."

There are plenty of tweaks we can request but the consensus is that is great the way it is.

So... we are going to proceed with Pit Bull Guitars branded Combos and Heads, for guitar only at this stage.

Our preference is for a Red Tolex cover, "Vintage" Black Mesh, Black Control Panel with White text and a Red Handle. I'm fighting the urge to have the numbers go to 11.

It will have a plastic Pit Bull Guitars badge on the front... position tbd.

What do you think?

EDIT: Ignore the sticker, I can't delete it.

I literally cannot wait.......

stan
23-09-2016, 11:39 AM
11 is so yesterday - 12

FrankenWashie
23-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Go hardcore and make it run to 13!

HoneyBadgerJM
23-09-2016, 05:33 PM
The name for mine , inspired by that great American Indian joke 2 dogs; Five Dogs.

adam
23-09-2016, 07:03 PM
You might be waiting a while Andy40, it be at least Feb before we see these.

DrNomis_44
23-09-2016, 07:54 PM
11 is so yesterday - 12

Remember the Marshall JCM900?, it didn't go to 10, 11, or 12, it went all the way to 20.

Fretworn
24-09-2016, 05:23 AM
Remember the Marshall JCM900?, it didn't go to 10, 11, or 12, it went all the way to 20.
And they got "Nigel Tufnell" to launch them.

Andy40
24-09-2016, 06:37 AM
I hope i can last.....:cool:

a bit worried though....im only a bedroom bandit and I've heard that a 5W can destroy the neighbours ears?

DrNomis_44
24-09-2016, 06:39 AM
And they got "Nigel Tufnell" to launch them.

That's correct, maybe if we could design a 5 Watt Valve Amp that goes to 20, we could call name it after a breed of dog known for it's viscousness.

Muzza
24-09-2016, 08:47 AM
a bit worried though....im only a bedroom bandit and I've heard that a 5W can destroy the neighbours ears?
I only ever played my 5W harmonica amp at full volume ONCE at a party. After that song, the birthday boy came out and said the volume of the whole band had to come down a few notches.

This is was a party on a farm in the middle of nowhere out the back of the Sunshine Coast.

vh2580
24-09-2016, 11:03 AM
I hope i can last.....:cool:

Yep definitely get up there in volume, only ever had my 5W Blackstar to halfway and couldn't be in the same room, but the advantage is you can get awesome tone at really low volume.

kimball492
24-09-2016, 03:25 PM
How about the name The Atom or the Atom Amp, or the Mighty Atom for the Amp red tolex sounds great. Could there be two options to inc tweed option. Combined with one these great little microphone brackets you could leave it permanently setup to record.
http://www.ampclamps.com/sseries.html

Dedman
24-09-2016, 03:51 PM
my 5.1 is 20wRMS but its a wimpy 20w I think, as I have it on max quite often, both my guitar amps are 20w and 1/4 volume is plenty! wind the gain up and the volume has to go down.

DrNomis_44
24-09-2016, 04:20 PM
My 100 Watt Marshall MA100C is plenty loud enough for gigging, but is a bit heavy to lug around, I alleviated that a bit by installing four Casters on it so that I only have to pick it up when carrying it down a flight of stairs, I had a 5 Watt Legacy Valve amp but apparently it got stolen from the music department at Uni some time last year, the little 5 Watt Pitbull Guitar amp looks like it might be a good replacement for it, hence the reason why I'm very much interested in getting one once they become available.

Zandit75
25-09-2016, 11:32 AM
I guess I'm a bit too timid for Red Tolex. I was hoping maybe black carbon fibre look would be available with the red mesh.

andrewdosborne
26-09-2016, 12:57 PM
This valve amp is a great idea. I prefer small valve amps so I can crank them to the max to get desired tone - without upsetting the neighborhood..

A connection for a cabinet would be handy

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

dave.king1
26-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Pretty easy to stick an isolation jack in the back cover somewhere, that's what I did with the little Fender Mustang 1 and it sounds very grown up through a quad box.

Just make sure your external load is the same as the internal speaker

Tweaky
07-10-2016, 10:35 PM
What tube[s] does this amp use, a EL84/EL34/6L6/6V6 ?

May I suggest a cheap upgrade by putting at least plastic corner protectors on it, if not metal ones, as theses small light amps tend to get slung in the boot of a car, and pretty soon the vinyl covering can start coming away from the cabinet where the vinyl pieces meet.

Looks good, hard to tell about the sound from that Facebook video.

My main concern with these cheap small amps is how the HUM level is, I've nearly bought several different brands similar to this amp over the years, but when finally getting of my butt to go and actually find one and test it, the HUM level has been a deal killer