PDA

View Full Version : The Crimson Guitars 12 hour build challenge.

Bass Guy
11-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Hi all,

I've just started watching this, and it's immensely entertaining. Link below.

https://youtu.be/3K89Tvvz3Lo

stan
11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Yes I follow the channel closely. Ben seems to be adding in a bit more shameless self promotion, but he is entertaining and there is a lot to be learnt

dingobass
11-06-2016, 06:40 PM
It has got me beat how that dude gets anything done...
He is the most disorganised Luthier i have ever seen. Normal Luthiers have clamps ready, not having to go searching for them. ........
He really needs to not have a few brekky bongs before he starts :P

stan
11-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Is that your secret DB?

dingobass
11-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Just about every vid of his I have seen, he spends more time rambling on like a stoner than actually getting anything done.
Classic example was the masking tape and CA glue trick for attaching sandpaper to sanding beam.
13 minutes of rambling to show a 3 minute trick.....
And in case you were wondering, no, I dont really rate him very highly... and I am not the only one who thinks that way.

andrewdosborne
11-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Haha see what you mean DB, he's got the clamps stashed everywhere!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

stan
11-06-2016, 07:17 PM
He looks at all his timber like he is seeing it for the first time, choose it before hand, then just get into it....

dingobass
11-06-2016, 07:58 PM
And did you notice how he put his shooting plane down on the bench?
NEVER sit your plane down flat on any surface, great way to put a chip in the blade....
Always lay them on their side or have a block of wood under the back heel to keep that blade off the bench!

kimball492
12-06-2016, 02:14 AM
He does waffle a bit and should be edited, take out the unessary stuff. But he is very prolific content wise. I don't know how he has time to build. Digging watching the Euro Championships. Well done Wales.

stan
12-06-2016, 06:22 AM
And did you notice how he put his shooting plane down on the bench?
NEVER sit your plane down flat on any surface, great way to put a chip in the blade....
Always lay them on their side or have a block of wood under the back heel to keep that blade off the bench!

One thing I get right then...

dingobass
12-06-2016, 12:44 PM
And I wish he would wear a hat.... those crappy skull tatts are distracting to say the least :D

Bass Guy
12-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Wish I hadn't mentioned it now... 😀

wokkaboy
12-06-2016, 02:19 PM
haha all good BassGuy he has some top advice but there are a few things he can improve on

dingobass
12-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Bwahahahahaha!
Sorry BG...
In all the twaddle there are a few good tips, so I probably am a tad harsh on the bloke....

stan
12-06-2016, 05:58 PM
All that aside I am actually enjoying watching the series

Dedman
12-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Realise that all these "reality" shows are 100% scripted and directed right down to the "now you are going to do your block and throw that down and storm off" , "I need a look of surprise when you open that draw", "You are going to find you don't have the right thing and only have 4hrs to find one and fit it, I need looks of panic. Make up, spray some sweat on the brow."
Trust me on this. The only thing not scripted is how many cigs Scotty Cam owes me.

pablopepper
13-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Got up to episode 16 last night. It's exhausting just watching. Really dig the design of the guitar though. The Parker style carve is just great.

Zandit75
14-06-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't mind some of his videos, but when I saw him talking about his new range of timber stains, and applying them with a paper towel, I started looking at him in a different light.
I did enjoy the series of his apprentice building a kit guitar and improving it as much as possible though, that was good.

pablopepper
14-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I don't mind some of his videos, but when I saw him talking about his new range of timber stains, and applying them with a paper towel, I started looking at him in a different light.

Hey Zan, a little confused, was it a good light or a bad light?

Zandit75
14-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Hey Zan, a little confused, was it a good light or a bad light?

Sorry Pablo, I should have emphasised that comment. His technique for applying stain is stupid in my opinion. You could have the best quality paper towel, but when it's wet, it's going to break down, and in several of his videos, you can see the paper towel tearing apart and leaving scraps in the finish.
I don't have anything against him as a Luthier, I have no experience in that field. But I started looking at his videos in a less positive way after seeing that.

pablopepper
14-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Fair enough, I thought it was a bit odd the first time I saw it too, but, it seems to get him good results. I have since used paper towels a few times to apply tru oil, and it worked really well (Don't tell DB...).

wokkaboy
14-06-2016, 10:42 AM
haha paper towel to rag on a stain, that's not going to work. I just started watching episode 1, he is disorganised, his boss clamps were in a storeroom downstairs to clamp the body blank together you would think he would have had all the tools he needs within close vicinity of his workbench haha

FrankenWashie
17-06-2016, 11:49 AM
He's a little on the ragged edge of coherence at times isn't he? +1 on the skull tatts DB.

SIMpleONe89
20-06-2016, 06:54 PM
It has got me beat how that dude gets anything done...
He is the most disorganised Luthier i have ever seen. Normal Luthiers have clamps ready, not having to go searching for them. ........
He really needs to not have a few brekky bongs before he starts :P

Haha I'm guilty of being more disorganised.

But I do find myself having to fast forward every video just to get to the main point.