PDA

View Full Version : NGD! Ric 4003

wazkelly
07-05-2016, 06:24 AM
Special delivery arrived at my workplace yesterday.

It has been 25 years since I last held and played one of these. To say I am stoked is a massive understatement. Just reminded me how low an action can be on a bass and how playable the neck is.

2008 model with D profile neck as later ones have a more chunkier C profile. Bought on Gumtree from a Japanese guy located in Ringwood Melbourne who imports many vintage guitars from Japan, he also avertises on eBay too.

darthdamo
07-05-2016, 06:29 AM
That is a sweet looking machine! They have such an awesome tone. Nice purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wazkelly
14-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Fine tuning and tweaking day for most of my guitars yesterday and on this one a fair amount of surface rust had corroded the chrome Bridge PUP surround. Luckily enough I think I scored the last replacement one left in Australia a couple of months ago and also bought a Treble Bezel from the US so that I now have a thumb rest on the side of that PUP.

Here are the 'Before' shots....

wazkelly
14-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Now the 'After' shots.....

The Treble Bezel not only makes things look tidier with the chrome PUP cover removed but it comes in 3 models. This one with a slightly raised lip that serves as a thumb rest, another with an indentation instead of the lip, and the 3rd which is just all smooth. Makes finger playing much easier now.

Always hard putting this one back in it's case as it is so sweet and easy to play. Hope to do a demo sound video soon to demonstrate what these things sound like played Mono though one amp and then Stereo through 2 different amps.

Dedman
14-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Looks great Waz, bet it sounds even better

wazkelly
14-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Thanks Dedman. They sound better than they look and play even better than they sound too if that makes any sense?

Seriously, they have the fastest and thinnest neck I have ever played on a Bass. So much so it is almost guitar like compared to some Fender styles with their chunky half a baseball bat neck profiles.

Simon Barden
14-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Very nice indeed. Our old bass player had one and it sounded great but he was a hard plucker and his strings were always clanking on the treble bezel. Nothing I could do to lower it, so it stayed clanky. But now I know that he can fit a replacement flat unit, his clanky days should be over (once he returns in a year or so's time from sailing round the Caribbean). Very useful bit of information there, Waz. Thanks!

stan
15-11-2016, 03:07 AM
enjoy Waz, it's a ripper

FrankenWashie
15-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Noice, very Noice. Look forward to your sound tests!