PDA

View Full Version : Help Please....Buzzing Gremlins in Tele 4 way switch mod

wazkelly
21-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Used the following diagrams found on the net describing how to wire up a 4 way switch fro a Telecaster.

Initially wired the switch upside down and bridge PUP was not working then reversed it and all working how it should....except for the buzzing when not touching any metal on the guitar. Once I touch the strings or any metal part that seems to ground it and the buzzing goes away??? I have detached and reattached all earth wires with no success?

wazkelly
21-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Here are shots of the underside of control plate.

WeirdBits
21-05-2016, 04:59 PM
How bad is the buzzing and does it happen in all positions? What pickup do you have in neck and has it been modded (shield separated) for the 4-way switch setup?

wazkelly
22-05-2016, 08:10 AM
How bad is the buzzing and does it happen in all positions? What pickup do you have in neck and has it been modded (shield separated) for the 4-way switch setup?
Hi Scott, buzzing in all positions and yes the 3rd wire on Wilkinson neck PUP has been done to shield the metal cover and wired to back of the volume pot.

WeirdBits
22-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Buzzing independent of the switch position suggests something either volume/tone related, or general shielding/grounding issues. As I said in the other thread, if you can't find the source of the buzz I'd start simplifying. Run the switch out direct to the output jack, check for noise, add in the volume pot, re-check, add tone etc, and see if it's one thing or an accumulation of things that's producing the noise.

wazkelly
22-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks Scott, really appreciate your advice and will let you know how it works out.

ILRGuitars
29-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Hey Waz, did you ever find the problem here? I've got the same with my Tele. HB in the neck and standard PU in the bridge.

Alm_63
29-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Buzzing is definitely earth,
Double check your bridge plate earth?

wazkelly
29-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Hey Waz, did you ever find the problem here? I've got the same with my Tele. HB in the neck and standard PU in the bridge.

G'day ILR, that was 12 months ago and done so many other things since and can't remember exactly what I did. I do recall redoing the copper shielding and then ran multi meter over everything. May have resoldered some connections too.

It was all stripped down for refinishing touch ups recently and when put back together, right as rain.

I think the 4 way switch needs an earth which is then paired to the earth on the back or side of the volume pot. Here is a link to the Swampy build and apologise for blurry images. Looks like the earth is taken from the 3rd lug on LHS of 4 way switch.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6792&page=11

ILRGuitars
30-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Cheers Waz. Thinking about it...I haven't done an earth for the neck HB cover, could be the problem.

wazkelly
30-05-2017, 07:17 PM
That is a crucial part of the equation and probably will eliminate the buzzing in 3rd & 4th positions, meaning front and one back.

Cheers, Waz