PDA

View Full Version : Guitar cases

Zandit75
10-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Where does everyone go for decent guitar cases these days?
Ebay? Local Music Shop? Elsewhere?

Just spent 5mins looking through Ebay, and there seems to be plenty in the $70-100 range of soft and hard cases. Anyone tried these cases, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Also, will an LP style guitar fit inside a case built for Tele's, Strat's and Super Strat's?

Dedman
10-07-2016, 04:39 PM
I only have one regular hard case and that one is from Pitbull, it seems fine to me. The one that I got with my Gretsch looks like it came out of the same factory

Zandit75
10-07-2016, 04:46 PM
I didn't even realize the store carried cases. I'll go look right now!

Zandit75
10-07-2016, 04:57 PM
They look identical to what I was looking at on Ebay.
Which one would be better for an LP?

Dedman
10-07-2016, 06:26 PM
just the standard one I think, I'll try my Jnr in it tomorrow, but my Tele fits fine

cork sniffer
10-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Where does everyone go for decent guitar cases these days?
Ebay? Local Music Shop? Elsewhere?

Just spent 5mins looking through Ebay, and there seems to be plenty in the $70-100 range of soft and hard cases. Anyone tried these cases, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Also, will an LP style guitar fit inside a case built for Tele's, Strat's and Super Strat's?

I've built a relationship with my local music shop so have been buying from them.
My Strats and Tele all live in matched Fender supplied hard cases, very good quality.
Ibanez Les Paul is just too wide to fit into the factory Strat case, local shop supplied a similar looking no-name version (about $100).

Link to no-name version. Don't know the supplier.
http://www.futuremusic.com.au/products/1489/260

vh2580
10-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Used a fair few pit bull cases and lps fit easily into the standard case

Zandit75
11-07-2016, 04:01 AM
Thanks Guys, appreciate the info!

wazkelly
11-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Depends on whether you want a rectangle or a shape that follows the outline of the guitar which is standard with Epiphone or Gibson cases for a LP as that tends to stop them slopping around inside if there is too much room to move. Bit more of a pain for storage as rectangular cases stack much better.

Just bought a couple off eBay recently and one was the moulded plastic ABS type for my Tele as they are quite light and another just a regular tolex/vinyl top for my J Bass as the ABS ones were too expensive for that size and shape. Spent $183 for the pair and OK value for mostly home use but maybe the latches are not strong enough for regular use if gigging several times a week.

Muzza
12-07-2016, 09:58 AM
I recently bought a Stingray5 and the MusicMan case was pretty much trashed.

So so I got one of these from my local. About $90.

Its a SEMI hard case. Plenty enough protection for flying and only half the weight of a similar sized hard case.

There's more 'useable' storage space in this one compared to the original. I can fit in a compact guitar stand, thick padded leather strap, my wireless system, compressor and Polytune tuner.

Theres also a generously sized side packet for cables, laptop, iPad, etc... I'm extremely happy with it and I don't think I'll follow through with my planned Rosie's of the original.

pablopepper
12-07-2016, 10:12 AM
I have one of those semi hard cases for my Ovation acoustic. I was really unsure of how it would go, extremely limited choices for a bowl back, but it is great. Not as bulky or heavy as a hard case and it will take a fair bit of abuse.

keloooe
12-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Its a SEMI hard case. Plenty enough protection for flying and only half the weight of a similar sized hard case.

There's more 'useable' storage space in this one compared to the original. I can fit in a compact guitar stand, thick padded leather strap, my wireless system, compressor and Polytune tuner.

Theres also a generously sized side packet for cables, laptop, iPad, etc... I'm extremely happy with it and I don't think I'll follow through with my planned Rosie's of the original.

Any links? I need something with plenty of storage for a portable bass gigging setup...

Zandit75
13-07-2016, 03:47 PM

Hey Muzza, thanks for sharing these pictures. Can you tell me how flexible these cases are?
I found this one (https://on-stage.com/specsheets/GPCE5550.pdf) at Allans Music in Melbourne for only $56 which is the same brand as the one you have, but I'm not sure if the dimensions are the same.
According to the official measurements from On-Stage, the internal width is 32cm. I just measured the width of the LP body, and it measures 33cm. Would there be enough give in the walls to accommodate this, or is it too firm?
Thanks in advance.

stan
13-07-2016, 05:14 PM
similar semi hard case - $75 of the 'bay, posted from Australia

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electric-Guitar-Hard-Case-Plush-Liined-High-Density-Foam-Shell-Nylon-Outer-/191606429922?hash=item2c9ca218e2:g:CSQAAOSw9N1VhDN N

http://www.drumpower.com.au/images/productslarge/98c83a02-4e1c-42e3-bbe9-37aab7df9dc8_4.jpg

http://www.drumpower.com.au/images/productslarge/98c83a02-4e1c-42e3-bbe9-37aab7df9dc8_1.jpg

Muzza
13-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Hi Zandit. That's the same brand, but it's a different case. The 'pocket' on mine is significantly larger. The one you linked to looks like you'd be lucky to get a laptop in there. I just had a good look around the On-Stage website and can't find mine.

With the model I have, the pocket is attached to the side, not integral like that one.

The foam is pretty dense & rigid. In my opinion, I reckon it would actually offer better protection than the standard musicman case.

Sorry guys, all I can suggest is you contact the store I bought mine from;

http://www.mooloolabamusic.com.au

They'd sell you one, but postage would probably hurt.

Send the photo of mine to Allan's and ask if they can get a hold of one for you.

Good luck. It's worth the hassle. I'm thinking of getting more of them for my other guitars.

Muzza
13-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Here's a clearer photo of the external pocket in (slightly) better light. Show this to your local guitar shop and see what they can find.

Muzza
13-07-2016, 06:55 PM
These are the modifications/improvements I'm considering on an already impressive case. The inner foam liner is screwed to an internal flap and looks like I'll be able to remove it and do a lot of my alterations from behind the 'plush' liner.

Red;
relocate the 'wall' from the storage well toward the lower bout. (yes, I'll have to modify the 'lid' to match)

Yellow;
remove some material from above both storage wells. It's about 2" thick and removing some will effectively double the depth of the well.

Blue;
with the foam I removed from the wells, I'll create some walls either side of the headstock. There's tons of room here too."

I just need to find some similar 'plush' (read 'cheap') black material from my local fabric shop to cover the alterations.

I'll keep you informed on my progress if I decide to go ahead.

Muzza
13-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Once its loaded up with iPad, pedals, cables, stand, strap, etc... it's probably gonna be too heavy for the pathetic shoulder strap they include, so I'd suggest using stronger straps from other, better luggage.

I use the shoulder strap from my padded surfboard bag.

Zandit75
13-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Awesome response Muzzy, thank you very much!
I can't find your particular case anywhere either. I've sent off an email to your local shop to ask if they can check out the internal comfort for an LP style guitar. Unfortunately, as you said, with freight, I could buy two of the ones advertised at Allans music in Melbourne.
Thanks again,

Muzza
13-07-2016, 07:57 PM
I guess it just depends on how important the larger side pocket is to you. For me, it's vital. I've got an old guitar shaped gig bag with a similar pocket on the one you linked to, and it's as good as useless. Takes an iPad and it's full. I'll be selling it with my Yamaha bass now that I've got my beloved Stingray5.

Again, I strongly suggest you email my photos to Allan's Music. They might be able to get a hold of one.

Zandit75
13-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks Muz, I don't carry a heap of gear with me, if it doesn't fit inside the case, then it doesn't travel!
I'd be interested in some information on your fold away stand too, if you have any.
Thanks again.

Muzza
13-07-2016, 11:22 PM
I doubt you'd find one nowadays. I've had it for about 30 years. It was made by 'Kaman', the company that made Ovation guitars before the bean-counters carved it up.

Maybe I should try making them...