PDA

View Full Version : Switching necks

Chuck
04-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Hi folks,

First time poster (awaiting delivery of my first kit - a TL1 that I plan to modify a bit). I was wondering about the neck pocket and whether it's possible to fit a "Gibson-style" neck on a tele/strat body and vica versa? (And I am talking about the Pit Bull kits, as in could I put a neck from a PBG-N4EB neck for a LP on a ST1 body)

Cheers
Chuck

stan
04-08-2016, 07:17 AM
You probably could with a bit of stuffing about
but you would also need to consider if they are the same scale length, which would involve redrilling you bridge position , changing rear pickup position, which means routing etc
If it is the same, there is neck pocket shape, heal of neck thickness, height of fretboard from the top of the guitar etc...good luck, get some measurements and go from there, might be too much to get it right

Welcome and enjoy

wokkaboy
04-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Hi Chuck welcome to the forum. In short no. Gibson necks are 24.75" scale length and fender are 25.5". Also the end of heel shape is squarer on a Tele than a strat. You would need to move the Tele bridge pup cavity forward which on the TL1 kits are about 5mm too south already. Its not impossible but Will need heavy mods.

Chuck
04-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks folks, I was aware of the scale length issue and had figured a bridge move would be in order, but if there's more modding than that I won't waste precious brain space on this idea!!

wokkaboy
04-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Hi Chuck, no worries if you are cool with doing the routing mods then go for it. I would estimate the bridge would need to move toward the nut about 24mm (19mm scale length difference + 5mm correction) so I think the tele bridge plate will cover the existing bridge pup cavity.
The Gibson type bolt on necks available at PBG shop have only got dot fret markers as far as I know, only the set necks have trapezoid and block markers. I think the Gibson bolt on necks have a square heel so should be interchangeable.
What is the reason do you want a 3 + 3 tuner config on the headstock ?

Chuck
04-08-2016, 09:50 AM
What is the reason do you want a 3 + 3 tuner config on the headstock ?

It wasn't really a fully formed idea - it's more that I like the idea of creating things that are a bit different (I'll be doing some reshaping of the body on the TL1 kit when it arrives). It was more about knowing what options I might have. I've built a couple of guitars from scratch previously, so understand a little about the construction process - for me the kits here are something to use as a basis for a new idea, rather than faithfully following the assembly process. Of course it could also go horribly wrong!

wokkaboy
04-08-2016, 09:57 AM
sounds good Chuck. I agree I like to mix up ideas and build something a bit different. Look forward to your build diary and how the tele ends up. Please start a build diary when it arrives. The forum is always interested in everyone's builds and ask any questions you have.
Where are you planning to get the Gibson style bolt on neck from ?

stan
04-08-2016, 12:42 PM
one option Chuck is to see if Adam could get a Fender neck with a Gibson style or plain paddle headstock on it - that way you get good fitment and the headstock you want

Chuck
04-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Where are you planning to get the Gibson style bolt on neck from ?

I was looking at the ebony LP one from Pitbull - but as I said, there's no real plan just yet. Let's knock off the first kit - and yes, I'll certainly get a build diary going.

one option Chuck is to see if Adam could get a Fender neck with a Gibson style or plain paddle headstock on it - that way you get good fitment and the headstock you want

Good idea. When the time comes I'll certainly shoot Adam a note.

Chuck
29-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Sorry to drag this up again, but another question on switching necks: I'm looking at the JM-1 kit and wondered if a) I can get the rosewood neck switched out for a maple one, or b) if I had to order another neck, would the Pitbull ST or TL maple necks (on the "necks" page of the website fit the neck pocket on the JM-1?

wokkaboy
29-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Hi Chuck, I would be pretty confident that a ST-1 maple neck should fit in the JM-1 neck pocket as the heels are both rounded.
a TL neck is squarer and would need re-shaping. The scale length should be the same 25.5 inches.

Flick an email to Adam and I would say he should be able to do a JM-1 kit with a maple neck

Dedman
29-08-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure they do, you'd have to ask Adam to be dure. I got a Ebony neck for my Jr-1 and it fitted fine.

pablopepper
29-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Isn't that exactly what Zeromick did with his mash ups?

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4071

wokkaboy
29-08-2016, 11:22 AM
spot on Pabs, good memory buddy !

Chuck
29-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Cheers guys, and that build from Zeromick is somewhat similar to what I'm looking at - with a bit of a twist!

adam
29-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Hi Chuck, just sent you an email o this.

For everyone else:

I just checked an ST-1 Neck in a JM-1 body and it does indeed match.

I couldn’t actually insert it without forcing, but that is consistent with the factory making the heels slightly oversized so there is no more ‘loose neck syndrome’. Will only need a quick sand on the sides to get it to sit snugly.

stan
29-08-2016, 05:05 PM
nice to know