PDA

View Full Version : IB-7 Guitar Finishing....

mindis02
23-05-2016, 04:05 PM
I have bought a IB-7 and don't know how to finish it.I don't want to spray it but more like a stain or something but cant do a wood stain and stuff because there are 3 pieces of wood for the body so you can kind of see some glue joints so is there any good ways to finish it without putting veneer on it and then staining it?

-Guitar is very good though its just i don't know how to finish it...

-IB-7 has a lean on the body so it might be hard to put veneer on it if i do get it but i want to know other ways of finishing it with it still looking good.

-Have not done anything to the guitar yet.

-(Not asking about color choices,etc but how to maybe fix the top or and alternative.

wokkaboy
23-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Hi Mindis, can you please post a photo of the kit and a close up of the body ?
I wouldn't worry about different shades of the 3 pieces of timber on the body. Does it have a flame maple veneer on the top ?

to get rid of the glue can get a small wire brush from a hardware and keep rubbing it and wipe a damp cloth over it to see if the glue has gone, then sand it

mindis02
23-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Hi Mindis, can you please post a photo of the kit and a close up of the body ?
I wouldn't worry about different shades of the 3 pieces of timber on the body. Does it have a flame maple veneer on the top ?

to get rid of the glue can get a small wire brush from a hardware and keep rubbing it and wipe a damp cloth over it to see if the glue has gone, then sand it

Ok here: Couldnt resize so just gave a link of them all (not a phishing site) heh

http://imgur.com/a/IznB2

Also why should i not worry too much about the different woods...?

And no veneer...

wokkaboy
23-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Mindis, when the stain goes on the different shades of the timber pieces will be like a feature.
I'd start sanding the body and wipe a damp cloth (water) over the body to see if any glue is visible

mindis02
23-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Mindis, when the stain goes on the different shades of the timber pieces will be like a feature.
I'd start sanding the body and wipe a damp cloth (water) over the body to see if any glue is visible

Ok i will do that but could you possibly find any examples of features like that or no....

And will most likely do the sanding thing because we have one of those sanding machine things.

dingobass
23-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Always better to sand by hand. Random orbital sanders leave annoying swirl scratches that seem to be difficult to remove, requiring as much time spent sanding as if you just hand sanded from the start.. Belt sanders are waaaaaay too butch to use on Guitar bodies.

Start with 120 grit and work your way up to 220/ 320 grit, depending on what finish you plan on using

mindis02
23-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Always better to sand by hand. Random orbital sanders leave annoying swirl scratches that seem to be difficult to remove, requiring as much time spent sanding as if you just hand sanded from the start.. Belt sanders are waaaaaay too butch to use on Guitar bodies.

Start with 120 grit and work your way up to 220/ 320 grit, depending on what finish you plan on using

Ok thank you

wazkelly
24-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Looks like a typical Basswood body where they glue 3 planks together therefore hard to get the grain, if any at all, to line up across all three planks.

It might surprise you once you give it a light sand and then damp down as when slightly wet you will get a better idea of how it should turn out.