PDA

View Full Version : August Guitar of the Month Competition (for Guitars and Basses finished in July 2016)

adam
02-07-2016, 08:23 AM
August 2016 GOTM

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars August 2016 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished in (or before) July 2016

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adamboyle (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for August closes 31 July 2016

andrewdosborne
12-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Ok, lets get this month rolling. Its all about the bass no treble.

JBA-4, de-fretted with CA glue fretboard finish. Neck finish Dingotone clear, body FW Jarrah & wipe on satin poly. Frosted pickguard, Tonerider Jazz Bass pups, Bourne mini pots, cloth wiring, Switchcraft jack plug, orange drop cap, Fender strap knobs, Goto bridge, upgraded screws all-round, bleached bone nut, Ernie Ball cobalt flatwounds. I was going to recess the bridge but a small neck shim has done the job nicely.

andrewdosborne
12-07-2016, 08:14 PM
And a few more..

In the light

And the fretboard..

pablopepper
13-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Hawt...:D~

vh2580
13-07-2016, 06:42 AM
noice andrew, Love the clear pickguard highlighting that nice grain

FrankenWashie
13-07-2016, 09:33 AM
mmmm, money. Nice work Andrew!

stan
13-07-2016, 12:14 PM
great bass Andrew, we've hit the ground running this month...

andrewdosborne
13-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Cheers everyone. Glad to finally finish this! Now to the next project...

wokkaboy
13-07-2016, 06:40 PM
its a stunner Ponch, you set the bar nice and high for this month. Makes me want to build a fretless ash jazzy now !

You must be a fretless convert now ?

andrewdosborne
13-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Cheers Woks. Go for it! And love the fretless

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Tekrytor
17-07-2016, 11:02 AM
It's a beauty, Andrew! Love the look of wood you got!

Tekrytor
17-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Howdy, here's my entry for July 2016, I made my "Frippin'rocker" based on the RC-1M kit.

I made the pickguard and trussrod cover from acrylic sheet with a glitter foil on the pickguard and adhesive letters from Michael's craft stores on the trussrod cover. Then I coated the trussrod cover in resin to protect the lettering. The name is a tip of the hat to Robert Fripp and the BachenRicker guitar company, who are both yuge in my book. I know Mr Fripp plays Les Pauls, but I just like the way the name worked out.

The pickups are NY-IIIs from GuitarFetish.Com which had to be cut and filed to fit the humbucker cavities. I wanted it to look and sound like a Ricky and these were close. They sound pretty good.

The stain is espresso color. The mahogany back took it much better than the basswood front, which I fought with to get smooth. The peghead and neck were also very easy to work with the stain. I used Danish oil and left it matt for a satin finish.

Big thanks to Adam for making this nice kit available and to the other builders here for posting inspiration and tips, especially the other RC-1 builders!

Oh yeah. It also has the mini-Grover upgrade and copper foil in the cavity, both from PitBull. It stays tuned really well. I may add a twang bar eventually.

It was great fun to build and plays great! Very happy customer, it grows on me every time I pick it up.

wokkaboy
17-07-2016, 03:15 PM
great build Tekrytor, nice stain colour and the headstock cover looks great, well done

andrewdosborne
25-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Nice RC Tekrytor well executed and love the colour scheme

stan
25-07-2016, 12:57 PM
very nice, natural looking RC, Tekrytor, good job

Mulldoe
29-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone,
Time for another entry, here is my "Battle Axe". It is a custom 24fret EX-1 with sharktooth inlay and floating trem. I finished it in kind of a hammered/textured paint job with some norse symbols (body- Odin triskelion and truss rod cover- troll cross) and runes (translates to "Iron Vengeance". I also chucked an Entwistle X3 in for the bridge pickup and fit a trem toolkit to the back of the headstock. It was shipped with the wrong colour neck nut and I am waiting on the correct one but other than that it's all good to go. Anyway here's the pic's.

Alright, cheers for reading.

Mulldoe

Dedman
29-07-2016, 09:16 PM
That finish is extremely hard wearing, I've done all the desk tops in my office with it. Never thought of doing a guitar with it, but it looks great!

DrNomis_44
30-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Hi everyone,
Time for another entry, here is my "Battle Axe". It is a custom 24fret EX-1 with sharktooth inlay and floating trem. I finished it in kind of a hammered/textured paint job with some norse symbols (body- Odin triskelion and truss rod cover- troll cross) and runes. I also chucked an Entwistle X3 in for the bridge pickup and fit a trem toolkit to the back of the headstock. It was shipped with the wrong colour neck nut and I am waiting on the correct one but other than that it's all good to go. Anyway here's the pic's.

Alright, cheers for reading.

Mulldoe

That guitar looks wicked, you should record a demo so we can hear what it sounds like.

Fretworn
30-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Very Metal \m/ >.< \m/

AndrewA
30-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi, here is my PBG-1. Not a very original name, but definitely an original guitar.
From the original kit, the edges have been rounded and a very slight belly curve and forearm cut added.
The bone nut I carved from an old dogs bone after reading that DB did this once.
Pickups changed for Entwhistle Dark Star NDs. Volume and tone pots are CTS switches, each splitting a pickup. The knobs are changed for knurled black knobs that are easier to pull on for the switches.
The colour is Dingotone Black Stump burst over ebony Timbermate grain pop, Dingotone natural neck.
The headstock logo is black cut-vinyl under DT on the headstock, and over DT on the body (in case I feel like taking it off some time in the future).
... Everything else is standard :)

AndrewA
30-07-2016, 09:17 AM

stan
30-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Mulldoe, that hammered finish look amazing, great to see something different

AndrewA, very cool build, and a bit off beat, an interesting and cool axe for sure

wokkaboy
30-07-2016, 10:43 AM
wow two awesome late month entries. Mulldoe the custom EX-1 looks unreal love the sharktooth fret markers.
@ Andrew well done on the PBG-1 its come up very nice with the logo you've applied and the sound demo sounded cool !

AndrewA
30-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks Stan and Wokka

andrewdosborne
30-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Hi, here is my PBG-1. Not a very original name, but definitely an original guitar.
From the original kit, the edges have been rounded and a very slight belly curve and forearm cut added.
The bone nut I carved from an old dogs bone after reading that DB did this once.
Pickups changed for Entwhistle Dark Star NDs. Volume and tone pots are CTS switches, each splitting a pickup. The knobs are changed for knurled black knobs that are easier to pull on for the switches.
The colour is Dingotone Black Stump burst over ebony Timbermate grain pop, Dingotone natural neck.
The headstock logo is black cut-vinyl under DT on the headstock, and over DT on the body (in case I feel like taking it off some time in the future).
... Everything else is standard :)
Nice. I especially like the motif on the front

andrewdosborne
30-07-2016, 12:45 PM
That finish is extremely hard wearing, I've done all the desk tops in my office with it. Never thought of doing a guitar with it, but it looks great!
Agree this finish has come up well nice looking EX-1

Mulldoe
30-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Cheers everyone, I forgot to mention in my submission that the runes translate to "iron vengeance". Congrats to all the other entrants, these guitars all look great.

brewhook
31-07-2016, 04:36 AM
Here's my completed ES-3. All stock at the moment, but I will be upgrading to a set of P-90s and will be swapping out the tuners as well. Decided it looked better without the pickguard and truss rod cover

stan
31-07-2016, 05:24 PM
nice ES brewhook, love the headstock detail

adam
01-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks to the 5 entrants, yet another impressive field of awesome builds. I'll get the Judging Panel on the job and hopefully have the results up by the end of the week. GOTM September open shortly.

adam
07-08-2016, 10:17 AM
The results are in...

Judges' comments in submission order:

Andrews JBA-4.
A lot of work gone in here and all of it tastefully executed. The kind of thing that could make me pick up a bass again 0.0 The face of the headstock kinda sticks out, maybe it would have been nicer stained to match the body but I'm only saying that because I can't find anything else negative to say.

Nicely understated lets the timber do the talking.

Ponch you really made the most out of the lovely ash grain and some very tasty upgrades this is a stunner Jazzy. Love the clear frosted pickguard and bonus point for the fretless conversion.

Sweet! Love how the grain has popped and how it has a simple but modern look.

Gorgeous bass. Natural wood tones and fretless – the clear pickguard was an excellent choice.

Tekrytor's RC-1M
I like the natural timber look on this and that it's not mirror glossy really suits grain, that, combined with the pup upgrade, really gives it that 'geetar whats been played in every honky tonk feel, kinda like a comfy well-worn leather jacket. While I can appreciate the work gone into the pick guard and head stock logo I think that are bit too bling for the rest of the guitar but then maybe if it had been played in every honky tonk it would deserve a bit of glitz.

I like this guitar, nicely personalised.

A classic Ricky build with some nice personal touches and nice upgrades, sure this is a fun axe to play well done. Love the glittery letters on the headstock cover. Nice colour scheme the brown and black work really well on this model kit.

Nice! The personal elements make this one look special.

Worn ash really suits the RC-1M and I love the contrasting pickups. Nice.

Mulldoes EX-1
I think you've captured metal in just the right form. The finish ....hammered metal...I mean.. perfect body shape for it, the runes and graphics are in good proportion and don't take away from the simplicity. Great choice of mods.

Industrial hardcore workhorse. Great work.

Love the modifications to this EX build. The shark tooth inlays, floating tremolo make this axe look like a real shredder. Not sure if you have done the tremolo routing but it looks nice and clean. Would have liked to see 2 matching Entwistle pickups but maybe this is an upgrade for the future. The paint colour and hammered/textured look not something I'm a big fan of but that's all personal preferences. To me it looks like a primer colour!

I think Battle Axe is a good call for this guitar - the textured paint job give it a real iron look and great effect.

Floyd rose EX-1 – yes please. This thing is made for shredding. It looks the part next to the Marshall stack!

AndrewA's PBG-1
A brave kit to take on with not many built and no precedence but man you nailed. Sneaky keeping a clear shot of the front till the last moment. Good upgrades and mods and the finish really suits the style. An attention grabber for sure.

Well-constructed and finished.

Good to see a PBG-1 entered there aren't enough of these kits built. Well executed stain the black stump suits this shape well and the logos are a nice personal touch. Some nice upgrades too. If it sounds as good as it looks you have a very cool axe !

Very effective and great outcome. I love how the body looks and think the neck complements it.

This build was great to follow and it’s awesome to see an uncommon kit. You’ve really made it a contender against the usual favourites. Love the finish on this one.

Brewhook's ES-3
Firstly , your video diary was great. You seemed to breeze through the build without too many problems( especially considering the hollow bodies aren't the easiest build) and ended up with a great looking guitar. Nice attention to detail.

Nice work, good choice of colour.

Nice looking build the brown and deep red work pretty well together. Some lovely grain on the back. Small thing you forgot to remove the white stickers off the back of the tuners. You also must have spent some time editing the videos were entertaining. Not sure if the speed dial knobs suit this style of axe. Overall, well done.

Nice job, love the simplicity. Only suggestion would be a small sharp edge along the binding on the "f holes" to clean off the red.

Classic build and classic finish. Hard to fault!

Runner up this Month is AndrewA's PBG-1

And the winner of our Pit Bull Guitars August 2016 Guitar of the Month is a Bass...

Andrew's JBA-4

Congratulations to both Andrews and the other 3 entrants this month, it was very tight again. And thank you to our esteemed Judging Panel.

Onwards to September!

wokkaboy
07-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Congratulations Ponch your first GOTM and a deserved one. Congrats to Andrew for runner up. There wasn't much between the scores for all 5 entries. Well done all other entrants. Keep up the good work all you forumites !

Dedman
07-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Well Done to all extra well done to Ponch and Andrew!

AndrewA
07-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Congratulations Andrew, a great build that deserves to win. Well done to the other entrants, you should all be proud of what you have built.

andrewdosborne
07-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks judges and everyone. A bit congrats to Andrew and not forgetting the other entrants. My work is done if this bass build inspires anyone else to have a go. I know I'm continuously inspired by other builds. And one the scoreboard for the low enders ;)

stan
07-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Well done Andrew O on a super classy axe.
the others all did an awesome job, judging must have been tough

wazkelly
07-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Congrats both Andrew's and all other entrants. Lovely finish on the J Bass plus fretless clearly won over the judges.

Tekrytor
08-08-2016, 09:16 AM
The cut and finish are very fine, as well as those pickups! Very nice work and concept.

Fretworn
08-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Congratulations Andrews!

pablopepper
08-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Hooray! Congrats Andrew! And Andrew!