PDA

View Full Version : Typical Winter's Day on the Sunshine Coast

wazkelly
03-07-2016, 03:43 PM
They say a picture paints 1,000 words.........
After waking to 5 degrees C at 6.30am today, our coldest morning so far this winter, to experiencing 21 degrees C at 2:45pm at Mooloolaba Beach this afternoon. Been like this for most of the last week.

Have to apologise about the lack of any swell as it was only 0.6m with water temp of 21 degrees C also. Otherwise perfect day at the beach.

Dedman
03-07-2016, 06:21 PM
yea, it was glorious weekend here on the GC too Waz, chilly over night and summer like in the day. Perfect

andrewdosborne
03-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Looks sensational Waz nice beach and especially the weather in winter. My niece used to call this place bullbar when she was young - we still call it that now. A few more weeks of cold down south to endure then FNQ calls for us...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wazkelly
03-07-2016, 09:17 PM
A few more weeks of cold down south to endure then FNQ calls for us...

Hi Ponch, whereabouts in FNQ are you heading for? Best time of year for Whitsundays.

andrewdosborne
04-07-2016, 04:45 AM
Ah spot on, thats where we're heading (hamo) we usually head into Cairns but something different this time

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Zandit75
04-07-2016, 07:48 AM
I kind of hate you all right now......:p

cork sniffer
04-07-2016, 09:48 AM
I kind of hate you all right now......:p

Give me Penguin in summer compared with FNQ.
On the other hand just now FNQ looks good.
Oh! to have a summer and winter house and the lack of commitments keeping one nailed to the spot.

Zandit75
04-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Yeah, Tassie is pretty good during the summer, just make sure you bring the sunscreen!
You'll burn to a crisp here on a 20deg C day!!
The Ozone layer is on the mend, but it's still got a fair way to go!

wazkelly
04-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Is there any truth in the rumor that Tasmanians don't know how to swim because the water is always too cold?

wazkelly
04-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Give me Penguin in summer compared with FNQ.
On the other hand just now FNQ looks good.
Oh! to have a summer and winter house and the lack of commitments keeping one nailed to the spot.

Remember going to Pebbly Beach early in October 35 or more years ago and the water was that cold it would not have surprised any of us to see a penguin or maybe even an iceberg. It is a bit north of Batemans Bay and wonder how close that might be to where you live?

cork sniffer
04-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Remember going to Pebbly Beach early in October 35 or more years ago and the water was that cold it would not have surprised any of us to see a penguin or maybe even an iceberg. It is a bit north of Batemans Bay and wonder how close that might be to where you live?

I'm a little north of "The Bay".
Between Sydney and Bega the conditions are very similar, possibly seasons lag a week or two further south.
Back in 1972 when national service finished I hit the road on my trusty CB750 and spent a winter in FNQ, loved it!
Wife and I have been to Tas twice and were planning on moving full time until the grand-kids started arriving.
Bottom line ... you acclimatize as long as you have a positive attitude, and I'm positive FNQ is too hot in summer and Tas is too cold in winter :-)

Zandit75
04-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Is there any truth in the rumor that Tasmanians don't know how to swim because the water is always too cold?

Look out, we have a comedian here!!! :p

I can swim, but don't expect a quick rescue if you are drowning, as I might end up joining you on the bottom!!

wazkelly
07-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Look out, we have a comedian here!!! :p

I can swim, but don't expect a quick rescue if you are drowning, as I might end up joining you on the bottom!!

From hypothermia no doubt as in those chilly waters I seem to remember you have no more than 3 minutes survival time before blacking out.

Andy40
08-07-2016, 04:40 AM
From hypothermia no doubt as in those chilly waters I seem to remember you have no more than 3 minutes survival time before blacking out.

I haven't surfed Tasssie waters but I spent a year surfing around the south Island of New Zealand when I lived in Christchurch. I had a 3/2 wetsuit (should have had a 5/4), hooded rashie, gloves and booties! only my face was exposed and it was like getting punched in the face everytime I duck dived a wave!!:(

Don't I look like sharkbait!!!:eek:

Dedman
08-07-2016, 07:47 AM
The Southport Broadwater this morning on my morning ride :)

Zandit75
08-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Summer is fine, you definitely don't go swimming during Winter, that's just idiotic!

wazkelly
08-07-2016, 08:17 PM
I haven't surfed Tasssie waters but I spent a year surfing around the south Island of New Zealand when I lived in Christchurch. I had a 3/2 wetsuit (should have had a 5/4), hooded rashie, gloves and booties! only my face was exposed and it was like getting punched in the face everytime I duck dived a wave!!:(

Don't I look like sharkbait!!!:eek:
Reminds me of when we took our kids over there sept/oct 2002 on a ski trip and toured around the South Island too. The missus had booked a few things online and one was a swim with the seals experience at Kaikoura, a bit north of Christchurch. As we were driving up there was snow almost down to the ocean waterline in many places so it looked cold. The Kiwi boat operator assured us sharks weren't a problem as proceeded we suited up in the thickest rubber they had and looked just like you in that photo. Water temp was supposed to be 12 degrees C and we only lasted 20 minutes before hopping out. Definitely the coldest I have ever been anywhere. A few months after coming back the youngest fella had to do a marine science assignment and part of his research discovered that just off Kaikoura has some of the largest populations of man eating sharks in the southern hemisphere. So much the for the load of BS the Kiwi tour operator fed us and to make things worse the visibility was barely 2 meters, almost ideal conditions to be eaten. At least around Margaret River the water is very clear so you should at least see them coming before the impact.

wazkelly
08-07-2016, 08:24 PM
The Southport Broadwater this morning on my morning ride :)
Nice Dedman. Lived at Southport for part of 1986 and those photos seem to look more like the northern Labrador end? Don't go down there much these days so not too sure where the shots were taken?

Dedman
08-07-2016, 10:13 PM
right at the end of Nerang st Southport Waz. It's changed a lot since the 80's the whole "broadwater parklands" weren't there, it was a bitumen car park, for once council got it right (except you now have to park in the shopping centre and pay)

Andy40
09-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Love Kaikoura Waz. Probably one of the better surf spots....yeah I was worried about the sharks.

wazkelly
14-07-2016, 08:36 PM
right at the end of Nerang st Southport Waz. It's changed a lot since the 80's the whole "broadwater parklands" weren't there, it was a bitumen car park, for once council got it right (except you now have to park in the shopping centre and pay)

Doesn't look anything like what I used to see out of my office window in Marine Parade back in 1986. Mind you, most of that was bulldozed to make way for the shopping centre upgrade.

Certainly looks much better nowadays.