PDA

View Full Version : Sanding between coats

ganna19
13-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Hi guys,
I red a lot of thread on the forum but I am still a little bit confused.
I've just finished to apply the clear coat on the neck and the intensifier on the body and they feel a little bit bumpy.
I scrap them both with 0000 steel wool but it doesn't feel like even them out. Do you sand them with sand paper between coats or just wait until the final clear coat is done and wet sand the body? What about the neck?
I am waiting 7 days between every coat and I have understood that I have to wait twenty days before cut and polish the body of the guitar.
Probably you already answered this question somewhere but I couldn't find a proper step by step explanation...

dingobass
14-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Hi Ganna,
You can scuff sand with 320 or 400 grit between coats to level the surface out.
Go gently, you dont want to take too much off! :)

Andy40
14-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Hi guys,
I red a lot of thread on the forum but I am still a little bit confused.
I've just finished to apply the clear coat on the neck and the intensifier on the body and they feel a little bit bumpy.
I scrap them both with 0000 steel wool but it doesn't feel like even them out. Do you sand them with sand paper between coats or just wait until the final clear coat is done and wet sand the body? What about the neck?
I am waiting 7 days between every coat and I have understood that I have to wait twenty days before cut and polish the body of the guitar.
Probably you already answered this question somewhere but I couldn't find a proper step by step explanation...

My 2 cents...although DB is the authority.

Definitely, light sand between all coats to even each out. If you don't the bumps will carry through to next coat and so on.

You may find that 320 or 400 (if not done lightly) will start going down to the stain and take that off. If that happens, its okay you can restain or intensify coat to bring back the colour. I do 600 grit or 1200 grit and then 2000 grit (wet sand) between intensifying coats and finals...gives me a bit more control. I don't use steel wool on DT. I use the same method for neck and body, although the neck coat is harder so you can sand a bit harder.

I doubt in WA that you need to wait 7 days between coats? maybe its cold there? we are still getting autumn weather in Brissy and I wear a tee shirt most days. but again it also depends on the thickness of the coat... Anyway I like to wait 7 days in any event because its well and truly cured. You are spot on withe the last curing time 21 days.

Ad's and DB's put up how to videos on the pitbull website, have you seen those? they are step by step.

dingobass
14-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I forgot about Andys tips....
So, wot Andy sed :D

ganna19
15-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the advices guy. Now it's pretty clear what I should do. I'll post some pictures of the final result on my diary.