PDA

View Full Version : Fretboard pain

ganna19
26-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Hi guys! I have just received my first kit, a TLA-1. I'm sanding the body and the neck with the 180 and then with 240, but what about the fretboard side? Should I sand it too or just apply the dingotone natural finish on it? I don't want to ruin the frets...

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Hi Ganna, sounds like you are making good progress. Run your hand down both sides of the fingerboard and see/feel if there are any part of the fret protruding past the fingerboard, you will feel this. Usually the PBG necks are pretty well cleaned up.
No need to sand the edge of the fingerboard unless you feel are any part of the frets that are proud.
If you do end up sanding a bit of the fretboard side all good, don't worry too much.

ganna19
26-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Yep, the side of the neck is nice and smooth. And what about between the frets? Should I sand there or not? Thanks for your help. As soon as I get back home I star my building diary!

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Hi Ganna, you mean the fingerboard face between the frets ? I usually rub them with super fine steel wool and rub with the grain - nut to heel. If you haven't got a fingerboard protector get an icecream container, cut out a rectangular piece about 20mm wide x 60-70mm long and cut out a slot in the middle the shape of a fret at 21st fret, then place this over the fingerboard to protect it and you can polish the frets.
Here's a pic what they look like

ganna19
26-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Yep, that's what I meant. I'll use the 0000 steel whool and then apply the coat. Thank you mate, you are a legend!

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 04:54 PM
no worries Ganna, be best to use a wax or oil on the fingerboard, I'd put the clear/final coats on the rest of the neck

dingobass
26-05-2016, 06:17 PM
I wouldnt recommend using DT on the fretboard.
Just use a good product like Dingowax or Dr Ducks axe wax

Gavin1393
26-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Thank you mate, you are a legend!
Indeed he is, and in a year when everyone is asking what happened to that bloke 'Nat Something-or-other' that played footy for some team with an anchor on their guernsey, everyone will be saying "Ask Wokka - he knows everything - he's a legend!"

Gavin1393
26-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Indeed he is, and in a year when everyone is asking what happened to that bloke 'Nat Something-or-other' that played footy for some team with an anchor on their guernsey, everyone will be saying "Ask Wokka - he knows everything - he's a legend!"

But will he admit to it?