PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes your kids build the craziest looking things...

nDR01d
04-06-2016, 06:06 PM
OK, so the guitar making process is rubbing off on my oldest son (turning 11). He is already soldering my guitar electronics and other stuff (Jaycar projects etc) and now he has jig-sawed (with my supervision) out a tele style guitar on a piece of 7mm ply. His hope is to layer each piece till it's about 1 1/2" to 2" thick, then buy a neck and viola! - a plywood guitar. But the rub is, this thing has an extra horn on the bottom. Now I know Adam can work magic with custom builds as long as there is a blueprint or whatever with regular guitars, but is there any way this could be made into a one off kit for Christmas? Could I buy a slab of wood and pay one of you gentlemen to cut it out and maybe route the body?
This is what he is up to:

dingobass
05-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Gotta love the way kids see things.
Be more than happy to knock up a body for you Android.
Email me, db at pitbullguitars dot com

wokkaboy
05-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Looks like a case of young fella GAS ndroid! Cool design. Maybe one lower horn is enough

Dedman
06-06-2016, 06:26 AM
oh, I dunno, add a few more on both ends, paint it green and call it Cthulu

pablopepper
06-06-2016, 06:39 AM
Chernobyl edition telecaster. LOL.

FrankenWashie
06-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Same same but different?

Zandit75
08-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Being a Tasmanian, they say two heads are better than one.....But they said nothing about two horns.........:p

stan
08-06-2016, 05:40 PM
It's a boy!

wazkelly
08-06-2016, 08:19 PM
With reference to Tasmanians it would be a bit like a dog with 2 appendages and not knowing which one to lick.

nDR01d
09-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Just a quick shout out to DB has stuck his hand up to help out with this bizarre project. Thanks DB!

And yes, I am aware of the appendage situation - but lets remember, he's 10, not 16 - and there are PLENTY more lowbrow guitar shapes out there. Some of which may even look "attractive" to Tasmanians ;)

wokkaboy
09-06-2016, 01:25 PM
haha good one Ndroid, there are a few Tasmanians on the forum so hopefully they aren't offended haha

look forward to see this project progress, so is that really the shape you are going to build for your son ?

WeirdBits
09-06-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm just imagining trying to sand or finish in that tight cut... that looks like a job for nDr01d Jr!

wokkaboy
09-06-2016, 01:29 PM
good point Weirdy, might be more practical to do a double cut tele shape

Must be difficult to work on your tele Weirdy, would take a while to dust off the cobwebs mate ?

WeirdBits
09-06-2016, 01:50 PM
hehe yeah, I'll probably have to wire brush the dust off it by the time I get around to putting some more coats on.

wokkaboy
09-06-2016, 01:52 PM
yeah that's it Weirdy, I think the telebilly build could be the slowest forum build ever award (SFBEA) hahah

nDR01d
09-06-2016, 01:52 PM
A bit of appropriately sized dowel with sand paper put into a drill press will get into that tight spot. No worries. I've used it as a drum sander before.

@Wokks - Yep. He designed it and used my tele as starting point. I think he may have seen Princes cloud guitar some where and thought 'I could do something like that'. Plus his fav guitarist is John5 - he only uses teles. And crazy ones too eg: filled with green goo or his led tele. Lastly, he doesn't like the top horn (seriously, is that that what they are called?) on Strats. So I guess he just went 'I'll have two instead of one - more is better' He wants two humbuckers in the thing as well plus god knows what switching ie:north pole/south pole, series/parallel etc etc. Good luck to him. Half of my guitars electronics he's done anyway.

Oh, and don't let DB read this. He might change his mind about helping! ;)

wokkaboy
09-06-2016, 01:56 PM
haha sounds like a plan Ndroid,
sure if you get DB a good photo of the template you have cut he can make a template and cut the body shape. DB will have all the other templates for a double humbucker tele

Zandit75
09-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Just a quick shout out to DB has stuck his hand up to help out with this bizarre project. Thanks DB!

And yes, I am aware of the appendage situation - but lets remember, he's 10, not 16 - and there are PLENTY more lowbrow guitar shapes out there. Some of which may even look "attractive" to Tasmanians ;)

Shots fired!! Shots Fired!!!
LMAO, If he was a Tasmanian 10yo, he'd already be engaged to his cousin by now!!!:p;)

wokkaboy
09-06-2016, 02:25 PM
haha classic Zandit lives in Tassy and is making jokes about Tasmanians hahha

wazkelly
09-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Shots fired!! Shots Fired!!!
LMAO, If he was a Tasmanian 10yo, he'd already be engaged to his cousin by now!!!:p;)

Hmmmm, plenty of jokes and where do you start? Better leave them alone as this is a PG rated forum after all.

Zandit75
10-06-2016, 07:23 AM
haha classic Zandit lives in Tassy and is making jokes about Tasmanians hahha

Hmmmm, plenty of jokes and where do you start? Better leave them alone as this is a PG rated forum after all.

Hahaha, If you can't laugh at yourself, there's not much point to life is there??!!!
I was born and raised here, and I think I've heard just about every joke there is, and then some.
If it weren't for us Tasmanian, or New Zealanders for that matter, you mainland guys would have nothing to talk about!!

FrankenWashie
10-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Hahaha, If you can't laugh at yourself, there's not much point to life is there??!!!
I was born and raised here, and I think I've heard just about every joke there is, and then some.
If it weren't for us Tasmanian, or New Zealanders for that matter, you mainland guys would have nothing to talk about!!

Yes there's never any shortage of sheep shagger jokes from my colleagues and rugby club mates here on the West Island.

dingobass
10-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Tassie is an amazing place.
I remember being on an Army excersise there waaaaaaay back in the 1980's.
We were on the west side in the densest forest imaginable when we stumbled onto a track that wasnt on any of our ordinance maps.
Being curious, we followed said track and came across a timber getters camp.
It was edumacational to say the least...
The folk there all looked the same, and spoke a weird version of English.
Seems they had very little contact with the rest of the world, only a few of the men ever went to town when they took their timber to the mill and then bought supplies....

wazkelly
10-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Tassie is an amazing place.
I remember being on an Army excersise there waaaaaaay back in the 1980's.
We were on the west side in the densest forest imaginable when we stumbled onto a track that wasnt on any of our ordinance maps.
Being curious, we followed said track and came across a timber getters camp.
It was edumacational to say the least...
The folk there all looked the same, and spoke a weird version of English.
Seems they had very little contact with the rest of the world, only a few of the men ever went to town when they took their timber to the mill and then bought supplies....

Were any of them playing Banjos?

dingobass
11-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Nope...
Most of them only had three fingers and two toes..... :D

Zandit75
12-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Nope...
Most of them only had three fingers and two toes..... :D

And yet still better looking than Collingwood supporters!!