PDA

View Full Version : Noob Paint and finish question

Ausar
10-07-2016, 10:12 AM
I am new to the community and have a couple of paint questions.

1. I have a Maple neck and fretboard and have decided to use Tru Oil on the neck and Dingo Wax on the fretboard. Is this ok or could I use Tru Oil on the fretboard as well?

2. With painting the body I have decided to do a distressed look, white colour. Do I need to use a primer? And do I just use a rattle can? Acryilic or enamel?

Andy40
10-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Hi Ausar,

Welcome. In regards to your first question.

Nothing wring with tru oil on the neck and dingowax on the fret board. I would not use Tru oil on the fret board.

This is what a Dingowaxxxed maple fretboard looks like....

I am not the best person to answer question 2 as I have only painted one guitar and it was with Nitro

wokkaboy
10-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Hey Ausar, as Andy said stick to tru oil on the neck and Dingowax or a natural oil on the fingerboard. With the body depends how distressed you want the look. Usually a primer and grain fill is recommended. What kit have you got in mind ? Different timbers need different treatments. Most builders have got good results using rattle cans but that is dependant on your location in terms of painting comditions

Ausar
11-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your replies. My kit is a st-1, ash body, maple neck and fretboard. Im in victoria so the drying time will be long this time of year I think. I hope to start a build thread once I get a few more things together.