PDA

View Full Version : One bass only: p, j, pj...?

ihasmario
27-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, I only own an expensive bass and want to get something cheap but versatile ready for the children. It will be used in a pop rock kind of setting and also by me for the worship/modern church music at the school I work at.

I'm leaning towards a p because the bass I own already is quite bright and full range, rather than punchy....

What do you reckon?

wokkaboy
27-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Hey Chris, so what is your current bass a P or J bass ?

I'd go for whatever you haven't got

ihasmario
27-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Get Wokka, its neither. Its a lightwave VL5 which is active. But I think it has more in common with a jazz ...?

wokkaboy
27-05-2016, 01:16 PM
ok Chris, well I have built the PBH-4 that is a cool bass

keloooe
27-05-2016, 01:42 PM
A J can be used for some real punchy midrange tones, thats why I use it with my own band... EIther one could be modded with a P/J configuration if needed...

Muzza
27-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I've been pushing for a Stingray 5 string kit, but it didn't look like eventuating in my lifetime, so I bought a real one.

The IB-5's look interesting and there are already some good build diarys and a couple being currently built.

I'm a recent convert to 5 string basses and that extra string is turning out to be a bonus and hindrance at the same time.

I don't think I'll be going back to 4 strings anytime soon though.

Brendan
27-05-2016, 05:35 PM
YB-4 may be a good option - mix of P & J... Best of both...

ihasmario
27-05-2016, 06:14 PM
YB-4 may be a good option - mix of P & J... Best of both...

Good hustle. I reckon that looks pretty good!

Is it possible to get one of those sort of configs in either a P or J body at PBG?

Don't care about the tone wood TBH because it'll be solid finish for sure and covered in paint (gonna get the kids in class to paint it).

Also this is me talking rather than on behalf of the kids - but any possibility for 5 or 6 stringers?

dave.king1
28-05-2016, 05:58 AM
There has been talk previously of 6 string bass kits with a neck more in line with the Fender VI than the extra wide necks seen on modern 6 stringers arriving in June.

ihasmario
28-05-2016, 11:39 AM
There has been talk previously of 6 string bass kits with a neck more in line with the Fender VI than the extra wide necks seen on modern 6 stringers arriving in June.

Sounds wicked.... If I can get that with a P body with a PJ setup I'll be set....

Can anyone confirm or deny?

dave.king1
28-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Sounds wicked.... If I can get that with a P body with a PJ setup I'll be set....

Can anyone confirm or deny?

The Fender VI is like a Jazzmaster with a 30" scale so nothing like a P or J bass to look at or play, I've spent a fair bit of time on all three and the J would be my last choice but that is just my taste.

I switch between guitar and bass so the 30" scale is a better compromise than a 34" or longer scale.

On the VI I played 1970s prog and heavy rock and later on country, it had a sound for all occasions but massive very clean amps played a big part in the sound. 8 x 12" speakers push a hell of a lot of air.

Today I have a Pitbull PBH-4 and a 1970s Yamaha 30" scale bass with the Yammy getting the bulk of the bass work because it is closer in scale length to my 6 stringers.

If I still had that VI I wouldn't need another bass of any sort for what I now play.

Guitars, basses and amps are a matter of personal taste for feel and tone so get out and play a few preferably through your amp