PDA

View Full Version : Tone Rider Bass Pickups.

ozzbike
10-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Recently I bought a Precision Bass pickup set from Pit Bull. These....

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/pickups/tonerider-trp1-precision-plus-pickup-set/

I have had them laying around as I did some other work. Finally I got of my bottttttttoooom and fitted them to a Bass. An old Magnum given to me...now called "The Resuce Bass." She was a neck and a body and that was it. I have added the Toneriders with the vintage wiring from PitBull, DB's treble bleed, orange drop capacitor, Gotoh tuners, Gotoh pots, high mass bridge.....some great plastic work from PabloPepper.....the man is gold.....and all other sundry bits laying around. She looks like crap but she has lived a life. A little fretwork and a day or two in a clamp and she actually plays.

This morning I have given the TRP-1 pickups a right royal thrashing......wow.....I have played (badly) everything from Metallica to Ben E KING and they are really great.

I have a number of other basses with Seymour Duncan P Bass pickups fitted.....some in a PBH or PBJ....and one as a straight Quarter Pounder SPB-3 set. The Quarter Pounders were the only ones to give the Tone Riders a little hurry up. I could just notice the difference on Benny and the Jets, and Wicked Game. Same sound if not better on ZZ top and Ac Dc....little short under low tunings on some Linkin Park.

But here is the difference......the Tone Riders come from Pit Bull. I have a point of reference in this country......I am forced by price to import my Seymour Duncans from the USA. I get free wiring harnesses and delivered from the USA for just over half Aussie prices....but still some orders can be up over $150-00.

The Tone Riders cost me $59-00....delivered to me....as part of a bigger order. (PBG may have a dollar value free shipping limit???)

Mmmmmmmm......if you have been thinking about giving the Tone Riders, of any persuasion, a run...there is no reason to hold back. Adam and DB are right there if you have questions. Best VALUE pickups I have found.

I have an ES-175 that will need a set of Rocksongs I believe....and an Ibanez RG that will need some more Tone Rider goodness.

Great pickups, great service, great price. Just do them a favour and put good electronics with them.

dingobass
10-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback Ozzie.
Just goes to show how much you pay for a name...

I have dropped Tone riders in customers guitars and they have all been impressed.
Best part is the look of disbelief when I tell them how much they cost :D

wokkaboy
10-09-2016, 10:35 AM
nice review Ozz

wow good to see you on the forum DB it's been a while !

dingobass
10-09-2016, 10:49 AM
I have been lurking in the background..

You guys seem to be on top of most issues that arise, takes a lot of pressure off me and I am greatful for that as I am not firing on all 8 ATM...

Brendan
10-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Ozz - totes agree about the ToneRiders - love my P Bass pickups!

ozzbike
10-09-2016, 03:49 PM
DB they are really great. I still can't believe the price.....as I said...the best value pickups. :)

Hobastard
15-01-2017, 12:27 PM
DB they are really great. I still can't believe the price.....as I said...the best value pickups. :)

I've been trolling through this forum for a few days (and nights) now, mostly researching a Bridge Pickup to add to a P Bass, this review and several other users' comments and recommendations have led me to order a Tone Rider Jazz Bridge Pickup for my project last night. I'm really looking forward to hearing it on the Job. It is very likely that I will replace the stock Precision P/U with one very soon after judging by these reviews.

Thanks to all.

wolfred
23-01-2017, 06:10 PM
I also love Toneriders. I've tried Srat, tele, P-90s, Alnico 2's and 4's in humbucker. All excellent tones and value. I would have replaced the generic pups in the basses too, but Tonerider don't make one like the disappointingly low output small buckers that came with my IB-5 or TB-5. I've ordered EMG's as one of the only similar size available.

VoxMechanica
10-04-2018, 11:28 AM
I finished my PB-4 kit, with ToneRider. some months ago but finally got 'round to having a couple of capable players play it. This was the first time I had heard the Black Dog, while being away from it - if you get my meaning. Not only were the serious players impressed :o, but I was really pleased with the P-Bass 'thump' coming from the ToneRiders. How do they do it for the price?
Ash body; Vintage wiring, DB's tone bleeder; vintage USA pots and a large paper in oil capacitor.

Sonic Mountain
10-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my bridge Tonerider for the TL build. Based on the rap they get on here I couldn't not.

wazkelly
10-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my bridge Tonerider for the TL build. Based on the rap they get on here I couldn't not.

You won't be disappointed.

Which one did you order?

Sonic Mountain
11-04-2018, 08:42 AM
I got the TRT1B Vintage Plus. Supposed to arrive today, but probably won't to get to fit it until next week as we are going away...

wazkelly
11-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Should sound nice.

I have a set of Hot Classics in my Swampcaster and they are great.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sonic Mountain
11-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Literally showed up as I posted :)

https://i.imgur.com/EXmHkJjl.jpg

Couple of other goodies as well - string height gauge is awesome! Just checked my current 'customer' Low e @ 1.75mm Hi e @ 1.5mm after new nut and bridge - zero buzz.

wazkelly
11-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Awesome stuff.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk