PDA

View Full Version : Wudtone burst/fade questions

filthyPierre
04-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Hi there,

Thinking about using Wudtone for the finish of my first kit, which will be a GR-1SF. Not opposed to using Dingotone, but the colours available from Wudtone suit my intended finish better.

I am planing to do a burst or fade finish on the body, with Azure Lagoon (inner) fading to Emerald Isles (outer). Back and sides will probably just be Emerald Isles.

So, has anyone attempted such a finish - not necessarily the same colours, but a wudtone burst/fade finish? How hard is it to blend the two colours? I guess the same would apply to Dingotone.

Also, neck finish? Anyone with wudtone experience? I'm thinking the vintage amber or vintage yellow. Not sure if they will go with the body, and if I should just do a colourless neck/headstock.

How difficult is it to do the top of the headstock in one colour and the sides and back in the neck finish? Again, I guess this would apply to Dingotone as well. Paint can be masked off, but stain that soaks in is probably going to treat masking tape with contempt.

Any suggestions or advice most welcome.

Cheer,

Pete

WeirdBits
04-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Wudtone 'burst how-to's (part 1):

http://youtu.be/lEefXGSPdao

I've found Wudtone on the neck seemed to take a long time before it felt 'right', a little too grippy for me for way too long. But, feels and looks good once it finally feels cured. With a bit of care you can do a colour on the face of the headstock and then clear/yellow/amber on the sides and neck. Doing the face first means you can sand off any seep under the tape off the sides etc. At least, that's how I've done it.

WeirdBits
04-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Wudtone 'burst how-to's (part 2):

http://youtu.be/9tW3cnaHlOQ

Personally, I'd go with Dingotone. Shoot DB an email if you need custon colours.

filthyPierre
05-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Wudtone 'burst how-to's (part 2):

Personally, I'd go with Dingotone. Shoot DB an email if you need custon colours.

Thanks Scott, pretty much how I figured it would be. I did email DB last week at the address I found on the PBG site. No answer so far.

How long did it take for your neck to cure? The Wudtone site says it's "slow curing", but no indication of how long. Obviously weather/locale are big factors there.

Cheers,

Pete

dingobass
06-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Hi Pete,
Did you email me from the link on my web page?
If so, my apologies... I have been having a lot of trouble with bat Crazy bastard Domains inability to resolve the issues with that link not sending emails to me...
Try db at pitbullguitars dot com
I know that one works.....

filthyPierre
07-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Hey DB,

Hi Pete,
Did you email me from the link on my web page?

It was one I found on PBG, dingobass at....

If so, my apologies... I have been having a lot of trouble with bat Crazy bastard Domains inability to resolve the issues with that link not sending emails to me...
Try db at pitbullguitars dot com
I know that one works.....

Have sent one to that address. I feel your pain, having just gone through a nightmare battle with a domain registrar for my cricket club's domain name renewal.

Cheers,

Pete