PDA

View Full Version : Fret board masking

Marelton
13-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Are there any tips and tricks anyone could give me on the best way to mask up the fret board for painting the neck on my ST.
I don't want any fretboard contamination or "hard edges" where the paintwork meets the fretboard edge, but not sure how I can avoid it.

Is it as simple as just be careful?

pablopepper
13-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Get some decent quality blue painters tape (3m and scotch brand work very well), then take your time and slowly run a strip up each side following where the fretboard meets the neck wood. Work in sections, try to get it right on that edge, and when you're happy with it rub it down hard with your thumb. Fold the excess over on to the fret board and cover the rest with more tape.

wazkelly
13-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Is it a maple or rosewood fret board?

In your post you mentioned 'Where the paintwork meets the fretboard edge' and this tends to suggest a rosewood fret board as I cannot envisage a painted neck with a maple board as most people would just go with the one overall maple look instead?

They are pretty easy to mask up, just need a really good tape that will hang on for a while and not leave any residue. For rosewood mask right up to the line where it meets the maple of the neck. Sure it will leave a bit of a line once removed but that comes out with the final wet sanding before polishing, and if you use wax to seal the fret board that can also be rubbed into the edges where it meets the maple neck. Should come up a real treat without too much effort.

Maple fret boards may be a bit more tricky depending on how you intend to finish between the frets and how far up the edges do you want your finish? Same thing overall in that you tape off to where you want the finish to end and where you will treat the actual fret board. Some people use wax, oils, or even lacquer type stuff, all up to personal preference.

Marelton
13-06-2016, 06:40 PM
It's a rosewood fretboard.
The tape I have is ok, but I'm going to see if I can get some higher tack stuff such as pablopepper suggested. I think the extra expense will pay off.
I want the painted surface to finish at the joint line of the fretboard to the neck.

I'm told lemon oil is good for the actual fretboard, but not going to apply this until well after the final clear coat has full cured.

wazkelly
15-06-2016, 08:53 PM
On the right track and even the BGSFOS has plenty of choice and suggest looking at the dearer stuff that is either blue or yellow. I used Norton 'Professional Painters Gold Masking Tape' that comes in yellow 24mm wide x 50 metres as per below shot. Used it on 5 guitars where some were taped up for about 4 - 5 months and it came off easy leaving no residue as stated on the packaging. Might cost a few bucks more but worth every cent.

I have used Dingo Wax on both my Explorer shapes & Lemon Oil on my Tele Rosewood FB and whilst the wax was rock hard it did do the better job as the Tele looks much drier in comparison. Understand why you would choose Lemon Oil as it is easier to apply which was main reason I used it on the Tele. Looks like it will need to be reapplied more frequently compared to the wax. Agree that these treatments go on last thing before stringing up.

Marelton
16-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Ah, I noticed this in Bunnings after I posted the original note and was in two minds whether to go for this or the 3M Scotch Blue. I went for the 3M stuff in the end and figured I only need the narrow tape as its the edge I'm more concerned about getting right.
As it turned out its laid down pretty crisp so I'm expecting a good result.

Thanks for getting back to me and I'll post the outcome after paint

wokkaboy
16-06-2016, 09:09 AM
hey Marelton the 3M scotch tape is very good. For admitting shopping at the big green shed you will be getting a naughty warehouse sentence from DB in the very near future haha

@ DB this Naughty Warehouse is going to have to be doubled in size AGAIN to cope with all the inmates !

Marelton
16-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Oh dear.....was that a no,no?? Sounds like I might be in the doghouse!

Apologies DB, newbie faux pas not to be repeated

wokkaboy
16-06-2016, 09:44 AM
hey Marelton all good you still have your L plates up, the naughty warehouse isn't as bad as it sounds, we have wood fired pizza, craft beer on tap (I am the barman) and all the machinery and tools to build a great guitar, we have to use DB approved products though haha

Zandit75
16-06-2016, 02:06 PM
hey Marelton all good you still have your L plates up, the naughty warehouse isn't as bad as it sounds, we have wood fired pizza, craft beer on tap (I am the barman) and all the machinery and tools to build a great guitar, we have to use DB approved products though haha

There's also a pet Tasmanian in the cupboard under the stairs who thinks he's a Wizard!! :p

wokkaboy
16-06-2016, 02:08 PM
ahha good one Zandit, if you are really nice to DB he may let you out of the cupboard under the stairs in the naughty warehouse

Zandit75
16-06-2016, 02:19 PM
ahha good one Zandit, if you are really nice to DB he may let you out of the cupboard under the stairs in the naughty warehouse

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. DB demanded all the Huon pine and Tas Blackwood I could get my hands on!!

wokkaboy
16-06-2016, 02:30 PM
oh well can't help you out there Zandit, you will need to go timber shopping first before you get out then !

Marelton
16-06-2016, 09:11 PM

All sounds good to me!