PDA

View Full Version : Funny grounding issue

Nickosaurus
16-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Hey guys,

Just finished wiring a telecaster. Using the 7 lug import switch with the kit but re wired the rig.

All of my grounds are where they should be. Multimeter is showing my ground loop is complete but...

The neck pickup and the bridge plate are conductive... which doesn't seem right. I'm getting the typical buzzing stopping when touching metal but as far as I can tell the loop is complete.

Would the neck pup being conductive with bridge plate create a ground issue?

WeirdBits
16-05-2016, 09:56 PM
The chrome cover on a standard Tele neck pup is linked to ground/negative (unless it's a 3 wire), and the bridge plate usually has a ground wire under it, so they're linked as part of the ground circuit. Does the buzzing stop in the middle position? Is it normal single-coil hum or some other noise/buzzing?

Nickosaurus
16-05-2016, 10:26 PM
I never knew that about the cover. Good to know!

I haven't been able to hook it up to a real amp yet (moving houses) but I'm going to pull out the tube amp tomorrow to test the hum since my test rig for pedals/builds is a 10 watt starter amp that buzzes anyways.

From memory the buzzing dropped out a bit when I flicked to middle and got louder on neck/bridge positions. This wasn't normal hum though - definitely sounded like a ground issue somewhere.