PDA

View Full Version : Weird 3 way switch issue

sbkiwi
17-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Hi guys, there's something strange going on with the 3 way switch. If I put it on the middle selection (both pick ups activated) and turn the neck pickup volume down I don't get any sound coming out from the bridge pickups, however if I change the switch to the bridge pickup selection, I get sound out of them...therefore the bridge pickups are wired up correctly, they're just not working when both pick ups are selected on the 3 way switch. Does anyone have any ideas or have I messed something up?!

Thanks,
Steve

Dedman
17-07-2016, 12:58 PM
do you have everything earthed properly? I had that issue and when I ran a earth from the top of the tone pot to the top of the volume pot everything worked right

WeirdBits
17-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Is it just in the middle position with one (either) volume turned down that you get no sound? In the neck and bridge positions do the respective pickups work correctly? The standard LP style wiring has linked volumes, that is when in the middle position turning down either volume with mute all sound. This is normal and expected behavior.

If you want independent volumes, like on a jazz bass, where you can turn down either volume without muting both, it is possible but it will alter the sound slightly due to the different way the volumes interact.

Or am I misreading your issue?