PDA

View Full Version : July Guitar of the Month Competition (for Guitars and Besses finished in June 2016)

adam
06-06-2016, 07:35 PM
July 2016 GOTM
Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars July 2016 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished in (or before) June2016

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adamboyle (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for July closes 30 June 2016

RedneckRampage
07-06-2016, 06:13 PM
My IB-5 which was a bunch of fun to build, all stock hardware, changed the fret dots, hand painted(clearcoat was rattlecanned) body and headstock, neck is stained and cleared and the fret board is stained and oiled.
I think it came out okay:D

huangmi
10-06-2016, 10:38 PM
my SG F1 i named her Sic-Sigbon GS

wokkaboy
11-06-2016, 12:26 AM
Crikey new builds are popping everywhere a good effort on a cool SG. Please tell us how you got the look

adam
11-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Huangmi's Headstock.

huangmi
11-06-2016, 07:52 PM
i hand sketched the wood burn design, then did the wood burn, the finish is jarrah and teak stain, only put on 2 coats each. finalised with (50% satin 50% gloss clear varnish 2 coats also) i don't like too many coats of finishes on guitars.

adam
13-06-2016, 06:51 PM
New entry from adammmcarthy, who was having issues posting:

"so this is my lefty explorer, my first ever real left handed guitar...
its all standard straight out of the box. stained with japan black and white wash from the hardware shop, lotsa sanding. then finished with dingotone clear."

11915 11916 11917 11918

wokkaboy
13-06-2016, 07:02 PM
nice effort Adam Mcarthy, the burst has been well done, great looking build

Fretworn
14-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Very nice job Adam Mc.

Pumpy
21-06-2016, 05:51 AM
My RCA-4 all finished :-)
All I have changed on this kit is the bridge (purely for looks), and the 3 way switch. Although the Jetglo Rick has always been on my list of wants, I wanted something unique and thought a carbon effect would tick both boxes. I used rattle cans for primer, base coat, carbon effect, and clear coat. The kit went together very well, the action is nice and low and it plays a treat.

pablopepper
21-06-2016, 06:17 AM
Looks unreal Pumpy. This is the one to beat this month, imho.

wokkaboy
21-06-2016, 08:46 AM
wicked build Pumpy first I've seen a build with the carbon fibre effect. My only concern is the full width of the E string doesn't reach the nut so the thinner part of the string may rattle around in the nut slot. Must be the new bridge you put on the strings must be anchored further away

stan
21-06-2016, 08:47 AM
all fantastic guitas, but Pumpy, that ricci is tops

Pumpy
21-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Thank you for all the comments :-)
My mistake with the head pic, wrong one posted but edited with the right one now. I used the stock strings for set up as I don't like taking strings on and off. Wokkaboy you're right, the new bridge meant I needed to change the strings for long scale but I always use the same make strings on all my basses so they were always going to be changed.

wokkaboy
21-06-2016, 09:37 AM
ah good stuff Pumpy that headstock pic looks much better and the E string reaches the nut ok. What type and gauge strings do you use ?

Pumpy
21-06-2016, 09:46 AM
I buy all my strings from Status Graphite in the UK, for 4 strings I use 40-100, and on my 5's I use 40-125, all round wound. I tried different gauges and types over the years but this seems to work well for me.

wazkelly
23-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Looks great. String gauge is a bit lighter on the G than stock standard 45 but if it works for you all good.

Just wondering what the name on the headstock means?

Caesar
24-06-2016, 06:45 AM
Hello this is my finished guitar, looks and sounds fantastic!
The head stock Logo is my name, the fine writing on the back says Rockabilly Rules, no alterations what so ever, all material bought from Pitbull Guitar, I love playing it, sounds fantastic and by the way it's my very first kit, loved every seconds working towards what it is today..

Pumpy
24-06-2016, 08:14 AM
So, the headstock name :-)
I wanted to get away from the type of names and font normally associated with this style bass, if it's a unique build then I think the name and style should also be unique.
My wife lets me do my many 'little projects' with no complaints :-) so I decided to name the bass after her. Her name is Ildiko, she's Hungarian and her family have always called her Ingyom. It's pronounced Indyom, the 'GY' is the same sound as 'DY' in English. Her Dad has always called her Ingyomka, and thats how I got there. Hungarian 101 :-)

wokkaboy
24-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Hey Caesar nice build well done. Just need a close up of the headstock please. Love the natural sides and neck look really cool with the red back and front.
I'll give you a tip some well focused outdoor photos in good light of the axe will give you a much better chance of scoring well !

Fuzzbeard
25-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Nice one Caesar! that is cool.

peterh
26-06-2016, 02:52 AM
The month is almost up, so it's time to get off my butt and take a few pictures of my TL-1 for the GOTM. This was my first build and I was able to pick this kit up on one of Adam's Sunday night specials. I've learned a lot in the process and hopefully can do a better job on the next one, but thanks to everyone who answered my (mostly) dumb questions - it helped.
The kit is finished with a set of analine dyes I got from Wood Essence in Western Canada - I wish I'd recorded the actual mix I used but it was a combination of black, Van Dyke Brown mostly on the body. I used around 10 coats of Tru Oil for the finish with 0000 steel wool between the last couple coats.
The hardware is all stock with the exception of the pots and wires. I'm hoping to put some Tonerider TRT3 Blues pups in (have to check with Adam on whether he was able to get some ordered) but the stock ones work okay for now.
I tried the Super Slinky strings that came with the kit but I found them a little too thin for me, so I had a set of D'Addario flatwound 10's put on (local music store had a promo where they'd do a full neck setup if you bought a set of strings) and I like it a lot better.
I haven't put the strap button on because I mostly (attempt to) play jazz and do it sitting down.

wokkaboy
26-06-2016, 09:31 AM
great looking build Poida well done, there's some really nice basswood grain there and the brown and black hardware combo works really well

Fretworn
27-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Very nice Peter. Looks great.

Andy40
27-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Very yummy peter, showing off that when you do it properly basswood can be beautiful

Dedman
27-06-2016, 12:43 PM
JR-1 Kit.
Pup replaced with a mini humbucker which is split by the sole volume pot. (but the knob DOES go up to 11! ) Wilkinson Imperial tuners, brass nut on ebony fret board with black binding with abalone shell dots (by DB). Black fittings (strap buttons,lead socket and neck plate) with gold screws. Gold strings. The truss rod cover says Tsunami. Paint, my own brew of car acrylics applied with a sponge. It looks almost black in some light, very green in others.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Jnr-Full_zpsc2btm8cy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Jnr-back_zpsqxjfy9ty.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Fnr-front-close_zpslif4mlpq.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Jnr-Headstock_zpsngkblfzs.jpg

Andy40
28-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Nice one Dedman, I took one look at that paint job and I knew it was the Tsunami. Love those Imperials and the fretboard is to die for.

Caesar
02-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Sorry I didn't add the front and back head stock logo, the front is my name, on the back says Rockabilly Rules Yeah!

adam
02-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Another 7 incredible entries this month.

Thanks to all the builders who entered.

We'll get the Judges on task and aim for an announcement on Friday.

adam
08-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Apologies for the delay, but the results are in...

Thanks to the Judges for their scores and comments, always a tough job.

Their comments in submission order...

Redneck's IB-5

Lovely detail in the paintjob - overall effect is pretty cool!
Really original paint theme and well executed, love the General Lee theme, a build to be proud of
Hey Redneck, I like the cool graphics of the riveted plates over the Rebel flag. It’s not made from parts of the General Lee is it? A nice overall look on this guitar, well done Redneck.
Love the graphic and style of this bass – lots of attitude. The hand painted finish came up really well.

Huangmi's SG-1F

Fantastic pyrography - amazing detail - only concern is how long the finish had to cure properly before being put together - that said - hope it sounds as good as it looks.
Another original design the carvings and colours have been done well, I can see a lot of work has gone into this build. A great effort
A nice two tone stain job, I like the wood burn designs also, I like the dragon on the headstock. You should consider photographing it in better light with a lighter background. The black door behind, makes the guitar, look dull. The clean lines between the colors are really sharp. Another great looking guitar.
This one really reminds me of Tony Iommi’s infamous SG. The worn finish suits it.

AdamMMcarthy's Explorer

Love the classic, black burst look - overall effect is fantastic.
nice burst a cool looking explorer, the colours work well with the shape, well done
I like the way the burst, frames the wood grain on the body, it goes really well with the shape of the guitar. This guitar has a really cool look Adam.
Rare to see a lefty. Nicely done burst and looks like it’s ready to shred.

Pumpy's RCA-4
Stunning looking RCA-4. Bonus for the demo. Overall fantastic outcomes.
Great finish, love the carbon weave, looks immaculate to me.
this is a really sexy looking Ricky love the carbon effect and bonus points for a cool sound demo it's got a great range and full sound, very well done Pumpy
That’s a sweet carbon fiber look going on there Pumpy, I like it a lot. Well done with the affect. Nice high gloss finishes as well, I like shiny. It looks like you just picked it up, new, from the shop. The dark color goes well with the chrome fittings. This one’s a killer.
Loved how you did the carbon fibre look and the finish itself is of a high quality. Solid build.

Caesar's SF-1
Nice combo of colours - love how it all comes together.
love the colour scheme with the red front/back and natural sides. You didn't show a close up of the headstock and the photos have let down your chances they aren't clear pics in good light.
Hey Caesar, well done, I like that red color on the body, it almost looks like an old style violin. I also like the way you have your name on the head stock, it makes the guitar a “signature” model.
Nicely done build with classic features. Love the two tone sides.

PeterH's Tele
Lovely classic tele - the BWB pickguard finishes the look off nicely.
Love the brown stain and black hardware this is a nice looking tele. You really brought out that nice basswood grain. Missing a headstock logo to say you built it
A very nice TL-1 Peter, the black fittings go well with the brown stain color you chose. The light colored fret board stands out really well, especially with the black dots.
The black hardware really suits the warm natural tones of the finish. Well done.

Deadman's JR-1
The blend of the gold and the green / black of the body is a stunning outcome - does evoke feelings of the sea!
love the way how you customise your builds Dedman with a cool theme. Love the sponged finish effect and the tasty gold hardware this is a really tasty looking axe
This guitar looks great Dedman, the marbling effect on the body looks like weathered bronze. That green goes really well with the gold fittings and strings. Clean, simplistic design and another one of a kind, well done.
Absolutely love this build. Minimalist style, gold hardware popping off the mottled blues. Perfect.

Cont...

adam
08-07-2016, 08:11 PM
The Runner Up for Pit Bull Guitars July 2016 Guitar of the Month is:

Pumpy's RCA-4

Voted by the narrowest of margins behind this month's Winner...

Dedman's JR-1

Congratulations Dedman, a stunning build.

WeirdBits
08-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Congrats Deds, excellent build, and well done Pumpy for a very close second.

wazkelly
08-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Echo Weirdy's comments. Both axes would be welcome in anyone's collection and well done to all entrants.

peterh
08-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Well done, Dedman and Pumpy! Beautiful looking kits. I'm inspired to work even harder on build #2 now.

keloooe
08-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Congrats Dedman, a stunning build! Pumpy, as a bassist, I'd throw that RC into my collection any day :D

Dedman
08-07-2016, 10:05 PM
wow! thanks guys! I honestly thought Pumpy had that in the bag.
:)

robin
09-07-2016, 04:22 AM
Well done Dedman and Pumpy. It must have been hard for the judges, I couldn’t split any of them. Also well done to Redneck, Huangmi, Adam, Caesar and Peter. There is not one guitar/bass in that collection that I would not be proud of. Some first time builds as well, simply amazing.

How is it that the standard of entries just keeps getting better?

rob

Andy40
09-07-2016, 06:12 AM
Congrats Dedman...love that build am definatley a massive fan of it.

Well done pumpy. looks great

Fretworn
09-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Congratulations!

Pumpy
09-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Well done Dedman. Thanks everyone for the comments, really pleased to get that far considering I've never built anything like this before, and now looking forward to the next build. IB5 I think

vh2580
09-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Congrats Dedman , great build and awesome body colour. The bass looks fantastic Pumpy

andrewdosborne
09-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Congrats!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

gavinturner
09-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Congrats Dedman and Pumpy, two awesome builds.

cheers,
Gav.

FrankenWashie
09-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Well done both of you! Great finishes on both of those, i suspect you caused some grief and consternation for the judging panel!

Zandit75
09-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Congratulations Guys, both awesome builds!

Dedman
09-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Thanks again guys, I feel we shared 1st prize

nitroburner1000
09-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Congrats guys, your builds are awesome.

kimball492
09-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Great stuff Dedman. The guitar looks fantastic. Here's to many more. Well done to all the other great entries too.

Wayne.Mumford
10-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Well done to all the entries, some great looking guitars. Congrats to Dedman, a really cool, I love the gold contrasting the green. Well done to Pumpy as well. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see next months efforts, they give me inspirations for future projects.

wokkaboy
10-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Big congrats to Dedman and Pumpy, had super slow wifi while on holiday so haven't bothered logging on.
Also great effort all other entries and it was a tough month to judge as usual

PapaKen
31-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Tele-types are awesome!

PapaKen
31-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Congrats to the winners...all fine axes!

stan
31-07-2016, 05:23 PM
awesome work Dedman and Pumpy, both awesomely painted axes