PDA

View Full Version : Matte black finish...what next?

sbkiwi
14-07-2016, 04:08 AM
To the guitar building guru's out there, I'm in the process of laying down the final clear satin acrylic coats over my matte black finish on FB-1. Having never done this before, I'm just hoping you can help me finish this sucker.

How many coats of clear should I use? Should I wet sand? So far it's coming up pretty nicely, I don't want to give it a shine or anything so I'm reluctant to "buff" it too much!

Also, any tips about what happens next would be appreciated. I.e. fit the neck next?

Thanks for your help

Andy40
25-07-2016, 03:46 AM
sbkiwi,

I am surprised that no one got back to you on this one. Sorry mate, I am not the droid you are looking for.

Anyone help this guy out?

pablopepper
25-07-2016, 06:49 AM
The beauty of a satin finish is after it's cured, you are done. No extra sanding, or buffing is required (it'll just make it shiny again). Just make sure that last coat of paint goes down perfect and you are sweet.

stan
25-07-2016, 12:52 PM
How many coats of clear are on it? About 2-3 should be fine, if you have done more, then fine, but make sure all is well cured.
Once it has cured, just leave it if it looks good.
You don't buff or polish at all, no wet sanding either or you will loose the satin look.
Leave at least a week to cure after the final coat and you should be good to fit it up.

The disadvantage of satin is the last coat has to be flawless, since you don't /can't fix it with buffing - it will be a respray or a good patch fix

You could finish the neck then fit it, or fit it then finish - personally i'd finish it first - easier to handle.

Then you are good to glue in a set neck , or as in the case of the FB, bolt it on.
If it was a set neck guitar, make especially sure it is cured, or you will leave an impression in the paint from the clamps, even if you use clamping cauls.

then add the electrickery and behold, a guitar...